‹ Prequel: My 'Cool' Grandpa

My Cool Family

The Dress

*Mike’s POV*
After dinner, Jack out Frankie and Jimmy to bed, and I helped Rosie with the washing-up.

“After this, I’ll show you the dress. Adrienne was saying yesterday that she wanted to try it on to see if it still fitted, just for old time’s sake.”

“Cool. So you could ask her if it still fits, and then if it fits, your job’s done, well, part of it, and if it doesn’t none of your job is done.” I grinned and she threw a dish cloth at me.

“You worry about organizing the rest of the wedding and I’ll worry about the clothes.”

"Oh, but I am worrying about the dress."

I chuckled and ducked as the dishcloth came my way again.

There was a pause. “Oh, wait, talking of clothes, have you got any pictures of bridesmaid’s gowns and groomsmen’s tuxes from their wedding, because Sarah, Ellie and I will need to be starting them pretty soon,” Rosie asked.

“Well, I have my tux, and I think Stella found her Mom’s old dress from their wedding after Annie died, so I can give you the originals to copy.”

“Mike, you are a star.”

“Well, stating the obvious, but thanks.” I ducked as another dishcloth came my way. “Will you stop with the dishcloths?”

“Only when you stop with the arrogance, Mr Rock Star Ego.”

“Fair do’s.”

After a while, Jack came down and helped us finish off, then we went through to the living room while Rosie got the dress down from the guest room, which they’d temporarily turned into a little workroom for while they were making the dresses.

Jack and I sipped our beers and talked idly. After about ten minutes, we started to worry. We went upstairs to find Rosie hyperventilating in the guest room.

Jack ran over and put his arm around her shoulders, and I grabbed a paper bag from one of the drawers.

“Sweetie, what’s wrong?”

She breathed in and out a couple of times, then turned to look at us.

“Well, there is a teeny-tiny chance that I may have mislaid the dress.”