Status: Complete!

The Boy Named Fang

"I Can't Stay."

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months and eventually the months turned into a year. Fang still didn't return. It didn't surprise me that he hadn't returned, but there was still that glimmer of hope in the back of my mind as I looked up at the sky.

The new school year already had started and it was as if everyone forgot about Fang aside from me. I hadn't even had any trouble from Alicia which really surprised me. I was expecting her to torture me for the rest of my high school career.

No one on the bus bothered me about him either, though none of them sat in the seat Fang used to occupy. I didn't mind though because I didn't want someone to take his seat.

I knew I was being a little obsessive, but when someone gets thrown into your life that you start to depend on for safety and companionship in the friend area, all you think about is that one person and the memories.

I sighed walking up my driveway and remembering how I was coming home to an empty home with my parents at work. Even after a year, I missed having someone else in my home with me to keep me company.

I quietly walked inside my house, shutting and locking the door behind me, and I trudged up the stairs to my room where I dropped my school things on the floor. I pulled my homework out and set it aside as I went into the the restroom for a few minutes. When I finished, I came back and grabbed my homework to bring it to the kitchen table.

I immediately dove into my homework, hoping to distract myself like I did everyday when I came home to an empty house.

"Still an A student, huh?"

"Yeah," I replied before freezing.

I heard a chuckle and I looked over at my couch and found Fang lounging on it.

Without missing a beat, I leapt out of my chair and crashed into Fang, hugging him tightly.

"You didn't miss me too much, I see," he teased, patting my head.

I didn't reply, but held onto him afraid he was going to disappear if I let go. I actually sniffled and Fang wrapped his arms around me in response.

"How did you get in?" I asked, my face still buried in his chest.

"I remembered the garage code."

I actually laughed a little and pulled away from Fang to look at him.

"You're hair has gotten so long," I pointed out, noticing his dark hair was put in a high ponytail with his bangs framed around his face.

"I kinda like it that way, though my head feels heavier," he smirked.

"It's nice," I smiled, tugging on his ponytail. "Easier to pull on."

"Don't even think about it, Sora."

I stuck my tongue out at him, but quickly hugged him again.

"So this is the girl?" a new voice asked.

I quickly jumped away from Fang and fell on the floor to find a new boy with blond hair and a set of wings staring passed me.

"Who is this?" I asked, totally freaked.

"This is Iggy. He's a part of the flock."

I opened my mouth in remembrance of the name and I also remembered that Fang told me Iggy was blind.

I stood up and walked over to Iggy who actually followed my movements despite not seeing me.

"Hi, Iggy. I'm Sora, but you probably know that already."

He smiled, "I don't think anyone doesn't know about you in the flock."

I watched as a remote came flying and hit Iggy's head. I looked at Fang who had this innocent look on his face and then Iggy who frowned, rubbing his head.

"That wasn't very nice, Fang."

"I didn't do anything, Iggy."

I stared between the two and watched them communicate silently in curiosity.

"So, uh... Does Iggy plan on staying here now?" I asked, breaking the silence.

Fang met my gaze and he looked really sad. "We can't stay, Sora. We're trying to finish the Institute and we've only grazed the top. We were nearby, so we decided to stop by."

"Oh," I frowned.

Fang stood up and moved to stand in front of me, "I'm really sorry we can't stay. If we're close again, I promise to say hello again."

I nodded and looked down, letting my head lean against Fang. His hand instinctively covered the top of my head and I could feel his eyes on me.

"Fang, I hate to break up the reunion, but we need to get out of here before we put her and ourselves in danger."

We both looked at Iggy and noticed him staring off through the back window.

"They're coming," he said.

Fang took my face in his hands and made me look him in the eyes. "Go hide in the safest place you can and don't come out until your parents come home, okay?"

I nodded, "Bye, Fang."

He stared at me, telling me goodbye through his eyes before he and Iggy ran to the front door.

"Hide, Sora," he said one last time before they flew into the sky.

I shut the door and immediately ran down the stairs and into the laundry room. I climbed into the dryer, shutting the door as best I could and I waited. I wanted to cry, but I was afraid that if whatever was coming after Fang and Iggy came into the house, they would find me, so I did my very best to hold it in. A few tears leaked out, but not once did I sob or move.

It felt like an eternity was passing me by as I waited for the noise of my mom or dad coming home. When I finally heard the front door open, I froze, but the moment I heard my name leave my mom's mouth, I climbed out of the dryer and bolted into my mom's arms where I just cried.

Later I told her what happened and she didn't seem scared, but she was sad.

"That poor boy and his family," she had said before starting on dinner.

"I know..." I trailed off, hoping and praying Fang and the others were going to be alright.
♠ ♠ ♠
It took me a while to figure out if I was going to make this the last chapter or not and I decided not. The next one might be though. I'm not entirely positive. If I can, I'll try and drag it out, but I really don't have much to go with since in the original, there was one more thing that happens and it ends. We'll just see. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed and I hope I see some more comments! Thanks to those who have been commenting! And to those who have been reading, please take five seconds of your time to comment. I usually personally thank you if you do. :)