Sequel: Rookie
Status: Complete!

Shooting Stars

The Next Nine Months

“Ava, this is your home,” Corey said carrying my baby girl inside his house. I still couldn’t carry much with my bum arm even though the cast was now off. This was Ava’s first time home and it had been six weeks. Those six weeks I spent going between the hockey rink to cheer my boys on in the Stanley Cup Finals, but they unfortunately lost and my baby at the hospital. Abby was about ready to pop too, even though she had a couple more weeks left. Sharpie couldn’t wait for his little guy to get there because he hated doing everything for Abby when he was home.
I went to put Ava’s stuff in her bedroom as Corey showed her around the house before putting her to bed. I was collapsed on my bed as Corey went past my room.
“Hey, I’m worried about you.”
“Don’t be, Corey. You worry way too much.”
“It’s because I care about you, Sophie.”
“I understand, I just can’t have so many people hovering over me and asking me if I’m doing alright, or that they are worried about me. I’m very independent. You know that. Everyone knows that. I just hate having people always there to watch over my shoulder.”
“Okay. All you had to do was say back off,” he stormed off. I felt bad, but a little better knowing I had finally gotten some space. I fell asleep for a little while, but awoke to Ava’s cries. I got up and just about ran into Corey.
“I got her,” I told him and he nodded before going back downstairs.

Before I knew it, Ava was coming up to the six months old mark. We were still living with Corey and he and I had a better understanding of the whole parenting thing. Abby and Patrick had also learned a lot from Corey and me.
Today I had to bring Ava in for her six month appointment with Doctor Phelps’ husband, Mr. Phelps.
“Good morning, Sophie. Why hello, Ava!” he animatedly said to my daughter. He started the check up and was quickly done. “She’s doing great, Soph. I never saw a premature baby mature so quickly. Normally they don’t get so big so quickly and normally they take longer to walk. So, prepare yourself for her to not walk for a while, probably past the first year. She probably won’t talk until long after that, it just comes as a side effect of prematurity. But her heart is strong and she seems perfectly healthy.”
“I’m glad; I thought she was getting a little cold. Corey kept telling me I was worrying over nothing, but it would be her first true cold.”
“I didn’t hear anything in her lungs, so don’t worry. And besides, she’s bound to get a cold any time seeing as it’s almost winter, Sophie. But just know you are doing a good job being a teen mom.”
“Thank you, but I do have quite a bit of help,” I replied as he laughed and I took my daughter from him, we left after planning the next visit. I drove us home. Corey was there, eating after his morning practice.
“Hey, Corey,” I said to him. He stopped eating and looked to Ava. “She’s not sick; I guess I should listen to you more often.”
“Told you so,” he mocked. I stuck my tongue out at him and heard him laugh as I went to put Ava down for her nap. She was out within minutes and I went to work while Corey stayed home to watch Ava.

“You missed something really great today,” Corey told me as I got to the rink after work.
“What did I miss?” I asked Sharpie knowing that Corey wouldn’t tell me right away.
“Ava said her first word,” this surprised me because she was only nine months old and the doctor said she wouldn’t talk until after she walked.
“What?” I exclaimed in shock that I missed my baby’s first word.
“Yeah, we were all just hanging out in the locker room before free skate and she just blurted it out.”
“What’d she say?”
“Dada,” Corey said proudly. He had pretty much taken the fatherly role in Ava’s life, but I was kind of upset she said Dada first before Momma.
“Oh.”
“Now she won’t shut up,” Jon said coming over to us. I started to reach for my skates and slipped them on.
“Is she only saying the one word?”
“No, she likes Momma and puck too. But that’s it. Literally,” Jon appeared irritated.
“She can say puck?”
“It’s more like paaah, but yeah,” Corey answered.
“Where is she now?”
“Abby took her and Jr. home,” Sharpie replied.
“Ok, are we going to skate, or what?” I asked as I grabbed a hockey stick and headed onto the ice. The boys followed suit and Corey went to the net. We quickly played a short game so I could get back to Ava.
“Sophie, can I talk to you?” Coach Quenneville asked me after our short game.
“Sure thing, Coach,” I replied before taking a long drink of water and following him towards the locker room.
“Sophie, have you ever thought about playing hockey outside of the games you play against my team?”
“Uh, no. Not really, I have a nine month old daughter and a job. I really don’t have time to do much else besides pick up games.”
“Well, I think you should. I want you to quit your job and come to practice with the team. Mr. Wirtz already approved of this plan too. He’ll pay you a salary if you agree to be a practice player, basically a b-string.”
“So the practice squad?” I asked to make sure I understood correctly.
“Yes, basically.”
“And you want me to quit my job and just be a practice squad player? How much will I get paid? I have bills to pay.”
“More than you make waitressing, I promise, Sophie.”
“Okay, I guess that could work out.”
“Good, you start on Monday,” he said since the team had away games Saturday and Sunday.
“Okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Only one more chapter left. I'm excited for you all to see the sequel I've been working on!! Comment please!
Ava's nursery
Ava