Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Matt’s POV - Chapter 13

I got home that night way before dad did, which was pretty strange seeing as I had to walk back. He told me he would drive me home and for once I took him up on that offer, but he ended up being dragged into some meeting about one thing or another. So yeah, I had little options and I didn't want to stay at school, so I walked. Simple.

When I walked into the house I could tell that someone had been baking. I could smell fresh cakes and without even noticed I started drooling. I'm just hoping that they’ll let me have some this time.

Last time Caron made cakes, her and dad ate them all before I got home. Mind you, I was away for a whole weekend and I bet they were really nice, so I can’t really blame them for not saving me any.

“Hey Caro-Mum,” I said quickly.

I wanted to call her mum, but the odd Caron does slip out sometimes. “Sorry,” I sighed.

“Don’t apologize,” she smiled as she turned around to look at me. She’d just taken the cupcakes out of the oven and was warning me to let them cool down before I started attacking them. And yes, attacking was the exact word she used. What can I say? I'm violent. “Caitlin’s here tonight,” she beamed.

Caitlin’s my step sister, her daughter, obviously. Like I said a while ago, I used to be horrible to her, but I’ve grown up now.

Whenever Caitlin’s here Caron is always extra happy and puts in that extra effort for her. She isn't allowed around here very often, so when she does come, we always make sure she has a good time.

“Oh, do you know where your dad is?” she asked me. “He didn't answer when I called before.”

“Meeting,” I mumbled, remembering why he couldn’t drive me back tonight. “So where’s Cait then?”

“In her room getting cleaned up; she didn't have an apron on and it got a bit messy.”

I nodded, understanding that when those two bake together, they don’t pay a hundred percent attention to what they’re doing. That basically means there’s always a mess when they’re done.

“Should I go up and say hi?”

“Just give her a bit, she might still be getting changed,” Caron told me.

I fail at being social when it comes to Caitlin. I never know what to say to her. It’s weird but I guess it’s because I'm not used to being around younger people. I know I'm around year sevens at school but I don’t have to talk to them... Even though I do sometimes.

I guess it’s just different when I know that how I act probably effects her coming here in some way. I can’t help feeling guilty for how I was a few years ago. Caron had a proper go at me once, because Caitlin told her she was scared of me, and that’s why she wasn't visiting.

Words can’t describe how bad that made me feel, so I always try to be a good big brother now, I just don’t know how to be that most of the time.

“Alright then. Oh and...mum, I was just wondering if I could stop out tonight. Just over at Nate’s.”

“Erm... Maybe you should ask your dad.”

I gave her a look but then nodded at her. Usually just getting permission from her was enough and she’s a lot easier to get around to dad so I tend to ask for things from Caron rather than him. She doesn’t usually just tell me to go and ask dad instead. Strange.

“He’ll probably say yes,” I said smugly before heading up the stairs to my room.

I’ve already told Nate I'm going, and convinced Riley to go too, so there’s no way I can just stay home and not go. I'm going even if dad says no, I’ve decided.

Just as I turned the corner at the top of the stairs I walked into what I could only assume was a little person. I cursed quietly before looking down and confirming my thoughts.

I was about to hiss ‘watch it’ like I’d do if that happened in a school environment, but I quickly stopped myself. Be nice Matt!

“Sorry Caitlin,” I said softly. “I didn't hurt you did I? I somehow managed to make that sound slightly threatening; luckily, she didn't seem to pick up on that though.

“No,” she laughed like it was nothing. She’s changed since I last saw her. If I walked into her last time she would’ve put on some over-the-top cry to get me in trouble. “I saw you today Matt,” she smiled. “You were walking with Riley and I told Cindy and Maria that you were my brother and they said you look well cool.” I smiled at her comment. Her friends think I'm cool; interesting. “Don't worry though, I made sure they knew you weren’t,” she laughed innocently before sticking her tongue out at me.

“I am so cool,” I said in a childish voice. “And you know it,” I teased as I started tickling her sides, making sure to do it lighter than I did with Riley earlier as it clearly hurt him.

“You... You are- Are not!”She laughed between her breathes as I tickled her.

She’s an alright kid really. I just suck at being a brother really.

When I finally put her down she kicked me, but not too hard, on my shin. I over exaggerated the pain to make her think she’d actually managed to hurt me.

“You liking high school then?” I asked her.

“Yeah!” she beamed. “Can...can I show you my friends?” she asked me in a quiet voice.

“Of course,” I smiled. “I’ll come and find you tomorrow or something.”

“Okay-Dokay.”

***

Caitlin went back downstairs to her mum and then I went to my room to get dressed up for tonight. I wanted to look good even if it’s just going to be a few mates there tonight. Part of me wanted to make an impression on Riley. I'm not too sure why though to be honest. It’s not like he isn't used to seeing me or that he doesn’t have an impression of me already. I just want him to notice me more.

In the end, I was actually pretty impressed when the outfit I put together. I was mainly wearing the stuff that Caron bought for me a while ago that I told her I wouldn't be seen dead in. It just looked too fancy and well expensive I guess. But tonight, I'm wearing it. It’s different and I know people are going to pick up on that.

I started to try and do something with my hair but I wound up practically jumping out of my skin when dad suddenly barged into my room. Seriously, what is he doing?

“What?” I snapped.

“I need a word,” he hissed before looking up and down the outfit I was wearing. He pulled a confused face.

“I'm going out,” I mumbled, starting to feel self conscious.

He shook his head at me and frowned.

“A member of staff told me something today.”

I let out a sigh and sat down on my bed, knowing that dad was going to drag this out a lot.

“They told me something that really shocked me Matt.” I rolled my eyes. Here we go again. “Do you know who I'm talking about?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

To be honest there’s a few people he could be talking about. I remained silent.

“It was Chuck, Matt. And I’ve heard that you’ve not only threatened him, but you’ve laid your hands on him.”

“Oh come on,” I mumbled, standing up again. “He was practically feeling Riley up and you know all about his bloody record. It’s disgusting.”

“Yes, but what if he puts a complaint in Matt? What’s going to happen then? I mean it’s not as if you’re denying anything here.”

“He’s not going to complain because if it goes anywhere it’ll be my side that people take. He’s not stupid and he knows he shouldn’t even be working at this school. If anyone from the board or ofsted or whatever hear about him then he’ll be really deep in it and so will the school. He’s not stupid enough to let something like that happen.”

“I know Matt, but... Look I can’t keep covering for you.”

“Well don’t dad,” I sighed. “I'm going to straighten up anyway. Riley doesn’t like seeing me like that,” I mumbled.”

Dad nodded lightly at me and took a deep breath.

“He’s always been a good influence on you,” he sighed. “Where did you guys get to at lunch anyway? I called you all in but you two never came.”

I blushed a little when I remembered what could’ve happened then.

“We didn't hear you,” I whispered. “And, R-Ry wanted to run more because he hasn’t done anything since the move.”

“I don’t mind helping him out with the running if he wants it.”

I frowned a little. What does he mean by helping? He doesn’t help me with running. He just makes me go out and do it in the early hours of the morning.

“He doesn’t need help,” I hissed at him.

“Maybe not with his training, but a little financial help could be good for him. Those trainers he had today were falling apart. He’d do a lot better with new ones and my guess is he can’t afford it at the moment.”

“He’s not some charity,” I hissed, feeling more annoyed than I should. Dad’s only trying to help.

“Fair enough...” Dad said, trailing off. “Caron told me you wanted to go out tonight.”

“Round Nate’s with the guys.”

“What time you getting back?” he asked me.

“I was going to stop over,” I told him.

He nodded at me.

“Go on then,” he sighed, but I could tell he didn't really want to let me go.

Part of me wanted to make sure that he was sure about it, but I knew he wasn't so I decided not to ask in case it made him change his mind.

“I’ll go pick Riley up now then,” I mumbled, pushing past him and walking out my room.

Dad hissed something under his breath as I walked out but I didn't catch what it was and I couldn’t really be bothered asking him.

“See ya!”I shouted before shutting the door behind me.

Just as I was about to leave the front door flung open again and I saw dad standing there.

“You’re not taking my car again are you?” he asked me in a harsh voice.

I tend to take his car if it’s here seeing as I know where the keys are. I know I'm too young to drive but I can do it and as long as I'm not pulled over it doesn’t even matter.

“I'm driving,” he hissed when he saw the look on my face which pretty much told him ‘why else would I have your car keys?’

“Dad,” I moaned.

“In fact, I'm going to take the girls out tonight, so we’ll pick Riley up and drop you off at Nate’s together, okay?” he asked me.

It wasn't okay, but I nodded anyway.

Shortly after dad sat down in the front and made me go into the back, Caron and Caitlin walked out of the house. They were both kind of dressed up, if you know what I mean, so I could tell that this actually wasn't some last minute thing that dad came up with. Maybe he wanted me to be there too...

Caron went into the front and Caitlin sat beside me in the back, sitting in the middle seat. Looks like Riley’s going to have to sit next to her as well now.

Well, at least I'm not going to be embarrassed now... I have my family dropping me off at the party. Yes! I bet no one else there will be as lucky as me...

The three of them all frowned when we were on Riley’s street. They can be so judgmental. Sure it looks a mess on the outside...and the inside to be honest...but... Okay, I lost my point but still.

“I’ll go get him,” I sighed awkwardly before jogging down the path to his house. God I hope his mum doesn’t answer.

I knocked a few times and ended up waiting for a couple of minutes before he actually came to the door. He seemed...different. I don’t know but he might’ve been paler.

“Ready to go?” I asked him.

He nodded at me but didn't say anything.

He went to walk out of the house but I stopped him.

“Is something up?”

“No...Well, kinda...Maybe,” he stuttered looking down at the floor. I lifted his head up and encouraged him to go on, knowing that it would be hard for us to talk about this in the car or at the party. “M-mum sorta collapsed and...Yeah,” he whispered. “That’s it.”

I looked at him like he was crazy. His mum’s collapsed and he’s coming out with me.

“Is she okay?” I asked quickly.

He nodded at me.

“This guy...” he started but then stopped.

“This guy, what Ry?” I asked him, wanting to know the whole story seeing as he was actually willing to talk to me right now.

“He like brought her home and... yeah, he brought her back.” I knew there was more but I didn't want to pressure him too much. I gave him a smile. “He gave me some money,” he frowned, “then he just left.”

“I know you don’t like taking stuff from people, but maybe he was just trying to help.”

“I don’t want his help,” he hissed as he walked out and slammed the door.

“Well...Maybe your mum bought him a drink or something and he was paying her back.” He turned around and gave me a ‘yeah sure’ look before carrying on walking towards the car.

He slowed down a little when he realized it wasn't just him and me.

“Sorry,” I whispered, opening the door for him so he could get in and sit besides Caitlin.

When I got in at the other side I carried on speaking to him, but trying to put it in a bit of a code.

“You don’t need to come if she needs you you know,” I told him, ignoring the questioning looks from everyone else.

“I said I’d go so I will,” he said with a weak smile that looked kind of forced.

Well, I did give him an option to get out of all this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've done a longer chapter than usual because i didn't really know where to stop this time haha

Thanks to
xXCan'tWakeUpXx
Blackcat336
For commenting! :D
I love reading all your comments guys haha