Status: Complete. Sad...

He Who Walks Among Roses

Duodecim - It doesn't pay to be beautiful.

Evalin spent her nights in this sick game that Cash had created. It had been nearly two weeks since her first night here. The number of girls in his system had grown to nearly twenty now. They were there to service the men that paid for the hour. There was no way to refuse them or you would be beaten, and occasionally girls would overdose from the amount of drugs they were taking, or they'd go through menstruation and the men wouldn't pay full price for them - the were placed in a separate room: The "Discount" room. She had kept herself out of that room. What worried her was what would happen when they realized she was pregnant. If she was here long enough... they'd find out. She couldn’t let Cash take her child again.

Another man came in that night, he strolled next to the beds that held these helpless women. He picked the girl he liked most, it seems he had picked a girl from Latin descent. She had long black hair and striking features - sadly she was pretty, and most of the men that visited this business picked the prettier girls. These women were constantly strung out on heroine. They wanted the women to be docile and not fight the men - one night a young girl was being raped by a man, she started coming out of her trance and she began to scream at what was happening to her. She never came back after they pulled her out of the room. Evalin assumed they pumped so many drugs into her that she overdosed and died. The man that had to deal with his purchase scratching him was later compensated and he was allowed to choose any girl of his choice and he was allowed to visit her twice without payment. And the girl he chose - was Evalin.
________________________________________________________________________

Murphy sat back at Doc’s bar, he was waiting for Evalin to come downstairs. They were supposed to run away together tonight. They would be free and alive with each other. When she showed up she was ugly. Her eyes were sunken, and her flesh – pale. She looked as though she hadn’t eaten in weeks. When Murphy asked her what was wrong she spoke, but no sounds escaped her lips. She was silent. Then after a while she said nothing. And she just cried, but he couldn’t touch her. She didn’t exist.
________________________________________________________________________

"Get the fuck up." Connor kicked Murphy, he had been fallen asleep drunk on the couch every night for the last two weeks.
"Go Fuck yerself." Murphy replied.
"Listen Murph. I get that yer hurt. I get tha'. But you can't do this every nigh'."
"Can." he said. The phone rang.
"You gotta get yer shit tagether." It rang again. "Now things are juss normal." it rang again.

"What!" Connor yelled into the phone still angry.
"Well fer fucks sake. PISS I wanted FUCK PISS. t-t-o call, and check in."
"Well nice of ya ta call. Things are pretty shitty."
"Whats' goin' on then? Did Murphy not like the idea of a little child?"
"What." Connor said blankly.
"I thought Evie was going to call. Although I realized she took ma phone. She coulda called the bar - and I woulda called sooner juss with doctor appointments and the bar I've been a busy man."
"Murphy wake up - now!" Connor said covering the mic.
"Wait wait wait - what are you talking about? We called you and got your brother." Connor said.
"Ma brother? He died lass year." Doc said.
"Oh - okay. Murphy we have a problem." Connor said kicking the hungover man on the couch.
"Well I wanna know what Murphy did when Evie told him the news."
"What news. That she wasn't coming?" Connor said.
"WHAT! FER FUCKS SAKE! She's. not. there?" he said breathlessly.
“No – because your brother said she was with you!”
“ I D-DON’T HAVE A B-BROTHER!” Doc yelled. Murphy was looking at Connor quizzically wondering how the conversation was going to end. He actually had a glimmer of hope that the whole situation was just a mix-up.
“Ok – calm down. You thought she was here? Because we thought she was there.”
“I assumed she was there the whole time.” Doc said.
“Then we have a problem – she’s not here an’ she’s not there, where the fuck is she?” Connor asked. Murphy was sobering up fast. He took the phone from Connor.
“Doc – she really isn’t there?” he asked.
“No, and I know she wanted to be with you Murph. The night before she left she found out you two were going to have a baby.”
“We’ll be on the next flight.”
*click*
♠ ♠ ♠
Another two weeks later, see I promised this story would be good, just slow. I'll probably post later tonight. Thanks for the loving comments. I feel like It would've been better to drag this out a bit more but I couldn't wait.