‹ Prequel: Twins.

The Road.

Chapter 20.

I stare at the door with the number '73' on in and take in a deep breath, I really didn't know if I was going to be to control my nerves around Ariana, part of me wanted to confess and just let it out and tell her how sorry I was for doing what I did. Tell her that it wasn't my intention to cause her any pain.

I knew she was staying with Charlie for the moment because she had called me last night so we could meet up today.

She's not going to find out, everything is going to be okay. I repeat Alex's words in my head and finally get the courage to knock on the door.

"Coming!" I hear Charlie call out as his footsteps become closer.

"Meghan! It's so nice to see you again!" he shrieks taking me into a hug.

"You too!" I reply matching his enthusiasm.

"Please tell me you agree that Alex is a douchebag, and that we're totally going to make him suffer for cheating and hurting our poor Ariana."

"How could I not agree to that?" I say as if it were the most obvious thing.

"Anywho, I gotta run, but Ariana is in the room at the end of the hall," Charlie tells me as he points me into the direction.

"Hopefully I'll see you later," I tell him and walk through the hall, then I knock on the door.

"Come in," I hear Ariana's faint voice.

I open the door and give her a smile as I see her sitting at the edge of her bed.

"How are you feeling?" I ask as I enter the room.

She shrugs and looks at me with a frown, "sad, angry, betrayed," she sighs and looks down at her bare feet.

"I'm sorry," I whisper as I sit on the floor with my legs crossed.

"It's not your fault." She says with a sad smile.

But it is.

"I'm sorry I made you come just so you could hear me complain, I'm sure you have more important things to do."

I shake my head and take her hand. "I'm your sister and you need me right now, you're my family and that's more important." I tell her with a smile as I feel pain go through my heart, I knew what I needed to do, even if it mean hurting myself.

"Thank you."

I nod sitting up and give her a hug.

"I have a doctor's appointment next week, and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?"

"Really? You want me to come with you?"

"Yeah, after all it's not just my baby, it's also your niece or nephew."

"Of course I'll come," I reply with a big smile.

"Have you told Carmen?"

"Why do you call mom that?"

I shrug, it just didn't sound right to me.

"No, I haven't told her. I just haven't had time with everything that's been going on."

"Does she still live in Maryland?"

"Yeah in the same house, except now she has a dog and a cat to keep her company since we both moved out."

"You think she did that on purpose?" I ask curiously.

"I'm pretty sure, I mean you're allergic to dogs, so she probably got a cat for it not to seem like she was trying to keep you away."

"Or since you're allergic to cats, she probably got a dog to make it seem like she wasn't trying to keep you away."

"She would never do that, mom loves me." Ariana says with a small laugh.

"True, she practically hates me."

"She does not, she missed you."

"When did she say that?"

"Last Christmas, Al-I went down there for the holidays, she asked if I had seen or talked to you, and I said no, I could tell she really wanted to start a new relationship with you."

"I'll try to call her later," I sigh, might as well give it a try.

"She'll like that."

We continue talking for hours remembering about the old days in High School, and about growing up away from each other, and as each hour passed I knew that what I was going to do was the right thing.

"I'll see you next week then." I tell Ariana as I give her a hug.

"Yeah, and don't forget to call mom!"

"I know, and you too! She's going to be thrilled when she heard the news about you being pregnant."

"No she's going to go baby crazy, and she's going to give me and endless list of baby names, I know, I just have this feeling."

"I don't doubt you," I laugh and wave goodbye as I step out of the apartment.

I sigh and stuff my hands into my pockets as I feel my happy mood turn into a sad one. I hail a cab and head to my condo

As I walk out of the elevator I notice someone standing in front of my door.

"Jack?" I ask not believing my eyesight.

"Oh, I was just about to knock."

"What are you doing here?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

"I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?" I ask but I had a feeling I knew what he was referring to.

"Alex."

"Jack please, I don't need another person telling me what a terrible person I am, I know that I am. I know that what I'm doing is wrong and that's why I've decided to ended it with Alex." I say as I tear up.

"Oh, I thought you-"

"You thought I didn't have a heart? Or a conscience? Because I do. I'm just selfish, I just wanted to feel like I mattered, I wanted to believe there was someone out there who liked me for me and not just my money."

"I thought you loved him."

"I do love him! But I can't be with him knowing what Ariana is going through, and I know he doesn't love me, why would anyone love someone like me?"

Jack stares at me with pity written all over his eyes.

"Excuse me, I'm going to go drown in my self-pity," I say and unlock my door.

"Meghan-"

"Bye," I cut him off and shut the door.

I drag my feet towards my room as I begin to cry, I drop on my bed and hug my feeling as I let out a sob. I was going to lose the one guy that made me happy, the one guy who made me feel special and important, the one guy I loved. I was losing Alex again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update.
C: