‹ Prequel: Twins.

The Road.

Chapter 38.

I could feel Alex holding my hand; it made me feel safe and secure, like everything was going to be okay as long as he was by my side. I wanted to squeeze back to let him know how much him being here with me meant to me. But all I could do was lie in this horrible hospital bed unable to speak, unable to move, unable to see anything. All I could do was listen.

I wanted to tell him how much I regretted lying to him that day he left. I wanted to tell him how much I still do love him, and how much I still want to be with him.

"I'm so sorry," Alex spoke in a soft voice.

"I'm so sorry that I didn't try harder, I'm so sorry I accepted that it was over, I should have tried harder."

I could hear the torment in his voice, he was blaming himself for everything that had happened, but it wasn't his fault, it was all mine.

All my bad choices.

I should have fought harder; I should have listened to my gut.

"After everything we went through, I love you even more Meghan."

"I wish you could forgive me for all the pain that I have caused you, for all the pain I put you through."

"Oh," I hear someone say as the door open.

"I didn't know you where here." I hear Ariana say.

"I was just leaving," Alex says as I hear him stand up.

"I love you," he whispers kissing me on the forehead.

"How is she?"

"Same as yesterday," Alex replies before walking out.

Ariana sighs as she sat on the chair beside me.

"I wish I could say that it doesn't hurt, but it does,"

"I know I have Jack and I love him very much, but Alex was still such a huge part in my life, he was my everything, and I seriously believed we were going to spend the rest of our lives together."

"He loves you, I can tell by the way he looks at you, I can also see the way he blames himself for everything that happened, how much he didn't mean to hurt you... or me. He was just confused, I guess in a way he really didn't know what he had until he lost you," Ariana spoke in a trembling voice.

"I forgive you, I just hope it's not too late. I really want you to meet the twins, Sydney looks a lot like Alex, and Savannah looks just like... well us," she laughed softly, I could tell she was crying.

"Imagine if we had grown up together, we wouldn't have allowed a guy come between us."

"Our lives would have been so different, none of this would have happen-"

"What the hell are you doing here!?" I heard Alex scream from outside the room.

"I could ask the same for you!"

My heart began to beat hard against my rib cage as I heard Nathan's voice.

"Get the fuck out!" Alex threatened just as Ariana stood up from the chair.

"I need to talk to her, tell her how sorry I am."

"It's too late for that, now leave before I call the cops," Ariana was the one who spoke this time.

"I didn't mean to hit her that hard."

"That hard!?" Alex screamed furiously.

"Alex don't!" Ariana shouted, probably preventing Alex from punching Nathan.

"What is going on here, this a hospital for crying out loud." I heard an unfamiliar voice.

"He's responsible for what happened to her!" Alex shouted angrily

"Sir, please come with me or I'll have to escort you out with force."

Everything went silent and then I heard a pair of footsteps walking towards me.

"I won't let him hurt you ever again, I promise," Alex tells me as he takes my hand in his.

"I will never let anyone hurt you."

_____________________________________ALEX.

"You must really love her," I hear Meghan's nurse say as she walks into the room.

"She's very lucky to have you, after everything she has been through."

"I shouldn't have let her go in the first place," I mumble.

"I'm sure she knows how much she means to you. You've been here very single day for the past month, reading to her, talking to her, telling her much you love her-"

"None of that matter if she can't hear me." I murmur.

"Don't worry, everything will turn out to be okay," she tells me with a small smile and then walks away.

I really wish I could believe what she had said about everything turning out to be okay. What if Meghan couldn't hear anything I said? What if she didn't want to see me when she woke up? What if she still hated me for everything? How would I be able to just walk away without my heart?

"Everything will be alright," I tell myself hoping it was true.

__________________________________MEGHAN.

I could hear a loud beeping noise as my eyes opened slowly, everything was a blur, there were so many faces I didn't recognize, so many unfamiliar voices. I felt so weak and exhausted, I just wanted to go back to sleep.

"I want to see her," My eyes began scanning the room frantically trying to find the face that voice belonged to.

"Alex," I tried screaming out but my voice was hardly audible.

"Please sir you need to exit the room,"

"Alex," I chocked out but my mouth was really dry.

"Meghan, can you hear me?" the voice sounded familiar.

"She doesn't seem to be responding," she spoke again, this time I recognized her voice, it was the nurse who always came to check up on me.

"Meghan," she spoke again, this time my eyes met hers.

_____________________________________ALEX.

"How long ago did she wake up?" Ariana asked running out of breath

"Right before I called you."

"Is she okay?"

"I don't know, they won't let me see her"

"They're probably just checking to make sure everything is okay."

I nod unable to speak. I had been waiting for this day to come for so long, and I really didn't know why I felt so scared.

"we should probably sit down, it might take a while"

I nod and begin walking to the waiting room with Ariana.

"Is Jack with the girls?" I ask after a moment of silence.

"Yeah, he's been such a great help."

Silence soon followed, and I couldn't stand it. I didn't want my relationship with Ariana to be this way, for god's sake she used to be my best friend, we used to tell each other everything, we would do everything together, and now we couldn't even have a proper conversation.

"I know things will never be the same between us, but I want us to work on being friends again."

Ariana looks at me with a small smile and nods. "I think that would be best, after all we do have two kids together."

"I don't want then to grow up seeing us the way we are right now."

"Friends?" She asks extending out her hand.

"Friends." I say with a smile as I shake her hand.

"I'm looking for miss. Carlson's family?" A doctor says as he steps into the waiting room.

"Meghan Carlson?" Ariana asks as she stands up.

"Are you her sister?"

Ariana nods and then looks at me, "I'll let her know you're here." she tells me and then walks away with the doctor.

I breathe in deeply and exhale out slowly, I wanted to clear out my mind but all I could think of was her. Questions and 'what ifs' flooded my mind causing my stomach to tighten.

"Are you okay?"

I look up from the floor and look in Ariana's concerned face.

"Yeah... that was fast."

"What are you talking about?"

I look at the clock and realize that I had completely lost track of time, a whole hour had passed without me even noticing.

"I got lost in my thoughts." I said as I stood up from my chair.

"Stop worrying, everything is going to be okay." She tells me and I smile before heading out into the hall.

I could feel my heart beating in my ears, I tried ignoring as I focused on walking down the hall towards Meghan's room.

This was it.

The moment I had been waiting for.

I take in one last breath as I stare at her door.

"Everything will be okay," I breathe out as I open the door.

My eyes quickly land on hers, I could tell she had been crying just a few minutes ago from all the red and puffiness in her eyes.

I smiled at her, I was lost for words.

"Alex," she speaks in a low voice as her lips begin to tremble.

I quickly make my way towards her, "don't. It's okay."

"I'm so sorry." she cries out, new tears running down her face.

"No, I'm sorry, I'm the one who should be asking for forgiveness." I tell her as I cup her face in my hands.

"I love you."

"I love you too," I whisper and lean in to kiss her.

I had been waiting for this moment for so long.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been too long!
But here it is! :D