Sequel: Popped the Question

The Center

The Garden Cafe

Frank:

After spending hours in my college’s student library writing and typing an eight page paper for my philosophy class and then creating a power point presentation to go with it, I was finally done and dragging my sorry ass back to my dorm room.

I’d been at school for a month or so and I was already itching to get out. The work load was upped just above a little more than a notch, barely giving me any time for myself during the week, and I really couldn’t even work on any of it in my own room because my roommate and his girlfriend fuck like rabbits 27/7. It’s a wonder the two of them have time to get anything else done because I sure as hell know that I’d barely get by!

Outside of school life, there is no other life for me.

I go home literally every weekend and have breakfast with my mom. Over coffee we talk about how boring college classes are and how The Center is running now that elementary school has started up again. Not so secretly I really want to ask how Sebastian’s been keeping up, but there never seems to be a right time. She hasn’t even mentioned him, which I know she knows is absolutely killing me inside. I think she feels as if she’s protecting me by not talking about him, though. I think she’s trying to detach me from him. And, really, it’s probably for the best. He’s just a very quiet little boy who has a sad backstory and I was just a daycare worker who had a big heart. I wouldn’t be there for him forever, and he wouldn’t always need me to save him. I just hope that no one was saying anything about me in front of him, just like my mother was keeping him from me…

Ray’s workaholic lifestyle hasn’t given up and he’s forever a slave to his father and his company. I’m proud of my best friend, though, because he’s actually trying to make something of him and Bob. Never going into great detail, he’s told me about their late-night conversations over text and or how they even met for coffee because they happened to have the same hour for break once. He hasn’t popped the question or anything like that, but he’s definitely made progress. I haven’t had any contact with Bob, but I was thinking about taking over my mom’s living room some weekend to have another movie night.

Calling for a movie night, though, would mean that I’d have to pry my darling cousin away from her now supposedly serious boyfriend. His name was Mike or Mickey or something. I’ve yet to have the pleasure of meeting him, but I know that if Alicia isn’t at school or doing homework or working for the daycare then she was with this kid. As long as she’s not getting into trouble and making stupid decisions, then I didn’t care, but if she really is crazy about this guy then he and I will be having a talk at some time. She’s the younger sister I never had, and I needed to do my duty as the big brother figure to scare the living shit out of the guy.

I’d talk to Cora every once in a while on Facebook Chat, but nothing more than a ‘Hey, how are you doing? What are your plans for the week? Blah blah blah. Hope all is well, bye’ every time. She was a really good friend at work, but it felt as if we were becoming old friends who’ve drifted apart. Now I kind of felt like Cora could be categorized with most kids here at school: friendly acquaintances. I’d have casual conversations with people inside and out of classes, I’d be invited to parties and go to one or two of them to hang out, have a smoke and a beer, but none of them were really any of my friends. Just a few people I know.

By late September the air was chilly, but kind of refreshing. I despised August’s humidity but it was extremely annoying when it was comfortable enough to walk to classes without a hoodie and then have to sit through a lecture, shivering, because the AC hasn’t been shut off yet because professors sweat way too much. You’d think I’d smarten up and bring something with me, but I never seem to remember in the mornings as I’m dashing out of the door to grab a coffee and trying not to be late. Tonight, however, I’d wished I not only had a sweatshirt for my classes, but for the walk home, too.

I was tired, cranky, hungry, and cold! That makes for an unhappy Frank.

When I’d finally made it to the third floor that housed my cramped dorm room I silently leaned in and pressed my ear to the wooden door, closed my eyes, and tried my best to hear if anything was going on. There was no creaking of the uncomfortable twin bed, and no one was breathing heavy or moaning, from what I could tell. I wasn’t lucky enough to have a room with a personal bathroom, so I knew the two of them couldn’t be doing the nasty in there, either. I figured the coast was clear and entered a dorm that hardly seemed to be half mine and was glad that they had taken their activities elsewhere for the evening. Though, the smell of sex was definitely in the air…

Collapsing onto my bed just seconds after I let my heavy messenger bag plop to the floor, I let out a content sigh. My feet, still trapped in my shoes, tingled and wanted out. The seams of my snug jeans pressed into each side of my thighs, making me want to search for something baggy to change into but also reminding me that I’m far too lazy to get up again. My back was aching from the weight of books I carry around daily, though, the unconscious position I put myself in made it feel so much better. My bed sheets were cool to the touch, making me shiver, but I didn’t mind. When my warm face hit my pillow I felt completely comfortable and was glad I did all of my homework for the next day because pretty soon I was knocked out cold.

---

I’ve always found it useful to set my cell phone alarm to music that was loud and obnoxious. It gets me awake and out of bed faster. Bouncing Soul’s ‘Kids And Heroes’ blasted at seven AM as usual, making my whole body jolt and jerk. When I first started rooming with Zack, my roommate, I felt bad setting my alarm for such an early time, but between all of his sexcapades and the fact that he doesn’t even budge in the mornings, I could care less now. I noticed he wasn’t even in the room as I glanced over to the direction of his bed and scoffed.

Must be nice.

I heaved myself out of bed and began to carry out my morning routine, coming up with some clothes that didn’t smell, making my bed half-ass, taking a much needed shower and then dashing out to get coffee before my nine AM class. This semester’s Friday schedule had me down for political science and philosophy, not two of my easiest courses, but necessary. Plus, it gave me Wednesday’s off, so I didn’t mind all too much. After two hours and forty minutes, though, I was relieved that the rest of my day was free! I decided to risk what was left of my innocence and go back to my dorm to drop my bag off and grab some cash to treat myself to lunch off campus. I had homework, but I figured I could do that during the weekend or something.

I must have come into luck or something, because Zack and his girlfriend weren’t here again and the sex smell wasn’t too prominent anymore. Having the place to myself, I took advantage of the time I had and packed a bag so I could go home as quickly as possible. Most kids couldn’t wait to get away from the nest, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve really grown closer to my mom and latched on. Her and I have been through hell and back and there was no way I’d allow our relationship to falter.

Mom obviously wasn’t at the house when I got there, so I let myself in. I could have saved money and made myself a sandwich but that seemed like the boring way out. My dirty laundry was laid next to the washing machine in a crumbled mess and my over night bag was thrown on my bed. I grabbed the magnetic notepad from the refrigerator and left my mother a note, telling her I came over and if I wasn’t back by the time she got home that I’d be back.

The Garden Café was a local Jersey shop for vegetarians and vegans. I go vegan every once in a while but for the most part I give in to simply being a good ol’ veggie. The place was pretty empty, probably because most people had classes or work, which gave me free reign for seating, so I chose the corner by the window. The whole design of the building was small and comfy, sort of boxy and laid back. The kind of people who came here were looking for a quiet place to sit and relax without the hustle and bustle of a busy coffee shop filled with suits. I ordered a Caesar salad wrap with a bag of pita chips and a peach iced tea, and after I took a bite of my wrap, I basically let my mind wander.

I dreaded going back to that dorm room where I knew Zack would eventually show up.

I considered my classes and how I should have taken four instead of five.

I realized I never gave a classmate my notes after he’d been out the day before.

I thought about Ray and how I hoped he’d allow himself some happiness with Bob.

I thought about Alicia and how I needed to meet this guy of hers, how I needed to see if I’d have to knock some sense into him.

I wondered if I needed some sense knocked into me.

I decided I’ve turned out well enough.

I smiled, thinking about the appreciation I have for my mother, who has more strength than anyone I know.

I thought about Sebastian…

I sat there, picking at my food, and thought about The Center and all of the different kids. I pictured them interacting each other, all of their personalities working with one another. I could almost hear the little girls’ giggles at the boys attempting to make underarm farts. I missed the different scribbled coloring sheets I’d receive or the big hugs I would get each day. I even missed that god damned work shirt.

But mostly I missed Sebastian.

Striking a sore spot with myself, I shook off my thoughts and made a total 360, clearing my mind. For a couple minutes I stared off into space, but when I caught myself I noticed a new and younger cashier staring right back at me without the blank expression I possessed. And if she weren’t a girl I may have even flirted a little, because hell it wouldn’t have hurt, but her gender left me completely uninterested. I finished my wrap and stuffed the remainder of my pita chips into my cargo pants pocket. I took hold of the glass bottle and got up as soundlessly as possible and gave the cashier who was now blushing a polite smile and made my way for the door.

Unexpectedly, though, I ran right into someone I never expected to see in a million years: none other than Sebastian’s dad, Gerard. Without even realizing it, I smiled at a familiar face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I’m writing this AN off as a Thank You note.
Thank you to every single individual who has read even one of these chapters, who has taken the time to subscribe and to comment. A great big thanks to those of you who have stuck with me even though I absolutely suck at updating now a days. You’re what make this story worthwhile. You drive the character plot out of my brain and you fuel my fingers to type the story out. I don’t think I can thank you enough for pushing me to take the time to write, which is a passion of mine I rarely get to enjoy these days. So, quite simply, thank you so much.


To my Mibbians: UghItsMIA, frankiero . , bam_dilligaf, vinylrevival, poisonedpills, DieAgainToday, baysway, mcr_lover, XCyanide_SuicideX, angy_kaulits, xxmidnightxxrainxx, MCR_FOR_LIFE, XMorteXdeXRireX, Just.a.Kid, demongirl1243, CyanideSweet-Tooth, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND SUPPORT <3

Frank_Iero Thank you for your endless story promotion and friendship ☺

To my readers on deviantART, I want to include links to each and every one of your usernames, but I don’t know how. I’m going to list you all, though, because I’m so grateful for you as well! SourPatchSuicide, Revenge-Leader1, iPandar, MCRomantical, meekoshadows, mikky18, AlphaDog14, JolieCanolie, emofreaky, MCR-LOVER-63, eboniway, SaraLovesMyChem, Bibzonfire, animegirl1920, bella-swan-must-die, and anyone else who has favorited/commented that I missed!

Last, but certainly not least, thank you KatyChemical! I wanted to let everyone know that she has a great story concept going for all of you Ger-Z fans and I hope you guys take the time to read it! Her story is called You can run away with me any time you want. so read it and give her some feedback!

Hope you enjoyed this short little chapter. I plan on continuing soon, and I hope to follow through, I promise!