Sequel: Puppet to the Crown
Status: Same story is posted by me on Quizilla under the username ParentalAdvisory4382

Slave to Destiny

Chapter 8

Image

Chapter 8

“What are you doing you foolish girl?” an enraged man stood meters away from us. King Edmund had insisted on playing trains for nearly three hours. It was sort of amusing playing along with him. Although mentally I was punching myself because my Kingdom was ‘taken’ over by a five year old.

The man waited for no response before grabbing ahold of my matted golden brown hair and dragging me across the room by it. My scalp felt like it was on fire, and I let out a sharp scream as I attempted to claw at my attacker earning me shocks from the collar. “Don’t hurt her!” the King cried out.

The unknown intruder promptly dropped me. I glanced up at him. He was about my age with shaggy chocolate colored hair, deep emerald eyes, skin the color of creme, strait nose, and a muscled body. If it weren’t for the fact my scalp felt like it was about to fall off I’m pretty sure I’d consider him very attractive. Then again they usually are. “What are you talking about Edmund?” the man asked. He’s calling him Edmund. They must be quite close.

“She’s my friend,” he giggled, before trotting over and wrapping his pale arms around me. Glancing at both of them I could see the family resemblance. That meant the man would have to be the King’s cousin, Cole. That would also mean he’s the guy that sent the formal apology five hours before my birthday party saying he could not attend because of pressing matters. Asshole.

“She,” he said the word with venom, “is supposed to be cleaning not bothering you.” My eyes narrowed and I began to openly glare at Cole with contempt. He was third in line to become the Vampire King. The only two in front of him were Edmund and Cole’s Uncle Corban. This is so messed up. I was never going to make it as a slave. This was a hard gig. Way to much drama.

Edmund began to let the water works off again just in time for yet another visitor to arrive. Why don’t they just kill me now? I know I broke the rules, but this is getting excessive. The visitor was the ever so friendly Master Corban. “What is going on here?” he hissed looking even more animalistic than before as he stared at the King who was now openly crying again.

“Father,” Cole informed him, “this mutt has been playing with Edmund all afternoon.” Master Corban’s face shriveled up in disgust at the mere thought of his perfect nephew and King playing with a werewolf. He stormed over towards me where I sat on the ground clutching my head. Without a single hint of hesitation he kicked me right in the stomach.

I gasped for air desperate to breath. Why was this happening? The wind had been knocked right out of me. I tried to change earning shocks all up and down my body. I felt like I was on fire. Angry growls were coming from my lips vocalizing my displeasure. “No stop!” sobbed King Edmund as ran towards me. He clutched on to my waist like his life depended on it. “She’s my friend. Leave her alone,” the King demanded. Within seconds my injuries had healed up. That’s why they perfer werewolf slaves instead of humans. Werewolves stick around longer.

Master Corban looked perplexed. What was he supposed to do in this situation? Cole butted in with yet another comment, “Perhaps we make the slave Edmund’s nanny.” Corban looked thoughtful of the idea while I remained curled up on my side trying to ignore the intense pain I felt as Edmund insisted on squeezing tighter.

“Get up slave!” barked Master Corban. I bounced up so quickly I lost my balance and fell right into Cole. I felt his arms reach out to catch and balance me, but the moment he realized what he was doing he dropped me. What a jerk. In complete and utter rage I stood up again a little slower. Corban looked less than amused by the entire display. “What is your name child?” Who does he think he is calling me a child? I’m eighteen years old and legally an adult.

“Gabby,” I muttered.

“Named after the late princess no doubt,” snapped Cole, “she was a real piece of work. How she honestly believed there was a possibility of peace I’ll never know.” Really is this like insult Gabby day? He didn’t even know me because he didn’t come to my freaking party.

“Of course,” I muttered sarcastically earning some glares.

Master Corban finally cut in, “Gabby, you will be assigned to be Edmund’s nanny, understand? You will be doing what he wants when he wants. If you screw this up you will face a punishment worse than you can possibly imagine.” After seeing the girls walking in last night, I could imagine some pretty awful things. “Now slave get this room cleaned up and go down stairs where you belong.”

With that Corban walked out of the room with Cole following close behind. What the hell did he mean I was going to be the King’s nanny? What did a nanny even do? I attempted to pry Edmund off of my waist. It would have been better if I could call upon my wolf strength, but no the stupid collar wouldn’t let me do that. “Gabby,” Edmund whispered letting an innocent yawn escape his lips, “I’m sleepy.”

My heart went out to the child as I lifted his light frame off the ground and took him towards his bed. Maybe me being his nanny would be good for him because judging by the two visitors he received today he must have been very lonely. How on earth did they get away with leaving the poor kid alone in his room all day?

I set him down on the bed lightly, before pulling the covers up over his tiny body. “Gabby,” he pleaded as I turned away intent on working on the broken vase, “Tell me a story.” It was a simple request, and I obliged. As I sat on his bed telling him a story of adventure, love, and heroism, I almost felt good about where I was right now. At least I was helping someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thirteen Subscribers may not seen like a lot, but I'm freaking happy!
Thank you for the lovely comments.
Remember: Subscribe and Comment if you dare!