Sequel: Puppet to the Crown
Status: Same story is posted by me on Quizilla under the username ParentalAdvisory4382

Slave to Destiny

Chapter 27

Image

Chapter 27

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I watched blood rushing out of my dear friend’s neck. I’d know the eyes immediately. They belonged to Maria. Who is Maria you might ask. Well she used to be my cousin-in-law. As I may have mentioned before I have a cousin by the name of Troy. I greatly suspected he had taken control of the werewolf revolt upon my supposed death. Considering his newly wed wife had just been sacrificed before me I suspected he had in fact taken over.

This wasn’t going to be good. I watched in horror as blood spilt from her neck onto the platform. Her normally golden blond fur was caked with scarlet red. My stomach felt twisted and sick. Glancing around at the people around only increased my horror. They were smiling and cheering as if the death of Maria was some kind of entertainment. Their sharp jagged teeth were out on display for the world. Edmund had buried his face into my dress.

“Now my ladies and gentleman, some of you may be curious to know who this MUTT is,” Corban told the crowd with a sickening grin.

“Well this is in fact the wife of the MUTT’s new leader. Pathetic really, isn’t she?” he continued looking down at the bloody corpse of the wolf. Maria had been gorgeous. She was perfect in brains and looks. Looking at her on the platform sent violent shocks up and down my spine. These people were caked in the blood of my people, and I wasn’t going to stand for it anymore.

“Hopefully Troy gets the message that we aren’t in the mood for his childish antics. This revolt ends here!” he roared. His speech was met with applause while I whimpered in pain from the shocks that had overcome my body. I had never felt like the task before me was so impossible. Maybe the Night Mother was wrong. Maybe I wasn’t cut out to do this. It horrified me to realize I had a more than valid chance of dying. My people could very well be enslaved with me.

Troy wasn’t going to handle this well. He would attack and soon. Corban would possibly be taken off guard by the thought of werewolves attacking immediately. He probably expected them to come up with a war strategy. Not Troy though. I had thought I would have years to figure out my plan of action for taking back my Kingdom. Now it could very well just be days.

My world was crashing down around me. I could only keep up this facade for so long. Cole already suspected me. My breaths were short and inconsistent as I felt my body begin to panic. My dear Night Mother what is happing? Please help me.

A slight breeze picked up in the festival. My hair flew wildly about. As I stared up at the giant golden orb in the sky I felt comfort. Perhaps she did have a plan for me.

“Is it over?” Edmund whispered to me looking rather ill from the entire gruesome scene. I nodded my head and hugged the child. It made me feel sick too.

“Come on Edmund,” I whispered grasping his tiny hand and tugging him off towards the rides, “Let’s cheer ourselves up. Kayli is probably somewhere around here.” At the mere thought of Kayli, Edmund perked up and began glancing around in excitement. It was amazing the things you love could do. It was also absolutely adorable to see such a love struck child.

Within minutes we had found Blaire and Kayli who had been walking around amongst the stalls. Edmund and Kayli immediately escaped from us and ran off into the crowd enjoying their own childish antics. Bennett the bodyguard trailed behind them with ease. “I bought your dress for the ball,” Blaire whispered in my ear grinning from ear to ear. She seemed more excited about the ball than I did.

“I can’t believe you are going to try to dress me up. I’m a slave, remember?” I grumbled. My mood was shot now that I had to worry about the impending werewolf attack. Hopefully Troy picked a good leader for the army or this was going to be a complete and utter disaster. I felt for him. He was probably heartbroken now that Maria was dead.

Blaire laughed loudly, “Honey you are far from a slave. Anyone with eyes can see you’re a princess. The thing is those oldies who keep living in the past don’t want to see it. They have to realize that society has changed and that we need change with it.” Her words were wise. I suspected people didn’t give her nearly enough credit for her brains. Education was evident just by the things she said.

“I’m nervous,” I mumbled revealing my fears, “Killing Maria is not a good thing. Troy has a temper enough already. This is going to send him over the edge.”

Blaire remained silent. She could sense the danger in the situation, but like me she wasn’t entirely sure what to make of it. “Cole suspects something. This morning he was getting all worked up over something the witch had told him. Apparently he thinks I’m ‘something else’. I’m not sure what to do about it, but avoid him.”

“Don’t avoid him. I’m sure he’s just confused. He is completely and utterly in love with you. I know it,” Blaire told me without the slightest waiver. How could she be so sure? I wasn’t even confident that he wouldn’t kill me, better yet love me.

I sighed as I darted my eyes around looking for Edmund and Kayli. They landed on a blushing Kayli who had just been handed a red teddy bear by Edmund. Young love was wonderful, but I couldn’t deal with it. I needed to focus on a plan. I needed to save people. Blaire may not be able to admit it, but I can. I am a slave.

I am a slave to destiny.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah there was no way you were going to guess who the sacrifice was :)
Oh well.
By the way someone asked why I capitalize MUTT and the answer is...I have no idea. I just do.
I love my eighty subscribers!