Sequel: Rookie
Status: Complete!

Shooting Stars

Slow Recovery

Three days later
“Sophie, time to wake up.” D said to me.
“Why, I’m not going to do anything today.”
“You are making the call or I’ll kill you.”
“You’ve had a million chances to kill me. Why haven’t you?”
“You are worth money. You were seen at dinner with the Blackhawks. They are really worried about you being gone.”
“They’ve filed a missing person’s report. That’s cool. But I assume they will never find us here. My guess is that we are twenty minutes outside of Chicago, far enough for the search party to not go this far originally and close enough where you can still get the local headlines quickly about me being missing.”
“You’re a smart girl. Just make the damn call. There’s a number they want people to call if they see you. I want you to call in and say exactly what I tell you to.”
“Fine, if it means leaving or dying, sure.”
“It’s ringing. When they answer I want you to tell them who you are.”
I heard some lady’s voice on the other end.
“This is Sophie Mosier.”
“Tell her you are being held hostage.”
“I’m being held hostage.”
“Tell her your kidnappers want twenty million dollars for your safe return. We will be in contact with where to get the money.”
“They want 20 million for my return. They will be in contact with details for where the money will go.”
“Hang up,” I did as he said.

“Jackie! I think we’ve got her. This girl just called in two minutes ago. Is this her voice?”
“I’m being held hostage. They want 20 million for my safe return,” Sophie’s voice boomed through the speakers.
“That’s Sophie. Can you get a location?”
“It’s triangulating.”
“That, there she is! I need a crew. I don’t know what they’ve got there that’s keeping her.”
“We have a crew standing by, they can meet us there,” the head detective said. I nodded and the two of us rushed out to his car. I hopped in the passenger seat as he radioed in the location. He turned his lights on and we sped away from the police station to the location that my cousin was being held. The team was in place when we arrived. They had covered all exits and entrances of the warehouse. The detective signaled for them to go in. They busted down the doors and entered. I heard them yell freeze.

I awoke to the noise of doors breaking. I then heard freeze being yelled. I was startled, but glad that someone had found me. I knew I waited long enough for the police to trace my call. I’m glad. I hated being raped relentlessly.
“Sophie?” an officer asked. I nodded. He handed me a blanket so I could warm up. I was literally freezing, my body turning weird colors, since I was only in a bikini.
The guys, D and M, were arrested and then Jackie ran into the warehouse.
“SOPHIE!” she yelled as she ran towards me. The officer stopped her from hugging me.
“She’s covered in evidence. You can’t touch her,” he stated.
“I’m so glad you are okay. You look like a mess,” she told me. The paramedics arrived shortly after and they took me to the hospital.
“Run a rape kit,” I told the ER nurse. You could say I’ve watched too many TV shows, but hey, it helps to know what’s going on.
My parents met me at the hospital with clean clothes to change into. The nurse wouldn’t let me since I had to stay at the hospital overnight. I had to be in their gown. I didn’t care; I had the people that mattered there with me.
“How are you holding up?” Jon asked me later that night. Jackie had called him and him and a few of the guys came to visit. They would only allow two in at a time, but I was grateful.
“Better than is to be expected of me, I suppose,” I replied to Jon.
“You are going to get payback for what they did to you,” Brent Seabrook told me.
“By throwing their asses in jail? Nah, they will be out in a maximum of fifteen years.”
“What makes you say that?”
“Previous examples, all the other cases that I’ve studied in my online children and family law and criminal law classes, only about 10% of rapists die in jail. Most of them get released to try and behave themselves a second time.”
“Captain, the Feds are here to talk to her,” Bicky told Jon. He nodded and squeezed my hand reassuringly. I nodded back and they left. A couple of guys in suits appeared in my doorway next.
“Sophie Mosier?”
“That’s me,” I replied to one of the men in the dark suits. He was about six foot eight with broad shoulders and a slim body. The other man had blonde hair, freckles, and stood about six foot even.
“We would like to ask you a few questions. Would you like anyone in here with you while we question?”
“I’m fine by myself. Take a seat and get started.”
“Are these the men that raped and assaulted you?” the blond asked.
“Mind telling me your names first? I don’t talk to strangers,” I replied quietly.
“Federal Bureau of Investigation Agents McNally and Pierson. We want to know if these are your rapists?” he asked again showing me the pictures.
“Yes,” I said after taking a brief glance at them.
“You are positive?”
“Definitely.”
“Where did they keep you?”
“The middle of a warehouse. I’m not sure where exactly it was. You could ask the responding officers to my call. I just wanted to get out of there, but then they sent me here in an ambulance. I didn’t have time to know where I was.”
“What was in the warehouse?”
“Saws, sawdust, carpentry items, anything that goes with carpentry,” I answered.
“What did these men call themselves in front of you?”
“M and D. They only used the first letters. Never once did they use a full name or anything resembling it.”
“How many times did they rape you?”
“The first day it was only twice per guy. Then it went anywhere from three to four times a day.”
“Before you were kidnapped, had you ever seen either man in your life?”
“Not to my knowledge. I could’ve seen them on a street, but that wouldn’t mean anything to me.”
“Thank you, Sophie. Someone will be in contact with you or your family with court dates and other questions. Have a nice night,” they left my room. My dad reentered.
“What did they want?”
“They wanted more information on the guys. My guess is that they are on some wanted list and they needed more information to pinpoint if they were the same guys.”
“You watch too much TV,” Dad said before telling me to get some sleep and he’d see me in the morning.