Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Riley’s POV - Chapter 16

Matt just walked out of Nate’s living room. He didn't look too happy if I'm honest with you, but for some reason I chose not to go after him. Everyone in this room thinks that I'm just his little tag along, but this time I'm not going to be that. I'm going to hold my ground and just sit here with Ashley. Hopefully we’ll manage to avoid the attention of everyone else. Most of them seem occupied anyway.

“Having fun?” Ashley asked me, sounding pretty fed up with everything.

“Not particularly,” I told her.

“Same,” she sighed, taking a sip of her water.

I used to enjoy parties but when you’re not with people you’re comfortable around it’s hard to have fun, especially when you change from who you used to be. I want to like this sort of thing, but I don’t. Some parts of this disgust me.

“Torrie’s having fun,” she smirked shamefully as she looked over at her sister who was all over Nate at the moment.

I remember Matt telling me that she wasn't just some slut. After this, I don’t really know what to believe. The evidence says otherwise, but she has been drinking; if you can use that as an excuse.

“Looks like it,” I replied awkwardly. “Nate seems to be having more fun though.”

“God yeah,” she laughed.

“They like each other then?” I asked. It was obvious that they did, but seeing as conversation is better than sitting here watching all of them in silence, I asked anyway.

“Well, Nate likes her, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't want to get serious with him,” Ashley told me.

I don’t care about gossip and all that, but I had to admit I found that interesting. Nate will be crushed if things don’t work out for them. Seeing Nate down would probably make me feel better.

“She’s not that into him then?” I asked her, trying to hide how happy that made me.

Way Nate! Your love life’s a mess!

I can be horrible from time to time. Can’t help it.

“She only said yes when he asked her out because she didn't want to upset him,” Ashley explained to me. “That’s what she told me and I probably wasn't meant to bring this up...” she looked down at the floor and bit her lip. “Keep it quiet, yeah?”

“No problem,” I smiled.

When I turned around to look back over at them, I saw Torrie sat alone on the floor. It didn't take me long to find where Nate was. It took seconds at tops, seeing as he grabbed my arm and turned my head back round to face him. He’d pushed Ashley out the way and was sitting in her place on the chair. She was just standing there, looking mad but not like she was going to react.

How the hell did he get there without me noticing?

“’Right little man?” he asked me sharply, raising an eyebrow. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to speak to him. “Matt wants to play a game of truth or dare, and you’re going to join in for him, got it?”

I glared at him and gave a confused look. Why would Matt want to play truth or dare? Why would I want to join in?

“Why truth or dare?” Ashley asked nervously from behind him.

“Why the hell not?” he asked smugly. “Now go sit with everyone else and play along.”

I don’t take orders from him. I don’t care if he’s bigger and stronger because I know he’s not going to do anything while Matt’s here. Matt wouldn't let him do that to me. Only problem is that right at this second, Matt isn’t here, he left the room before, remember?

Ashley went over and sat on the floor next to her sister, but I stayed put. Nate was glaring at me, trying to seem threatening, which he of course was, but I've seen worse. I've seen and experienced a lot worse than some stupid high school bully.

“Listen,” he hissed, leaning in towards me. “Matt’s not happy with you right now. If you don’t join in, that’ll just annoy him even more, and you don’t want to upset Matt.”

He sounded so patronizing.

“I don’t know what you're talking about,” I whispered.

Nate smiled and gave me a knowing look as if to say, are you sure about that?

I know I haven’t done anything to upset him...But I didn't go after him earlier. What if Nate’s right? I know its unlikely seeing as Matt wouldn't randomly hate me over something like that, but if he’s been drinking... Maybe he overreacted. I need Matt tonight so if there’s any chance of him being annoyed with me, I should do whatever I can to resolve that.

“I’ll play then,” I muttered.

“Surprise surprise,” Nate laughed as he went over to some of his mates and told them something that lead to them all erupting in laughter.

Was it about me? Most bloody likely.

I didn't know where to sit. Everyone else was getting into a circle as Nate jumped up again and headed towards the kitchen to get Matt, I'm guessing. I wanted to go over with Ashley but there was no space there and it wouldn't be smart for me to go near Torrie.

“Hey Riley!” I heard Brad shout. He’s one of Matt’s friends. I'm pretty sure he doesn’t like me either though. “Plonk yourself over here mate.”

The guy sounded a little drunk and I was certain that Nate would be sitting over there when he comes back in, but what other choice did I have? And I'm a lot more sober than him, I’ve only had half a can all night, so that should put me at an advantage.

“Hey,” I said quietly to him and the rest of the group that were sat over there.

They all smiled at me. Fake smiles. Every last one of them.

When Nate came back into the room he turned the music right down, saying he wanted some sort of eerie atmosphere. Matt came in shortly after and I could tell he was looking around for me someone. He didn't end up sitting at this side though. Nate practically forced him down to the ground over where Torrie and Ashley were.

“WHAT’S GOING ON?” Jacey shouted in her screechy voice.

“Truth or freaking dare whore,” Brad answered, giving a laugh and playfully punching my arm. “She’s fit though, right?” he whispered to me.

Yeah... Sure...

“You serious?” Torrie asked Nate with a frown on her face.

I'm guessing she’s not a big fan of truth or dare then.

I noticed Matt was giving them both a really confused look, but Nate was doing his best to ignore that. I wonder what’s going on there...

“You like Matt?” Brad suddenly asked me in a hushed tone.

His voice genuinely made me jump. I guess I was too busy watching Matt to realize he was still there.

“W-what?” I asked him.

“You’re watching him aren’t ya?” he laughed.

“No,” I frowned.

“No, you're not watching him, or no, you don’t like him?”

“No to both,” I hissed at him.

Idiot.

“OY RILEY!” Nate shouted me. Even his voice annoys me now. It’s horrible. “How about you go first? Truth or dare?”

I'm not going first. I know that guy has it in for me so why would I go first? That’ll just make it easier for him to do whatever he’s planning. If I say dare, he’ll make me do something I wouldn't even dream of doing, but if I say truth, he’ll ask something really personal. I could always lie...

“Erm...” I whispered shyly.

“I’m going first,” Matt interrupted.

I closed my eyes tightly and tried to hide the smile that wanted to be on my face after that.

Thank you.

“No, Ry is,” Nate snapped at him. “He’s the new guy, he’s going first.”

“Nahh man,” Matt smirked. “I'm ready for this. Someone give me dare!”

“Fine,” Nate huffed. “Down two pints,” he snarled.

So far tonight I’ve noticed that Matt’s been avoiding alcohol for the most part. If he does this then all of that’s going to be wasted... Matt wouldn't say no to a dare though. I know he wouldn't.

“Bring it,” Matt smirked as Nate went to get him the drinks.

He filled two pint glasses full of beer. I just stared at them. I don’t want Matt to do it. I’ve been put off alcohol for life after how I’ve seen my mum. Any more than a few sips are too much for me. I just can’t handle it.

I wanted to get out of there. I don’t want to see Matt drinking. I know how pathetic this sounds, but my mum collapsed from how much she’d had today. I don’t want to watch him doing this for some stupid game.

“I'm going toilet,” I whispered, not really bothered by whether or not anyone heard me.

I stood up and walked out of the room. I didn't know where the bathroom was, but that didn't matter seeing as it was just an excuse to get out of there.

Do you think mum’s woken up yet?

Thinking about it made me worry about her safety. She’s alone in that house in a rough neighborhood and I know it wouldn't be hard for someone to break in. She’s brought so many men back to that house... Anyone of them could go back there whenever they want to.

That idea was enough to make me pull my phone out of my pocket and dial in the house number. I rarely use the phone now. My dad gave it to me before the whole divorced happened so the only credit I have on it is what’s left over from back then. Mum wouldn't top it up. To be honest, I’ve never needed to ask her to.

“Mum,” I smiled when someone answered.

Just then I started to feel like I was being watched. I turned and saw Matt standing behind me. He looked... worried. My eyes were glued onto him.

“Helllooooo babsey,” she slurred down the line.

Hearing her like that again was painful. Do you know how hard it is to hide your hurt when your best friend’s standing right in front of you? It’s pretty damn hard!

“Just...making sure you’re okay,” I whispered.

I wanted to cry. She never used to be like this. Now look at her. Now listen to her! She needs help... We both do.

“Where you go Ry Bear?” she cooed at me.

“I’m...I’m with M-Matt. You gave me a night off.”

Although I was trying to keep my voice normal, I just couldn’t do it. Why am I getting so emotional over this? I should hate her for all she’s done to me! I shouldn’t care about her.

“Oh...y-yeah,” she hiccuped.

In the background I could hear a male voice telling her to hurry it up and get down on him. She doesn’t deserve to be treated like that! She’s not some worthless slut! She’s my mum! She’s my bloody mother!

“I got to go sweets,” she laughed a little and blew a little kiss. “I’ve’ a surprise for ya tomorrow though. Bye love!”

She hung up. Just like that, she was gone again.

You’re okay Riley... Everything’s okay. Deep breaths.

I carefully put my phone back into my pocket and locked eyes with Matt. He knows something’s wrong but he knows better than to ask about it.

“Mum called,” I told him, trying to hold back everything I was feeling right then.

“She’s alright now?” he asked softly. He looked so worried.

I slowly nodded at him. She’s conscious now...If that’s your definition of alright.

“Did you, um, do your dare?” I asked to try and change the subject.

“No,” he told me, looking more awkward than before as he ran a hand through his hair. “I...I thought you were...” He shrugged his shoulders at me and then smiled. “You’re alright though so it doesn’t matter.”

He backed out on his dare to make sure I was okay!

A smile spread across my lips and I nervously licked over them.

“Thanks Matt,” I said as I gave him a quick hug. I pulled away quicker than I wanted to, but I was worried about how he’d take it if I held onto him any longer. “Thanks for everything.”

“Hey, you know you don’t need to thank me,” he grinned. “I’ve got your back, Ry.”

I resisted the urge to thank him again and just smiled at him. Matt really is the best friend I could ask for...even when he’s being an idiot.

“I’m guessing you’ll have a forfeit now though,” I teased.

“Nothing ‘The Man’ can’t handle,” he laughed as he flexed his muscles at pulled a pose for me.

As I said...Even when he’s being an idiot.
♠ ♠ ♠
N'awww lol

Really sorry for the wait guys
For a while i didn't even realize there was a wait because i have been writing...just not this lol
BUT IT'S HERE NOW! :D WOOOO hehe

Thanks to
livvy;
Sell Ur Soul
cameron liddell;
xXCan'tWakeUpXx
For commenting! :D