Sequel: Rookie
Status: Complete!

Shooting Stars

True Pregnant Women

4 months ago
“Corey, go to bed. You are keeping me up,” I whined into the phone. Corey Crawford called tonight when I was getting ready for bed. We’ve been on the phone for three hours now. He quickly became one of my favorites on the team. We talked after every single game. He was my best guy friend, not that Pat, Pat, and Jon weren’t, but Corey was different. He was from my home town. Or at least, he played there.
“But I’m not tired,” he said before he yawned.
“Not tired, huh?” we both laughed.
“Fine, I’ll go if you promise to have dinner with me tomorrow.”
“Alright, it’s only because you’re my Crawf.”
“I’ll pick you up after we get back, okay?”
“Okay, I’ll see you in the evening. Goodnight, Corey.”
“Night, Soph,” he hung up as did I before I finally was allowed to sleep, three hours later.
The next morning I awoke with morning sickness. I flushed the toilet as Abby came into my room to see me washing my face in the sink.
“Sophie, I think I’m pregnant,” Abby declared as she sat down on the toilet seat.
“What?” I exclaimed in excitement.
“I threw up ten minutes ago and I had a test in my drawer, so I peed on the stick and it said pregnant.”
“Abby, that’s great. It’s what you want, isn’t it?” I asked since she really wasn’t all that excited.
“Of course I want a baby; I just don’t want to lose another.”
“Look, if you are pregnant, you and I are going to do everything that is good for a pregnant lady. We will exercise, eat right, and go to our regular doctor visits. I promise, unless something goes utterly wrong, you are going to be a mother. I will do everything I can to help you. Come on, let’s go call my doctor, see if we can get you in.”
I called and Doctor Phelps said she had an opening right now so Abby and I quickly dressed and rushed over. They made her take a urine test and we waited for the results in a room.
“Abby Sharp, congratulations. You are going to be a Mommy.” Abby let out a breath I don’t think she realized she was holding. “I’m going to write you a script for prenatal vitamins. You should schedule another appointment within six weeks.”
“Thank you,” Abby smiled at the doctor before taking her prescription and we left. Abby danced on the sidewalk as we headed to her car.
“Abby, I’m really happy for you,” I spoke up for the first time since we got to the office.
“I’m so happy I could be on cloud nine for all I know.”
“How are you going to tell Patrick?”
“I think I’ll meet him at the UC tonight when they come home. He won’t be expecting me, but it will be special. We’ll go to dinner and I’ll tell him there.”
“That’s a great idea, Abby. You two are going to be great parents, I know you are. You are great with me,” I looked at my hands that were entangled in my t-shirt. I hadn’t really gained weight yet, but Doctor Phelps any day now I could start to show.
“Hey, I don’t see you as a child, Soph. You are one of my best friends now. You aren’t a child and you especially don’t act like one.”
“Thanks,” I replied and gave her a hug when she stopped at a traffic light.
“I’m starving, do you want something to eat?” she spoke like a true pregnant woman.
“Just something small, I’m not all that hungry.”
“Oh shoot. I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay. I’m glad I went with you.”
“Thank you, Sophie.”
“You are very welcome, Abby. I know what it’s like to go through this alone and no one should ever have to.”
“That’s exactly why you aren’t a child,” she said as she pulled into the Arby’s drive through. She sure did know my downfall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo,,, I need comments! I just want some feedback. I seem to get a lot of readers but not that many subscribers, so if there's something off you want me to improve on, let me know! And I just wanted to let you all know that I'm already working on a sequel even thought this isn't exactly finished yet... Anyways, comments!