Status: Complete. Sad...

He Who Walks Among Roses

Viginti - Another Heart Beat

Murphy sat in the living area of their small motel room. Today they were going to move back to the bar. It’d still stay closed But the boys could look after it for Doc. Doc never left the hospital, they had the staff believing he was her father and they let him use the second bed in her room to sleep. Murphy had talked to her once since he’d left. Every other time he called Doc said she was sleeping, which he knew was a lie because when he called the hospital, they told her she hadn’t slept for two days.

The Chemicals in her system were like sludge. The amount of poison in her system had decreased since he’d been there, but it happened slowly. It was some synthetic drug that they weren’t quite sure how to get rid of. It had traces of oil in it along with opium and various drugs. Still, they told him she was lucky, nearly a third of the girls found alive still hadn’t regained consciousness.

The Papers had written about the notorious “Boston Saints.” There was extreme excitement from them being back. The news, papers, citizens – everyone talking about the vigilante men that did the “work of god.”

________________________________________________________________________

“Doc, I’m fine.”
“Drink it.” This time is was Doc serving her medication and orange juice. Doc left the pills before her on her table; he left to go to his check up with the doctors.
“At least eat something.” He tried to reason. When he left Evalin threw them in the trash. The doctors were medicating her disregarding the child. She still had hope that she hadn’t lost this baby too.

There was a knock at her door. In walked a woman in a white lab coat.
“Hi, I’m doctor Lovelace. The Obstetrician?”
“Oh hello,” Evalin replied.
“The doctors told me you were a little worried about the pregnancy?”
“Well we don’t really know where its at. The drugs were pretty nasty.”
“I heard! They asked me to come take a look and try and evaluate any damage and Asses the situation with the baby.”
“Thank God.” Evalin said.

The doctor was a very kind woman, she was un her mid fifties, she had seen many women make it through difficult pregnancies, that’s why she seemed so calm.
“Well give me an estimate on how far along you think you were.”
“Well… at least three. I lost track of time in that place.”
“No no, your about spot on, give or take a few weeks; More than likely give. Seems to look like three months, two weeks?”
“Wait… so the baby is still there?” Evalin asked.
“Seems so. We can do an ultrasound to give it a look.” She pulled out the machine and lubed her body with warm gel.

Within Moments Evalin heard a fast paced heart beat.
“Fetus looks… a little under developed. Naturally since you’ve been malnourished.”
“So… can I get something to help with that?”
“You want to keep the baby?” she asked quizzically.
“Yes. Its MY BABY. I had it with me before I was in that place.”
“Oh so there is a man in your life. I assumed because no one else had visited…”
“So the doctors weren’t worrying about my pregnancy because they thought it was from one of these men that got me pregnant?”
“I believe so. But we can get right on treatment. I’ll go get you some pre-natal meds and we can start therapy.”
“Okay.” Doctor Lovelace left, Evalin didn’t want to snap at her, just at the doctors that had been treating her the last two days. Evalin’s baby was okay, she wished she could get out of this place and see Murphy to tell him the good news. Hopefully it was good news to him.
________________________________________________________________________

The doctors started her on a rigorous detoxifying treatment. Basically they pumped her body full of vitamins and she spent most of her day at the gym, in the spa. After the first day she felt a little better, and the doctors believed a niacin treatment for the other girls would be beneficial as well. Luckily they were making progress Evalin wanted to be out of the hospital as soon as she could.
________________________________________________________________________

“MURPHY.” He was asleep. Eventually his body wouldn’t let him stay up and crashed. He surprisingly hadn’t talked to Doc for a while now. The bar had been closed and he figured that it was time for a drink. Connor followed him, they both lit a cigarette and sat at the bar. He poured himself a beer and called Duffy.
“So how’d the press go?”
“Not bad, I think they assume you’ve fled. You heard from Bloom or Smecker yet?”
“No. But I’m sure they will call soon. Or show up. Either way they’re gonna beat us like and Irish woman would.”
“Well that sounds unpleasant.”
“I’m sure it will be.”
“They want to give me an award for saving those girls since I technically found them first.”
“Oh is tha’ right?” Murphy asked with a smile. “H’ow she doin’ anyway?”
“Not bad, I heard they have her on weird treatment. That she’s getting better. I’m going in to talk to her today. Maybe she’ll give you a call.”
“Ha. Maybe.” They hung up and Murphy sipped his beer.

“You gonna marry tha’ girl Murph?” Connor asked. “Come on, Brother to Brother. Let me in on whats going in yer head.”
“I didn’t know. I don’t know. I thought we’d cross that bridge after a few years in Ireland if all went well.”
"So... do ya love 'er?"
"Yeh - Suppose I do. I tore myself up over her leaving me... when she really didn't its just hard to backtrack down that path."
"I understand." Connor said. "What about the baby?"
"Well that would've been interestin'. Didn't Ma say sumthin' about our spawn bein' the spawn from hell? Murphy smiled.
"I don't quite remember tha' one. But I remember something about our children bein' ugly."
"Ha, what a woman." Murphy said.
"Well I think you woulda made a good dad."
"Least I woulda been out of prison." Murphy laughed.
"Well I think the important thing here is Dad woulda liked Evie, and loved whatever came out of that woman."
"Aye - he would've."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Comment/Sub Whatever. Much love :)