Status: Comments = Updates :)

A Little Piece of Heaven

Ch. 8 - Road Trip Part Two

~~~~ Dec. 23rd, 2009 ~~~~

~~~~ 2pm ~~~~

We were on the road heading home. Brian was driving for right now with Kaydence in the front passenger seat. I was sitting in the middle seat with my son.

It wasn’t long before I fell asleep against the window, my hand laying across my son in his car seat.

I could hear Kaydence and Brian talking softly in my dreams.

~~~~ 4pm ~~~~

~~~~ Kaydence’s POV ~~~~

I was reading a book when I heard Jimmy’s son start to whimper a little bit in the back seat. I turned around in my seat to see Jimmy fast asleep, his head against the window and his hand laying on his son.

“Awwww”

“What?”

“Jimmy looks so cute there”

Brian looked into the rearview mirror and smiled. He turned his attention back to the road and continued driving. I bookmarked my place in the book and rummaged through my bag for my camera. I pulled it out and turned around. I steadied my camera and snapped one of the first photos of Jimmy and his son.

Jimmy’s son started to whimper even louder.

“Uh oh…”

“What?”

“I think lil Rev is starting to wake up. He’s starting to…”

Suddenly Jimmy’s son started screaming.

Jimmy jerked awake and immediately leaned over his son.

“Oh God oh God oh God!”

“Jimmy calm down”

“WHAT DO I DO!?”

“Brian pull over”

“What why?”

“Just do it!”

Brian pulled over and once the car was off I unbuckled my seat belt and climbed back on the other side of lil Rev.

“Take him out Jimmy”

“Huh?”

“Jimmy pick up your son”

~~~~ Jimmy’s POV ~~~~

OH MY GOD MY SON’S SCREAMING!!!!

WHAT DO I FUCKING DO?!?!

“Jimmy pick your son up!”

“O…okay”

I shakily unbuckled my son and picked him up uneasily. He was just screaming his lungs out.

“What now Kaydence!?”

“Is he wet?”

“How…how do I tell that?”

“Touch his butt”

“What!?”

“Jimmy!”

I reached out and touched my son’s butt.

“…um…”

“Jimmy…”

“It’s….wet”

“So he needs to be changed. Come on”

Kaydence opened up the door near her and jumped out. She opened my son’s diaper bag and pulled out a blanket and placed it on the seat.

“Hand him over”

I handed my son over and Kaydence took him, laying him on the seat. She then proceeded to change his diaper.

She picked him up and started to bounce him a little bit. My son soon stopped to cry and I handed him back to me.

“Simple as that. It’s okay Jimmy you’ll know how to react in time. It just takes practice”

I started rocking my son a little and he continued to calm down.

“How do you know all of that?”

Kaydence and I looked up at Brian.

“What?”

Brian repeated himself, “How do you know all of that?”

“I baby sat for family friends a lot.”

“Oh”

“It’s also a little bit of…maternal instinct”

The look on Brian’s face was of pure horror.

“Brian calm down…”

“I am calm”

Brian turned around and gripped the steering wheel his knuckles turning white. I just looked over at Kaydence who was cleaning up everything. I swear I heard her sniffle.

Well I’ll be damned…

She really wants kids…

~~~~ 7pm ~~~~

It was later on down the road and my son was just being down right fussy. He wouldn’t stop crying and sniffling. Even after a bottle he wouldn’t stay quiet.

“I think we just need to stop for the night. Lil Rev is obviously getting tired and cranky. And tired of being in his car seat. Why don’t’ we stop and all get a good night sleep.”

“Okay”

Brian pulled into the nearest hotel and we all got out grabbing the necessary bags.

Brian and I put on our hats and sunglasses. I picked up my son in his car seat and we all headed into the hotel.

Kaydence checked us in with her credit card so as to not cause suspicion. Once we had our room with two king size beds we headed up to our room.

I set my son down on the bed farthest from the door and took him out and held him walking around.

“I’m really hungry man”

I looked over at Brian.

“So go get some food then”

“Jimmy stop being so cranky”

“My son’s cranky. Don’t test me right now”

Kaydence walked over and grabbed Brian’s arm.

“Come on let’s go get some food. We’ll grab you something okay?”

“Sounds good”

Kaydence dragged Brian out of the hotel room.

“Okay it’s just me and you lil guy”

My son calmed down for a little bit but soon started screaming full force.

I changed his diaper, fed him, burped him, and even changed his clothes multiple times. I walked around rocking him, bouncing him, everything!

But NOTHING was working.

“Come on little guy calm down. Don’t do this right now”

After almost an hour of him screaming and whining, crying and fussing there was a knock at the door.

I held him in my arms and opened the door. I was hoping for Brian and Kaydence but it wasn’t them.

“Um..excuse me sir. I’m the hotel night manager and we’ve been receiving a lot of complaints about noise coming from your room. Can you please control your child?”

That was it! I was sleep deprived, my son was fussy and I couldn’t do anything about it! My son wasn’t calming down and nothing was working. I couldn’t get my son to relax. I was failing so far as a dad.

And I just lost it.

“HEY I JUST BECAME A DAD! HE’S NOT EVEN A MONTH OLD! HE’S BEEN CRYING ALL DAY LONG AND I’M SLEEP DEPREIVED! I’M FAILING AS A FATHER AND I DON’T NEED SOME BIG SHOT TELLING ME THAT I NEED TO CONTROL MY LITTLE BOY! I NEED TO CALM DOWN!? NO SIR I WILL NOT CALM DOWN!!!”

The manager looked completely taken aback. He took a bunch of steps back from me. His eyes wide in shock and a little bit of horror.

I looked around to see everyone standing outside of their hotel rooms staring at me.

It was then that I noticed that my son was quiet. He was completely silent and just staring up at me with wide eyes.

Oh God did I just scare my son?

“I’m….I’m sorry…”

“Just…try to keep your son quiet…”

“Okay…sorry…”

The manager just about high tailed it away from me and I slowly walked back into my room. I shut the door and looked back down at my son.

He was just staring at me with wide little eyes. His eyes were such an electric light blue.

“My eyes…”

I walked over and sat done on my bed.

I looked back down at my son and he started to yawn.

“Are you gonna be calm now?”

He waved a little fist at me and closed his little eyes.

I laid him down on the bed and quickly started organizing pillows around him. He stayed asleep, while I just lay down next to him on the bed.

Before I knew it I was fast asleep too.

~~~~ Kaydence’s POV ~~~~

We arrived back at the hotel room. Brian put the key in the door and we walked in to find Jimmy asleep on the bed next to his son, who was surrounded by pillows.

I set the food down on the table and pulled out my camera and took a photo of Jimmy asleep on the bed his hand just slightly touching his son’s arm.

“What’s with all the photos?”

“I’m preserving memories”

“Okay”

“Smile”

“Kaydence”

I snapped the photo of Brian, smiled, and put my camera away. Brian just rolled his eyes at me and sat down on our bed and started to eat. I sat down next to him and we ate in peace before falling asleep.

~~~~ 8 am ~~~~

~~~~ Jimmy’s POV ~~~~

I woke up a couple times during the night to take care of my son. But at 8am I woke up Kaydence and Brian so that we could hit the road. I was tired of being in the car and I’m sure my son was too. He was still cranky when I put him in his car seat but he soon fell asleep. Kaydence was half awake so she sat down next to my son and was soon fast asleep with her head on the window.

Since I was the most awake I was the one driving. Brian sat in the passenger seat next to me and was in and out of sleep until 10 am when he was awake enough. We made a quick pit stop for coffee then hit the road again.

“Ugh I can’t wait to be in my own comfy bed.”

“Kaydence gonna stay with you tonight?”

“I don’t know why?”

“Because you two just about live with each other”

“She’ll prolly want to sleep in her own bed tonight. She’s like me. She likes going to her home after a long trip”

“Ah okay”

“Yeah…ugh now my breath is horrible. Do you have any gum man?”

“No but I know Kaydence does.”

“Sweet”

Brian turned around in his seat and started to rummage in Kaydence’s bag. I was vaguely aware of his body becoming very stiff suddenly.

“Bri you okay?”

“I…”

Brian sat back in his seat and stared straight ahead.

“Brian?”

“She…is Kaydence really asleep?”

“Yeah she seems to be why?”

“…There’s a magazine in her purse…”

Oh shit! The bridal magazine is in her purse! Fuck Jimmy!

“What kind of magazine?”

“A…a…b…br…bridal magazine…”

“What?”

“Yeah…she has a bridal magazine in her purse. She wants to get married.”

“Brian…don’t jump to conclusions”

“Why shouldn’t I?”

“She’s a girl…they like just looking at bridal magazines.”

“Kaydence doesn’t. She goes for the music magazines mainly.”

“Well if she went for a bridal magazine in public with you, you’d freak out like you are now wouldn’t you?”

Brian just turned and glared at me.

“What are you not telling me Jimmy?”

“Well…I…Kaydence gave me gum on the drive down to Dallas. She was driving so she said I could go in there and get it. I saw the magazine and asked her about it.”

“You knew!?”

“Brain don’t yell they’re both asleep”

“Sorry man but…why didn’t you tell me?”

“You were already freaking out about holding my son and…she asked me not to tell you”

“Why?”

“Because she knew you’d freak out about it.”

“Well duh since she wants to get married”

“She doesn’t want to get married Brian”

“How would you know?”

“She told me that she wouldn’t MIND getting married but she wasn’t going to push you Brian. She loves you.”

“Ugh. What am I going to do Jimmy?”

“I can’t tell you that Brian”

“Guys stop talking I want to sleep,” Kaydence mumbled from behind us.

Brian turned around and looked at her. Her eyes were still closed and she was fast asleep still.

“Sorry Kay”

“Mmmmmm sleep”

Brian chuckled a little and fiddled with the radio.

After a while Brian took over the driving and Kaydence switched to sit in the front and I sat next to my son. He started to get cranky later in the afternoon so I held him for a little while until he calmed down and fell back asleep. I couldn’t wait until I had him home and he could sleep in his crib. I know that would probably cheer him up.

We made surprisingly good time. But that’s only because once we reached a bunch of desert land we let Kaydence drive and since no one was on the road she could drive as fast as she wanted. When we started to get near Huntington Beach I took over driving again for the safety of us all. Kaydence was starting to go in and out of sleep so I dropped her off on the way to my house.

She gave my son a kiss on the forhead and grabbed her bags. Brian walked her to the door of her apartment and kissed her good night. He came back out once she was safe inside.

When we got to Brian’s house he got out and grabbed his bags.

“See you tomorrow Jimbo. Will you be okay tonight?”

I looked back at my son.

“I’ll survive. If not I’ll be calling you”

“Okay man”

“Brian…”

“Yeah?”

“Kaydence meant what she said. I’ve been around her long enough too to know when she’s lying. She won’t push you into doing anything you don’t want to do.”

“Jimmy…”

“No Brian hear me out. Sure she may want to get married and have kids. But she doesn’t want to lose you. She knows how you are and doesn’t want to push you, because you’ll only pull away. I know you Brian, you’re my best friend. If someone pushes you into something you bolt. You two are practicly married as it is. You’ve been with her like what two years? You both still have your own places and yet you leave half your crap at her place and she has a set of stuff at yours. You two are together so much and if you aren’t at her place, she’s at yours with you. You act like an old married couple and yet you act like a newly married couple. You two are perfect for each other and everyone’s surprised you two aren’t at least living together. Just think about it all man.”

“What if it all changes if we get married. What if we change?”

“Dude didn’t you hear me? You two just about live with each other. And if you’re so worried about being together 24/7 then ask her to move in with you. If that doesn’t work out then you have your answer. But if it does…well…just consider it all. But don’t ditch the girl just because you’re scared of commiting to one girl for the rest of your life. And let me ask you this…how much do you love her?”

“I’d give up my life to save her”

“Do you want to marry her?”

“Well…yes…no…maybe…eventually…I don’t know Jimmy”

“well…just take a long think over it all”

“Long think?”

“It’s been a long month leave me alone”

“Okay Jimmy. Call me when you get home so I know you made it safe. If you need anything call me and if we can’t figure it out we’ll give Kay a call. She’s good with kids”

“She’ll make a great mom one day”

“Jimmy don’t go there…”

Brian was about to shut the door to my car.

“Brian”

“Jimmy my bed is calling me what?”

“You’re gonna make a great dad one day too”

“Jimmy…”

“Just saying night Bri”

“Night Jimbo. Take good care of little Rev.”

I laughed at my son’s nickname and drove away once Brian was inside his house. I made it home around midnight. I swung my bag over my shoulder and grabbed my son’s main bag and his diaper bag before taking his car seat out. I walked up to the door of my house and unlocked it stepping inside. I shut and locked the door. I looked down to see my son staring up at me.

“Welcome home son”
♠ ♠ ♠
update! i'm tired and yeah heading to bed now. love to my 36 subscribers. keep it up. tell yoru friends comment. all that jazz.