Sequel: Puppet to the Crown
Status: Same story is posted by me on Quizilla under the username ParentalAdvisory4382

Slave to Destiny

Chapter 24

Image

Chapter 24

“Tonight is the first night of the Winter Festivals. I hope that all of you have been enjoying yourselves,” Master Corban announced raising a crystal glass full of blood, “As you all know we have recently defeated the revolting MUTTs. I am pleased to say we have destroyed their royalty and soon they will all bend to our will.”

The entire great hall burst into applause. Vampires began to stand up in a standing ovation. It was sickening. My stomach clenched. They were talking about my family, my pack, my people. A reminder shock tingled on my spine. My collar reminded me to keep my wolf contained. The grand hall was set up with the Royal table raised on a platform at one end, and the rests of the tables were scattered in front of it. Bright golden lights were strung up around the hall. Extravagant chandeliers dangled from the ceiling lighting up room.

I stood behind King Edmund dressed in a short white and black dress that indicated my slave standing. As if my collar couldn’t point that out. Upon Master Corban sitting down in his seat, hundreds of slaves stepped froward to place the silver trays full of food they had once been holding in front of their designated noble. I placed mine in front of the king.

Edmund grinned up at me. He didn’t follow any of the rules of etiquette as he dug into the plate of prime rib and mashed potatoes. It looked positively delicious to be perfectly honest. The night drowned on as the slaves stood at the back of the room filling cups and bringing out deserts. By the end King Edmund looked bored out of his mind. He was not going to handle it much longer. It was nearly three hours past his bed time.

Bennett his body guard stood by my side watching the young King. “They never listen to me,” Bennett grumbled, “This is not going to end up well,” Bennett whispered to me in a hushed voice. I nodded in agreement.

Just as the guests began to transfer themselves into the ball room, I heard the screams. King Edmund was having a complete fit banging his fists on the table and screaming, “I don’t want to!” Mistress Abigail was attempting to pick up the child and lead him into the ballroom, but he wasn’t having any of it.

Everyone stopped and stared. My breath was caught in my throat as I heard Abigail hiss so harshly at the child, “Behave like a King you little brat.” Maybe other people hadn’t heard…I knew they had, but no one said anything. Edmund broke down into a bawling fit of tears and began shoving her away. Normally he would never act this way, but the poor thing was completely exhausted.

I could hear the whispers as people began to talk. It was at this moment I decided to step out of line and intervene. Like a princess I stepped forward with confidence in every motion. I lightly picked up the child who instantly wrapped his arms around my neck and buried his face into my chest. Mistress Abigail glared at me her eyes full of fury. “I will take him to his room,” I told her before turning on my heel and exiting the grand dinning room. The guest parted as I approached. A strait pathway towards the door was formed.

Bennett trailed quickly behind.

Edmund grumbled, “I want to go to bed,” as I carried him up the stairs with ease.

“I know honey,” I whispered comfortingly. I was glad to have left the party. It bothered me watching Cole flounce around like he was one of them. He wasn’t, I just knew it. I’m not sure how, but I knew he was good. My only fear was that he would be too scared to stand up for what he believes in, too scared to stand up with me.

Minutes later I was tucking Edmund into bed. Upon hitting the soft cushion of the bed Edmund passed out fast asleep. I smiled lightly at him, before walking out of the room flicking the light switch off as I went. Bennett remained standing next to the door for security sake. Having a five year old king in a castle full of potential assassins led to extra security features.

I took my time on wandering back down to the dining room to help clean up while the guests danced the night away. The entire night was miserable in the eyes of a slave, but Blaire assured me I would enjoy the final night. She had it all planned. The final night was always a masquerade ball so no one would know that I was a slave unless they saw my collar. She seemed to think she could cover it up though. I couldn’t help but want to jump with excitement at the mere thought of dancing with Cole.

“Well well well what do we have here?” a sickening voice broke the silence taking me out of my blissful thoughts.

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who the voice belonged to. As I glanced up at the man’s face I could see the grotesque oozing marks across his face from my attack. It was strange how vampires couldn’t heal from a werewolf attack. I suppose it was to even the playing field. They could toss silver on us, we could bite and scrape them. Anyway back to the present situation.

I was currently staring face to face with the man that wanted to kill me. “Don’t come near me,” I growled at him.

“Now now MUTT don’t be distant,” Gregory muttered stepping towards me. A sick grin was twisted upon his faces. He disgusted me.

“Cole will kill you,” I threatened. I was determined not to back down.

Gregory laughed loudly before closing the distance between us and slamming me against the wall. Here we go again. Only this time I was pretty sure I couldn’t run into Cole’s arms for protection.
♠ ♠ ♠
What's going to happen next? Is Cole going to save her? Or is he going to stay with Blaire in the ballroom? I don't know :)
Comment and subscribe if you dare!
By the way 62 subscribers and 49 comments is pretty freaking awesome.