You're Just In Time

The Secrets That We Sold Were Never Known

I rubbed my nose, furrowing my brow as I curled up on the couch. I sniffled slightly, before rolling onto my back to meet my dad’s raised eyebrows and odd orbs, “Hi, daddy.”

“What’s up, sweetie?” he chuckled, walking around to take a seat on the chair adjacent to the couch.

I pointed to the muted television, beaming slightly, “Watchin’ the television.”

“It’s muted, weirdo,” he raised his eyebrow again.

“That’s the whole point,” I stuck my tongue out at him, sitting up straight, “See, shows these days are so cliché. I got bored with them, so I decided to make up my own story for them,” I pointed at the blonde chick on the screen, “She’s married to Mr. Handsome, who’s cheating on her with the frisky brunette. Frisky brunette’s pregnant, doesn’t want the baby and isn’t gonna tell Mr. Handsome. So, she’s going to run away and either get an illegal abortion, or… something. I haven’t thought that far, yet.”

Dad laughed, rolling his eyes slightly, “Just like your mom.”

I grooved my forehead, looking at him and smiled, “I guess so,” I got to my feet, “Is Blaise and Alex coming over today?”

“Yeah, we’re heading into the studio for a bit.”

I nodded, smiling and made my way into the kitchen. I grabbed a can of coke from the fridge, cracking it open as I turned back around. Mom was standing in the entrance way, sad smile locked against her lips, as she watched me.

“Today’s the day, isn’t it?” I bit my bottom lip, watching her.

She nodded solemnly, walking over and wrapped her arm around my shoulder, “Ten years,” she murmured.

I furrowed my brow, trying not to hiss under my breath as the tears pricked my eyes. Ten years to the day without Monroe was nuts. She and I were extremely close, and probably still would’ve been.

You see, back when I was nine years old, everything was way different. Mom had always told me that the reason Monroe left their band was due to health issues, and she didn’t want to have to face the crowd when things got into the late stages.

Monroe had cancer, and she lived out her last days surrounded by friends and family. Blaise held her hands, until her final breath slipped from her breath. I still didn’t even think he was over it, to this day.

“Hey, hey,” Alex walked in, high-fiving dad and hugging mom, “What’s up, short stuff?” he ruffled up my hair.

I gripped his wrist, pushing it away, “Jerk face! I just got my hair done right.”

He laughed aloud, pulling me against his side by wrapping his arm around my shoulders. Blaise walked in, waving aimlessly at us.

“Hi, Blaise,” I smiled, knowing he couldn’t see it.

“Hi, Melody,” he grinned back, looking in my direction.

That was just another secret of mine that I had to tuck away in the back of my mind. My parents wouldn’t get it, if I told them, but I knew that Blaise would. Something just told me that it was right somehow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? :3