The Ferals

"The sight in town was startling. They tell me the careening noises from the forest were made by a demon, but the figure that walked into Wintergreen Street was just a boy. He stood there stark naked, and the lack of tanning lines told me that he had not worn a speck of clothing for some time. His eyes glowed in the darkness – like the eyes of a fierce cat. Upon seeing this demon-boy, the baker let his mutt loose to rip the child apart. I believe it was a moment of insanity, but we were all afraid. The demon-boy's face did not alter when he saw the great dog leaping towards him. He made no move to run, and at this point I believed there was something wrong with the lad. As the mutt continued its charge, he simply took an odd stance and held out his weapon; it was a long knife, perhaps closer to a sword, but still as narrow as a pole. This weapon stabbed through the dog, pierced through its ribcage in the width of a heartbeat and killed it. Some of the women began to gather their children inside. I felt comforted knowing that Marie and Georgina were safe at home – safe from naught but a little boy! Perhaps the child was older than he looked, true, his ribs glared out and his posture was bent. I half expected him to fall down and begin running about on all fours. It was like nothing I have ever witnessed."