‹ Prequel: Twins.

The Road.

Chapter 8.

Why did she decide to talk to me now? I wonder as I pace through my living room, I mean Ariana and I had never been close, and when we did start to get acquainted we lost touch, partly because I moved away and in a way I tried to forget everything from the past, including her.

“It’s just a coffee,” I murmur to myself, Ariana and I had decided on me heading over to her house for some coffee just to chat and catch up.

I grab my tote bag and cardigan from the couch and head out of my condo.

I walk out of the building and a taxi was already waiting for me. Ariana didn’t live far from where I lived, which I figured as seeing she had a good paying job.

A couple of minutes later I arrive to Ariana’s apartment complex, I pay the driver and get out of the taxi, I take in a deep breath and enter the building, I head to the elevator and press Ariana’s floor number.

I tap my finger against my thigh as I look at the numbers change on the elevator, “it’s just coffee,” I repeat to myself and head over to Ariana’s apartment number. I take in one last deep breath and knock.

“Hey, come on in,” Ariana tells me as she steps aside; I give her a small smile and walk in.

“I’m glad you came,” Ariana says as she leads me towards her living room.

I feel a small hint of pain go through my body as I see all the pictures of her and her friends, and not to mention Alex, she seems so happy… she was happy. She had everything a person would ever want.

“Me too,” I say with a small smile.

“You can go ahead and sit, I’ll go get the coffee,” she says and walks towards the kitchen.
I sigh and sit down wondering if Ariana felt as awkward as me.

“So how have you been?” She asks as she brings a tray consisting of coffee mugs, coffee, and sugar.

“I’ve been good, keeping myself busy with work and stuff… how about you?”

“Pretty much the same,” she replies and pours herself some coffee.

“So have you been in New York this whole time?”

I shake my head, “I actually went to Paris, and I lived there for three years before coming to New York three months ago.”

“Oh so that’s where you ran into Alex.”

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“Well he told me you were the one that told him about us being twins.”

“Oh, yeah… I’m sorry about that, I thought he knew.”

“It’s okay, I mean he was angry at first, but he got over it.”

“That’s good,” I say as my eyes begin to wonder, I could feel the tension and awkwardness in the room.

“Look Ariana, I don’t want us to pretend like we’re the best of friends, because honestly we’re not. But I do want us to start over; I want us to be real sisters.”

“I’m glad to hear that, I want the same thing.”

I smile at her and pick up my cup of coffee.

“I love the new hair color by the way,”

“Oh, thanks. I realized black was not my color,” she says as she laughs a bit.

“I like the brown, it fits your complexion and it brings out your eyes.”

“Thanks, and I can see you stayed with the blue and purple.”

“Yeah, I’m too scared to change it, I’ve had it for so long that I feel like it’s my natural hair color,” I laugh as I shrug.

“It fits your personality, you know artistic and ready to take on new adventures in life.”

“Thanks, that’s really nice of you.”

“So… anybody special in your life?” Arians asks with a bright smile.

“I haven’t quite met my prince charming.”

“He’ll come looking for you sooner or later.”

“Yeah, when I’m like eighty!” I say laughing.

“Don’t say that! You’re still young, and beautiful, and he’s out there somewhere.”

I smile and nod, I wanted to believe in what she had said, but I knew it wasn’t true, because the person I wanted to be with was Alex, and he already had his princess.

“I’m really enjoying this, and I was wondering if you wanted to come to my newest model agency grand opening? You can invite Alex and your friends if you like.”

“Really? You want me to come?”

“Of course, I mean sisters support each other, right? It would mean a lot if you where there.”

“Absolutely, I think that’s a wonderful idea, I’m so happy that we’re finally able to have a normal conversation and make plans.”

“Me too, I wished it would have happened sooner, but at least we’re doing it now,” I say with a smile.

“I should probably start heading home, I still have some last minute things to prepare,” I say as I set down my cup of coffee.

I hear the door open as I stand up from the couch.

“Hey babe, I forgot my-” Alex stops in mid sentence as he sees me standing next to Ariana.

“…wallet.” He finishes and walks over to the coffee table, where his wallet is laying on.

“I was just heading out, nice seeing you again Alex.”

“Well I’m actually heading out, I can walk you out if you’d like,” he says with a smile.

“Oh yea sure,”

“It was nice talking to you Meghan, we’ll keep in touch.”

“Yeah absolutely, I’ll text you the details for the grand opening later, and we definitely need to do this more often.”

“I’ll see you later babe,” Alex says and gives her a small kiss on the lips.

I look away feeling a bit sad, they looked so happy and in love. I walk out of the apartment and wait for Alex to step outside.

A few seconds later he walks out and closes the door, “I didn’t know you and Ariana were talking,” he says as we head towards the envelope.

“We weren’t, but we’re trying to work on our relationship.”

“That’s good.”

“Do you want to come over?” I ask suddenly as the elevator doors close.

Alex looks at me and then a grin appears on his face, “yeah.”

A smile appears on my face, I loved spending time with Alex, when I’m with him it’s as if I actually matter, that I have someone who cares about me, and I don’t feel so lonely in this world.

A few minutes later we arrive at my condo complex; Alex wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him as we walk in. As soon as we enter the elevator and the doors close Alex picks me up and pins me against the wall and begins to kiss me.

I run my fingers through his soft hair and kiss him back trying not to giggle; I pull away and stare at him with a smile, “do you know they have cameras in here?” I ask

“I bet they’re enjoying it as much as we are,” he says and begins to kiss me once more, I feel his body against my own as his hands move up and down my thighs.

“I’m hoping I’m not interrupting something,” I hear a voice causing both Alex and I to separate from each other.

Alex puts me down as my cheeks turn red from embarrassment.

“Oh hey Nathan… uh this is Alex… and old friend,” I say stepping out of the elevator.

“Nice meeting you,” Nathan says to Alex.

“Same to you,”

And then the elevator doors close again.

“Is he a friend?” Alex asks as we walk towards my condo.

“Kind of, he’s my neighbor.”

Alex walks behind me and wraps his arms around my body as we head into my condo.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here you go.
hope you guys liked it.