Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Matt's POV - Chapter 5

Riley had only been at our school for one day, and already he’s become all I can think about. Sure I thought about him a lot before he came here, but I used to be able to think differently when I was at school. It’s like I have a home me and a school me that are completely different people, but now that Riley’s here, they’re clashing with each other.

He doesn’t like violence, unless it’s in a ring with a ref. At home, I’m not violent and he likes that. Here though, it’s hard for me to stay calm and control myself, especially now I know that one of my friends has tried beating him up already. I have an idea which one it was, but I’ve decided not to do anything until I'm certain. It’ll be probably be best to wait until Ry isn't around as well...

Right now I'm in the changing rooms. It’s only the first day back, but my dad’s already got everything sorted here so he’s started the clubs up again early. It’s cross country tonight. I’m not an amazing runner but because dad’s in charge I have to go. It isn't fair really. I could be at home now. I don’t know what I’d be doing, but I wouldn't be here, which is good enough for me.

Nate and I were the only regulars who were here tonight. We usually don’t have that many for cross country, but tonight’s total of five people is probably the worst turn out we’ve ever had. At least there are three new faces here, which makes all of this seem a little bit less pointless.

The room was silent as we got changed. The three people who were new to cross country didn't seem to know anyone else here. One of them was clearly in year seven; he was so small he simply couldn’t have been any older. His hair style isn't the sort you forget though. You see him once; you never forget him. I bet he gets a lot of heat for it though, being in year seven and all. You don’t have many punk kids in that year.

I recognized the tall one who was changing in the corner of the room. I’ve never really spoke to him, but I'm pretty sure he’s in my year. The third boy was a few years younger than me, but he was far from small. He looked like he spends a lot of his time in the gym, just like Nate and I do. Who knows, maybe we’ll get along with that one.

Seeing as those three didn't know each other and only one of them knew who we were, he probably doesn’t like us though, I didn't blame them for all being so quiet. Nate however is meant to be the loud one. I’m not quiet but usually he starts the conversations and starts shouting aimlessly. That tends to make changing in here seem fun. Today though, he’s not talking and nor am I.

I was the last one to get changed, probably because I got distracted with all the thinking I was doing. I suppose you could say I can’t multitask.

My dad walked out of his little office room just as I finished changing. He looked around the room, obviously expecting more people to be here. I'm hoping he doesn’t let this bother him too much, it’s only the first practice and he chose to have it on the first day back. Most people probably have no idea this is even on tonight.

“Five?” he thought aloud. Nothing pleases him. He hasn’t even noticed that we have three new faces here today. “Right,” he muttered. “Seeing as there’s only you lot, I think I’ll let you chose the plan of action for today,” he said.

We were all randomly scattered around the room still at this point, but I saw the youngest boy in here smiling. I suppose he thinks we’ll do something easy today. Knowing my dad, if he’s going to give us a chose, it won’t be a good one.

“So, what do you want to do?” he asked, looking around the room, waiting for someone to come up with a suggestion. No one did, unsurprisingly.

“A run by the river?” Nate mumbled, just loud enough for dad to hear him.

“Any other ideas?” dad asked, making sure that everyone had chance to voice their ideas. “No,” he smiled. “To the river it is then,” he said, walking past me and Nate and patting him on the shoulder.

Nate walked off behind my dad but I waited and let the other three leave before me. I then followed them out slowly. I wasn't in the mood for running. It wasn't that I didn't want to do it; I just really want to be somewhere else. I want to be with Ry. Is it sad that I can’t get him to of my head? I can’t explain it really.

After a while of trying to snap out of my thoughts, I got up and made my way outside to where everyone else was standing and waiting for me. I was surprised dad didn't let them all go off really; he knows I’m alright on my own.

I stood next to that year seven kid while my dad told us all the course. I already knew it, of course, so I had no reason to listen to him. In a way the kid reminded me of Riley. I have no idea why though. I suppose he’s just on my mind at the moment so a lot of things remind me of him.

“Okay, so we all know where we’re going?” dad asked.

We nodded at him, well all of us except the guy I was with. He looked so confused. I guess I would be too if I was him. If I was in his shoes and it was my first day at ‘big school’ I wouldn't want to go for a run in a place I’ve never been to before with older guys who I’ve never met.

“I’ll show you the way,” I whispered to him, not wanting my dad to know I was going to help in case he thinks it will slow me down. Sure, if the kid’s slow I might be a bit slower, but I doubt he will be. Coming to cross country on your first day must mean you have some talent.

“Thanks,” he whispered, looking up and smiling at me. Bless him. At least he isn't one of the cocky arrogant year seven’s that seem to be everywhere I’ve looked today. Some of them think they own the whole bloody school! It’s ridiculous!

“We’ll just do a bit of a jog for today,” dad sighed, suddenly changing his tone of voice. “I’ll even do it with you,” he added.

Nate gave a small cheer before starting to run off towards the field, behind it is where the river is.

“I’m not letting some kid beat me,” my dad shouted after him, jokingly though, before heading off the way Nate had gone seconds earlier.

“You guys coming?” I asked them, not wanting them to feel left out or anything.

The taller one, who’s in my year just shrugged his shoulders at me and then headed off. The year seven stayed right beside me and the guy who I thought Nate and I would get on with just laughed at my attempt to get us all talking. I really need to learn some names, don’t I?

Seeing as it was just the three of us now, we decided to go together. It wasn't like today was anything serious or anything.

“So...” I said as we jogged across the field. “Erm, what’re your names guys?” I asked. I don’t know what it is about that question but I hate asking it. It makes me feel really young. Ha, there must be a more grown-up way of asking that.

“James,” the older one told me. I smiled at him, glad that this time he’s not just laughing at my attempts at being nice and friendly to them. For a second I thought he was willing to actually give this a try, friendship that is. Or maybe even just a conversation. But instead of waiting with us he ran off ahead. I suppose he might just be competitive.

“Alex,” the one in year seven answered.

“Matt,” I told him, rolling my eyes at James as he ran off.

Things felt a lot more relaxed after the run, well, it was meant to be a jog, but dad had to start rushing us at the end because he forgot about what time the training finished. When we got back I actually felt like I’d got to know Alex really well. Sure he’s younger and I wouldn't have met him if it wasn't for this, but that’s the beauty of sports clubs, you meet and get to know people that you might not usually hang around with.

As we were walking back inside, dad pulled me to one side, saying that he needed a word with me.

“Is everything alright?” he asked.

I nodded at him, wondering why it wouldn't be.

“You didn't look like you were trying today,” he told me. “And Nate told me you seemed a bit off.”

“Well Nate’s wrong,” I said putting emphasis on my words. “I’ve actually had a great day,” I told him.

Today has been great. Riley started at the school, I didn't get too much homework and I made some new friends. If you ask me that’s a pretty good start to the year.

I don’t really understand why he even needed to ask me that. But what’s confusing me even more if why Nate would tell him that I seemed ‘a bit off’ as dad so thoughtfully put it.

“Are you sure everything’s alright?” he asked me again as we walked back to the changing rooms.

“Yes dad,” I hissed, actually feeling a bit annoyed by his constant questioning.

“You are okay with me and Caron aren’t you?”

This was really making me mad now. I don’t even know why. He’s just asking me questions, but I really wish that he wouldn't.

“Dad, I’ve already told you I’m fine, nothing is wrong,” I told him. “Just drop it alright.”

He nodded at me and walked into the rooms. I went over to change next to Nate, who gave me a knowing look. What’s he been saying to my dad?

“Wasn't me,” he mumbled as he noticed the glare I gave him.

“You told my dad I seemed off.”

He looked at me with raised eyebrows, trying to act clueless.

“What did you tell him and why?” I hissed.

Nate simply shook his head at me.

“Haven’t said a word.”

Sure he might be doing a pretty good job of hiding this from me for now, but I swear I will get it out of him. He’d best tell me sooner rather than later too, because the longer he makes me wait, the more likely it becomes that he’s going to have some ‘freak accident’, if you know what I mean.
♠ ♠ ♠
You could say that this one is a bit of a filler hehe
Next chapter you'll find out what happened to Riley
Dun dun dunnnn xD
hehehe :)

Thanks to
nicholas joseph;
rossakamfzb
Moosey
for commenting

Oh and Moose i need to tell you something but I don't want to open another window xD So i shall tell you here
Camilian Circuit (if you can't remember who they are i shall kill you) got number 37? in the iTunes rock charts xD Ages ago now though haha Charlie was so shocked :)