SING.

A System Failure for the Masses.

That night passed slowly, the hot desert air suffocating me inside of the tent. Breathing it in would take getting used too, seeing as the dirt particles mixed in it kept choking me. Rolling around through out the night I accidentally woke Motor Baby up twice. She didn’t seem to mind because each time she would just hug my waist again and fall asleep once more, trying to hold me tight enough to keep me still. The second time I woke her up she handed me my bag full of water, hoping the warmed liquid would help.

It didn’t.

By the time the serpent sun rose over the horizon, the Killjoys were already up and dressed, ready to tackle the day. I woke up to an empty tent, realizing that Girl wasn’t next to me anymore. I stood and stumbled out of the tent.

Gerard threw clothes at me, and then a mask which dropped to the sandy desert floor. “Dress quickly, and hurry up, we don’t have all day.” He said, and growled as he turned away and stormed off toward the muscle cars.

I watched as he trudged away in skin tight gray jeans, combat boots and a leather jacket, his messy hair being wrestled around by the wind. He was actually a very handsome man. I bit my lip, turned on my heel and walked into the small bathroom of the gas station.

My clothes slid to the dirty ground and I pulled on the black skinny jeans and white combat boots laced with purple shoe strings. They were regular, nothing special about them. I pulled the belt through the lips, it was white and slick like the shoes with studded diamonds all around it. It was too big so I tightened as good as it would go and let the rest stick out and show, some what of a fashion statement.

The black sleeveless shirt he threw at me was too big, so I had to take one of the shoe strings and tie it around the side to tighten it up. The arms were low and showed the sides of my white bra. I sighed. I felt really uncomfortable, seeing as the sides of the shirt was cut from the shoulder, all the way down to the bottom, showing off my bra and my sides. When the wind would blow, everything would be seen. I frowned.

I took the other shoe lace out too and just threw it away. The boots still stayed on nicely, being to small. They were probably an old pair of Girl’s.

Grabbing up the nice leather jacket, I slid it on. It was black and slick and shiny like my shoes and had a awesome looking purple stripe going from my shoulder, down to the bottom left side of the jacket. On the side sleeve was a rounded blob with sharp teeth, in a circle. I guess that could stand for a monster.

I flipped the collar of the jacket up around my neck and found some black make up in the bathroom. I made war stripes on my cheek bones and rounded my eyes with black. Walking out Gerard looked over, shocked. Maybe thinking, ‘How did she make that out fit look good?’

“Get in the back,” Gerard growled, opening the door for me as he got in the front seat, next to Dr. Death. I slid in the back leather seat, and saw Gerard cringe again.

Dr. Death looked up at me, through the rear view window. “Can you speak? Or were you born mute?” He asked, looking at me, curiously.

I bit my lip, and held up one finger.

“So you’ve talked before?” I nodded. “So you’ve forgotten?” I nodded once again. “Well, later I’ll get someone to try and help you speak again.” He cast a look at Gerard, who tightened his grip on the steering wheel and slit his eyes, keeping them directly on the dusty road. He slammed his foot down on the gas, going over one hundred mph. I slammed against the seat, wearing a seat-belt. My eyes widened.

Gerard looked up at the rearview and smirked. I frowned. Does he not like me? “You okay?” He tried to keep a snicker out of his voice.

I nodded, and remained out of conversation the rest of the ride.

-

When the car stopped in the middle of the desert, Gerard got out, hand on his holster. “I saw something…” He informed Dr. Death.

Doctor smiled. “Go with him, Battery.”

Gerard turned and glared Dr. Death. I frowned and got out of the black Trans Am. Gerard handed me his other yellow ray gun. “Shoot anything that moves.” He growled. Does that include him? I rolled my eyes, I don’t even know how to aim. I was more for knives, then anything. I followed him into the desert.

I couldn’t help but look up to him. He seemed like such a good killjoy, someone I could learn from. He searched the land, looking around, “He’s here somewhere…” He muttered more to himself then me. I looked around as well and thought I saw something, it was white, and nothing out here in the desert was that clean. It was coward behind a rock. I went and tapped Gerard’s shoulder and pointed at it.

He shoved past me, and walked toward it slowly, arming himself with the ray gun. He aimed, right when the Draculoid ran from behind the rock, and I tried shooting at it. PEW! The gun sounded and went off, I fell backwards and missed the Draculoid.

“You idiot! Now, look! It got away! I knew I should have left you in the car!” Gerard growled and stormed back to the car. “I was planning to take him back and interrogate him! Good going!”

I frowned and followed, feeling ashamed and disappointed.

Way to go, Battery….

I slid back into the car and put the gun on the console of the car. “Calm down Gerard, there’s a lot more Draculoids and Exterminators hiding out in these hot, sandy death trap. We’re going to lose a lot, but training her is first priority.” Dr. Death lectured him.

Gerard growled and started the car. You could tell he wanted to say something, smart off, cuss me out. You could just see the anger on his face. The death glare that beamed from his eyes. He just backed the car up and scowled.

We returned to base, Dr. Death not so unhappy. He didn’t seem to mind that a Draculoid, that could have been exterminated, got away. At least one person wasn’t upset with me. I guess that meant a lot, but still, I wanted to make Gerard proud, for some odd reason that was unexplainable to me.

When we walked into the diner, Gerard threw me a can of kibble, dog food, blech. “Eat it all,” he growled, “We don’t waste food around here.”

I sat down and looked at the brown mush in disgust.

What a wonderful new life I had.

Well, it was better then back in Battery City.
♠ ♠ ♠
xo.