Status: Complete

Sister of Syn

This Trip Isn't Exactly What I Imagined

The tension level on the bus had reached extreme levels. Shads wasn't talking to me, which didn't bother me. I was still giving Zacky the silent treatment, but he either didn't notice or didn't care and that made me angrier.

Meanwhile, Jimmy was getting twitchy and irritable because Kristy was playing hard to get. Johnny was following Mickie around like a lost puppy. Brian was constantly glaring at Shads and ignoring Jeanie. And Matt seemed upset with me, though I had no clue what I'd done.

A week after my encounter with Shads, the guys finally had some days off. The next show was to be in Philadelphia, so we decided to spend the break there.

It was a relief to stay in a hotel. If we'd all had to endure one more day on that cramped bus, someone would've snapped. As it was, there was almost a fight when we were picking who to share a room with. It was easy for me--Kristy, Mickie, or Jeanie. They were the only ones I could stand to be around.

Eventually, everyone reached an agreement. Zacky and Brian were in one room; Matt and Johnny were paired up; Shads and Jimmy were to share a room; and all the girls would be in one room.

Everyone seemed eager to get to the sanctity of a room. Jeanie, Mickie, Kristy, and I practically ran to the room we were sharing.

"It's not usually like this." Jeanie sighed, collapsing on one of the beds. "The guys always have so much fun on the road. I don't know what the hell is going on."

"Bri is too busy being a bodyguard to have a good time," I said. "Jimmy, Johnny, and Shads are horny. The Baker brothers..." I paused. "Are just weird," I concluded.

There was a knock on the door. Mickie opened it to find Johnny and Zacky in the hallway.

"We're going in search of food," Johnny announced. "Do you girls want to come?"

Jeanie and I shook our heads. Mickie glanced at Kristy, who nodded.

"Want us to bring you something?" Kristy asked, putting on an Avenged Sevenfold hoodie.

"Yeah," Jeanie replied while I nodded.

Kristy and Mickie waved and left with Johnny and Zacky.

"So...your brother is really pissed at Shads," Jeanie commented after several seconds of silence.

"I know," I said, digging through my bag for a hairbrush.

Jeanie studied me for a moment. "Should he be?"

I looked at her. "Shads is interested, but I'm not. He's like a brother to me."

"He's not happy about that," Jeanie stated.

I shrugged. "No one likes being rejected."

"I'll let Bri know it's nothing," she said. "You know, I still think you should give Matt a chance."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't start that again." Before she could say anything else, I grabbed my pajamas. "I'm taking a shower." I escaped into the bathroom.

*****

Our last night in Philly was the night of the show. I had refused to perform "A Little Piece of Heaven" since the show in Dallas, so I didn't go to rehearsal or the concert. When the others went inside for the show, I had to stay on the bus. The guys planned to leave Philly as soon as the show ended, so we'd checked out of the hotel that morning.

I used the time to call my other brother, Brent. I'd always been closer to Brian. I'd driven him insane when we were kids, following him and his friends around. But right now, I was sick of Brian and his friends. I paced up and down the bus, talking to Brent and missing him. I didn't tell him about any of the drama going on. If Dad found out, I'd be forced to go home and never be allowed out on the road with Brian again. I was pissed, but I didn't want that.

After almost three hours, Brent had to go. I closed Brian's cell, set it on the table, and went to bed. Johnny had given me his bunk for the night. I snuggled under the blankets and closed my eyes...

I gradually became aware of noise. I wrenched my eyes open, feeling like I'd only been asleep for about five minutes. Loud music was coming from the front of the bus, along with shouts and laughter. I threw off the blankets and got up. I stalked to the front of the bus, ready to bitch everyone out.

I stopped short upon seeing that the guys had company. David Draiman and Dan Donegan of Disturbed were sitting on the couch.

"Damn!" David said, noticing me first. "Vengeance, is that one yours?"

Everyone looked at me. I thought it was an odd question until I looked around. Zacky was the only one besides David and Dan that didn't have a girl on his lap. Even Matt was holding a girl with black and pink hair.

"No," Zacky responded, his green eyes moving slowly down my body.

I hugged myself, wishing I'd worn more than a halter-top and shorts to sleep in.

"That," Brian chimed in, "is my baby sister, Melia."

Dan gaped at me. "Wow. I see who got the looks in the family."

I blushed. Brian flipped Dan off.

"Why don't you join us?" David suggested.

"Yeah, Melia," Shads said, hugging the redhead on his lap closer. "Join us."

"No, thanks," I replied, fighting not to look at Zacky, who was still staring at me. "I just wondered what all the commotion was. I'm going back to bed. 'Night."

"Night," everyone but Shads and Zacky echoed.

I returned to Johnny's bunk. Seconds later, Matt was there. "Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

"I'm fine," I assured him.

There was a silence. Then--"Come back," Matt urged. "We all want you there."

"No," I refused.

"If this is about Shads, he's an asshole," Matt remarked. "Just ignore him."

I smiled, though Matt couldn't see it in the dark. "Don't worry. I do. But I'm tired. I don't think I'd be much fun at the moment."

"Okay." He kissed me on the forehead. "Sweet dreams." He left.

It wasn't long before I drifted off to sleep again.