The Demon Princess and the Vampire Princes

Chapter XI

Chapter XI
Am I Cinderella?


“So, what are you all dressed up for?” I ask, peeking over at Blaze from above my book.

“Pixie,” Blaze says, snatching the book out of my hands, “I need your honest opinion on something.”

“What?” I ask, raising an eyebrow to show fake-interest.

“Do I look like a geek in this suit?”

Blaze looked at me from over his shoulder as he studied himself in the full-length mirror. It was that single glance of utter vulnerability that made me forget about whatever sarcastic comment I was planning on making. I studied him a bit more closely. He was wearing your standard black-and-white tuxedo, looking silvery in the dimly lit room. His black hair was combed back away from his face, revealing his grey eyes to me. He looked every ounce a Prince of Vampires — not to mention handsome.

“Well?” he asks nervously.

“Where are you going?” I ask, a moment of panic engulfing me.

“There’s a ball starting in just a few minutes downstairs.”

Relief flooded me. I wouldn’t have to be forced back into that freezing cellar once more — for now, that is. “You look like a Prince,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“That doesn’t answer my question, Pixie,” Blaze says irritably. “Of course I look like a Prince because I am a Prince.”

“Someone can be something and look like another,” I say, snatching my book away from him. “You look handsome, alright?”

“Thank you,” he says, heading for the door. “Oh, and by the way, Abel’s already asleep, so you can just stay right here if you want.”

I nodded absentmindedly, my smirk covered by the thick novel. He closes the dark mahogany door, and I listened and counted as his footsteps faded; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 … until they could no longer be heard. I stand up from the silky black covers atop of the bed that I had sat on all day. Now it’s time to have some fun, I think with a smirk. I rummage through my closet, searching for it. Where could it be? Surely I had brought it along from the last time I ran, I think, my brows drawn together in my frustration. I finally find it, and smirk once again. This is going to be one night that I’ll never forget.

ღ ☮ ♥ ♥ ☮ ღ


The room smelled of Vampires, definitely. It was so obviously a high-class ball with the murmurs of things that I couldn’t care less about. It was full of such rich and snobby people that I nearly turned back around and left. Then I remembered why I was here.

Seeing as how my reasons to crashing a Vampire ball are probably all foggy and confusing to your simple human brains, I will go ahead and explain. I am presently crashing this dance as a distraction. I’ve been under too much stress with the problems at hand — the war about to break out between Demons and Vampires, my Father, finding a safer place for Abel, and much, much more. I need something to help me forget about it all. Just for a moment. Isn’t that enough of a reason?

The brown dress I was currently wearing was one of my favorites. It’s the color of milk chocolate, and velvet to the touch. It stops right at my knees, and flows freely around me like a blooming rose held upside down. It was strapless with a cute “picnic girl” kind of top. It has a bow like belt tied around the waist, that’s otherwise unnoticeable. My golden locket dangled around my neck, bouncing ever so slightly as I walked. A black-and-white mask covered my face, and my thick black lashes hid my fiery eyes. Golden heels decorated my feet, making a barely audible click as it touched the wooden floor.

Women passed by me without so much as a glance in their fancy silky dresses. I continued walking. If they choose to ignore me, then I choose to ignore them.

I look over to where the six thrones stood high above the crowd. There sat the King with his short black hair that was barely able to be seen from under the golden crown that glittered with thousands of gems. He wore your average black tuxedo that was hidden much like his hair with a thick, velvet cloak of some sorts. Next was the Queen with her wavy auburn hair and a crown that was smaller than the King’s, but crammed with gems of all colors. She wore a red silk dress that reminded me of blood, and flowed elegantly around her. I finally took notice to the four Princes. They were all dressed much similar to how Blaze had looked earlier. Prince Kenton looked alert and serious, a crown of gold with a midnight blue stone encrusted into it atop of his head. Blaze looked bored out of his wits with a gold crown similar to Kenton’s but with a fiery red stone. Adam seem annoyed by something, or someone, with an emerald green stone shining above his head. Tyrone, grinning like himself and obviously the cause to Adam’s irritation, with a stone clearer than opal reflecting and momentarily blinding me.

I caught Blaze’s eyes, smirk, and wink to let him know it’s who he thinks it is.

I knew this was going to be fun.

I spun around, nearly bumping into a young gentleman. He was pale as a Vampire with an arrogance that seemed to pulse and pump like a heartbeat around him. He was a redhead with beady black eyes that ran over me like I was some kind of “play thing.” His smirk reminded me of a snarling mutant wolf’s — and he seemed to think of it as attractive.

“Can I help you?” I ask with boredom, my eyelids drooping lazily over my liquid-fire eyes.

He licked his lips. “Care to dance?” he asks, chuckling like what he said was actually amusing.

I raise an eyebrow at him, perfectly aware that I probably resembled a predator that just found some prey to play with. My smile was dangerous, and I could tell that he knew it. There was this sudden uncertainty, vulnerability, but was quickly replaced by wavering cockiness.

“Now,” I begin in a huntress’s voice, “what reason would I have to dance with you?”

I could tell I had taken him by surprise by his startled, trapped-animal eyes.

“You’re just another one of those pretty boys who’re just so used to getting everything they want just because of some ‘charm.’”

“Uh, umm —”

“Oh, no. I’m not finished yet,” I say sharply. “You think you can just walk over here, turn on that ‘smirk,’ and I’ll come swooning to your every command. Well, sir, you’ve got another thing coming if you think I’ll get down on my knees for you.”

With my rant finished, I walked on past him, and toward where — with pathetic human eyes, it would appear as some cherry fruit punch, but, was in fact, thick, delicious blood. I grabbed one of the crystal glasses, and just slowly sip on the scarlet that I so badly wanted to gulp down. I looked around at the dancers, and at the people who thought they were “too cool” to dance, analyzing everything with alertness, but a façade of boredom.

“Enjoying yourself, Pixie?” Blaze asks from beside me, seeming to materialize from the air.

I don’t even bother to turn and show the eager audience that was trying not to show its interest that I was acknowledging him. “Classy, but terribly stuffy.”

“You still haven’t answered my question.”

I smirk. “Yes, actually. It’s nice to pretend that there isn’t a war going on around us.”

“Yeah, I guess,” he says with some kind of anger that was barely detectable. I finally looked at him to see him frowning — possibly pouting, I’m not really sure.

“What’s wrong?” I ask quietly.

“Just that you’ll have to leave soon,” he grumbles bitterly. “I mean, do you really have to go back?”

I looked away from him, staring across the room at the window-wall where a crescent moon shone brilliantly against the blackened sky.

“It’s what I have to do, Blaze,” I say with a sigh. “If I had a choice, then I would stay.”

He sighs, too, and I look at him again. He seemed like a completely changed person with his thoughtful and sincere expression. I knew he understood when his ash-grey eyes met my fiery ones.

Then, as I’m not surprised it did, his arrogance returned, and he smirked at me. “Wanna dance?”

I smile. Just what I was looking for. “Hold that thought.”

Faster than lightning, I found the DJ. He jumped, obviously not anticipating my sudden arrival. “Can you play this song for me?” I give him my best flirty smile.

“S-sure.”

I flash back, smirking. “Where’d you go?” Blaze asks curiously.

“Somewhere,” I say with an innocent smile. “Now, about that dance?”

He smirks. “Right this way, Pixie.”

He laces his fingers between our joined hands, leading me to the dance floor. He spins around, pulling me closer to him; his formerly free hand rested on my lower back, while the other continued to hold my own. I rest my other hand on his shoulder, and quickly fall into step with him as the song I requested begins to play.

We danced, and danced, and danced. I lost track of time, and I’m fairly sure Blaze did, too. It was one blissful moment that I’ll never forget for all of my life and the lives to come.