Elevator Doors

Madison

Her feet ached from being crammed into narrow stilettos all day. Kept on her toes, working for Bellezza wore her down, a little more every day. New trends, deadlines and editing nightmares lurked around every corner, things no journalism class ever prepared you for. But Madison was fierce. She knew to be in the industry of high fashion, you had to have guts, and confidence in every step you took. If you didn’t, the sharks would eat you alive. Unfortunately for her colleagues, Madison was a shark herself.

With a purpose, Madison pushed her palm into the revolving glass door, entering the hotel lobby. When Madison entered a room, people looked at her. Maybe it was the way her hair hung in a geometric bob, or maybe the clothes that seemed fit only for some Italian runway. Madison liked to believe it was an acknowledgment of power; an act of submission.

The sound of her heels clicking against each granite tile seemed to silence the room, although Madison never noticed. She was absorbed in her blackberry, replying to emails and texting her imbecilic excuses for assistants. While trying to explain the importance of nailing a photo shoot with the latest runway starlet, some woman had the audacity to walk in front of Madison.

With utter contempt in her eyes, Madison glared at the mess of the woman. Her black hair shot out of her messy bun at all angles. She was stout and five sizes too large for Madison’s taste, without a bit of make-up to cover the wrinkles blatantly hanging off her face. Judging from her stereotypical navy blue dress and apron, Madison knew she was nothing more than “the help.” Probably working here illegally, Madison thought to herself. How arrogant, she must be Madison thought, to just dart in front of her like that, without a sign of respect.

The woman looked down at her feet and mumbled something. A thick Hispanic accent prevented Madison from understanding anything she said, as if Madison even wanted to talk to a woman like that. With a scowl on her face, Madison simply said one word- Move!

Pushing past the bewildered woman, Madison walked to the elevator doors. All she wanted was to reach the top, enter her penthouse and relax away her cares with a glass of velvety red wine. She pressed the golden button, beckoning the elevator to carry her away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really excited about this story. In the next few chapters, I'll continue to introduce the characters, and after you've met them all, you'll see how they come to meet each other. =]