Status: Completed.

Puzzle Pieces

My Student.

It had become chilly over the past month and even snow had begun to coat everything. I hated the snow. I always had. Summer was my favorite season, from the heat to the freedom I had. Being a teacher to middle school students was tiring and when they celebrated for their three month break, I did as well.

Recently, I had started going to classes at college again, finding I had missed it. They had to be early in the morning, but I was okay with that. I made my way to my vehicle to try and make it to school before it started, but I knew I was going to be late, again.

Adjusting my shoulder bag, I looked down to step off the side walk and somehow missed the person in front of me before. We collided and laughed at our silliness. Picking up my stuff, I felt her gaze on me and I returned it. Shocked, I ate up her entire body after seeing her face.

It was Kate Greenwood, an old student of mine. I remembered her out of all of my students because of her work ethic. She was easily embarrassed and her classmates made fun of her for being behind all the time. I had offered her help and she gratefully accepted.

After mere weeks she had caught up, but the extra help continued. She had no friends I had come to find out and I worried for her a bit more than a teacher should have; almost like a father but now I realize it wasn’t even close to fatherly protection. Feeling a bit queasy, I offered her a smile.

Glancing down, I saw her books and inwardly smiled. She was taking advanced mathematics, even though when I knew her, she could barely do the basics. “Hello,” she whispered almost. Her voice had become different and sweet sounding.

“Hello, sorry about that, I didn’t mean to run into you,” I watched a rush of emotions cross her face and then her attention waver to her watch. Wanting a little bit more of her attention, I spoke again, “You’re taking advanced mathematics?”

She smiled sweetly at me and I felt a sharp pang in my chest, “Well, yes, but doesn’t mean I understand any of it. Every time I figure out something, they are two steps ahead again.”

She began to blush and her petite ears turned a pink color along with the rest of her face. “Do you want some tutoring? I could help you out,” my words made me feel sick to my stomach. What was I trying to do?

Her gaze was skeptical, “How do I know you are any better than me?” Did she really not recognize me?

I threw my head back laughing and wiped my eyes, “I guess you don’t but it is better to have help. Am I correct?” she smiled brightly and agreed making me feel sick again.

“I have class in a few minutes. Could we schedule a time?” her voice sounded unsure but my confident self wouldn’t have that.

I set a time and place and before I knew it, I gave her my address and number. Inside my car, I rested my head against the steering wheel. I needed help. She was my student, well, old student but still. Pulling out of the parking lot, I raced breaking laws to try and make it to the school on time. Barely reaching my classroom before the bell rang, I opened the door and let my students in.

Today was going to be along day.

Image
Saturday was usually the day I slept in, but sadly I had tests to grade; the down fall of assigning tests. I worked diligently until I heard a soft knock on the front door. Glancing at the clock, I swore quietly and raced to my room changing into a shirt and pants, compared to my boxers and walked calmly to the door trying to slow my heart beat.

Grabbing the door handle, I flung open the door watching as Kate jumped back a bit and clutched her heart, scared. “Good afternoon Kate,” I liked the way her name rolled off my lips and I had to control myself not to say it again.

Stepping aside, I let her slide past me and ignored the fact she blushed when she stepped a little too close. I shut the door and followed her to the kitchen seeing the mess I had made since this morning. “Excuse the mess; I was grading papers this morning.”

I cleaned off a spot for her and I snuck glances as she took in the kitchen. As I turned around to set down the stack of tests, I heard her screech loudly and jumped. Setting the papers down quickly, I walked over towards her seeing her bleeding and Mittens acting innocent. Glaring at the cat, I grabbed him and walked down the hall. “Bad kitty! She is a guest and I like her so don’t go scaring her off,” I lectured the cat. I really am a sick individual.

Shutting the door, I walked back to the kitchen and saw the blood practically streaming down her leg. “Sorry about the cat. He doesn’t take well to new people. Oh boy, he got you good. Be right back,” I quickly retrieved a bandage and towel before returning and cleaned up her leg.

I had remembered from her childhood that blood made her queasy. After I cleaned up the mess and washed my hands we began her tutoring session. She got it relatively fast and was relieved she wasn’t a complete failure, I could tell.

She would bite her lip when she thought hard and I noticed I was watching her more than grading the papers I was suppose to finish today. She glanced up when she flipped the page and I swallowed quietly as she stared for a second before going back to her problems.

Did she see the discomfort she made me feel? I shifted in my seat and waited patiently for my thoughts to decrease. She made my mind go crazy. She looked up again after sighing and I couldn’t help it. I let go. “I don’t understand this one,” her words were cut off when I kissed her.

Her lips were as soft as I had imagined and I felt my heart leap, as did she, at least away from me that is. She looked scared and confused. Hurt clouded my head and heart but I shoved it back, “Sorry, just forget it,” my mind screamed for her not to. “I think we should pick this up later.”

“But I still have,” I started packing up her stuff.

I couldn’t handle rejection right now. Maybe later, but right now I would probably breakdown. I had her out the door in less than a minute and the moment she was I fell silently against it all the way to the floor. Choking back a sob, I let my heart break slowly.

“How could I let that happen? I truly am a sick.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, another chapter! And in Tyler's POV!
I have one more chapter left and it will be complete! Yay! :D
A good song
Kisses for your comments? ;)