Featherless Bird

chapter 3

Carolyn had no idea how long she stayed in that room. She occupied herself by looking at the first snow of the year falling down, having regularly breakdowns and trying to think of anything except reality and her urge to urinate.

She looked up as the sky began to darken, looking for stars. She realized that she no idea what day it was. She could have been asleep for two weeks and there was no way of knowing.

Carolyn started wondering if they were searching for her, she wondered if anyone knew she was missing yet. Chances were that Ellie would be busy with Jake, or whatever his name was, for a while. And Albert’s ego would be too hurt to go and see her for some time, and her family never talked to her anyways, except maybe her baby sister Danielle.

Suddenly, she heard the door creak open, and she jumped up before scattering off to a corner. She didn't know how Wade would act toward her, so she thought it better to be cautious.

"Dinner's ready. Get a move on." He said to her quickly and sternly before leaving as she heard a beeping noise. She stood there for a minute, not really sure what to do.

But finally, her stomach and bladder got the best of her and she walked out of the room to look around. She was obviously upstairs since there was a wooden staircase opposite of the room. She stood in a hallway with two rooms on the left, one door on the right and one at the end, all of the doors closed. Carolyn didn't dare open any of them to check it they were a bathroom, and she painfully made her way downstairs, her legs feeling as if they were going to drop her any second.

When she arrived downstairs, there was a small living room type of thing with a lousy sofa and TV. Carolyn ignored this before making her way towards the scent of food, where she knew Wade must be.

She was clearly right, because he was standing there, stirring something while whistling. Carolyn whimpered softly, she didn't want to talk to this man, she really didn't. "Um, where's the bathroom?" She asked, her voice raspy from the lack of talking.

Wade turned around and smirked at her, his wooden spoon in mid-air, dripping sauce. "Second door on the right."

She didn't thank him, which was something very odd for her. She was extremely polite, usually, but with this man, even her usual habits didn't come into play. She practically ran to the bathroom, her bladder threatening to let go any second.

When Carolyn arrived back into the kitchen, two plates were on the table, with gross looking spaghetti sitting in it. She made an involuntary face, and that resulted in Wade grabbing her roughly and forcing her into a chair. She didn't want to eat, it seemed wrong to eat something her captor gave her, but mother nature won again, and she ate the first bite slowly, not exactly sure whether there would be drugs or poison in it.

"I didn't put anything in it, okay?" He grumbled. "If you're going to eat every bite like that I can just give you nothing and let you starve."

This made Carolyn eat her supper without any emotion on her face, not exactly knowing if Wade would snap at her again or not. She hated people snapping at her, and it surely didn't help that this man would seriously hurt her.

As she finished eating, she inspected the kitchen. It was small and dingy, grease stains on the counter and some unwashed plates in the sink. Wade took the plates and started washing them. He didn't speak to Carolyn as she sat there, unsure of what to do next.

“Nice house.” She said finally, the awkwardness finally forcing her to say something, even though she didn’t really mean it. In all honesty, it had only slipped out as she saw that Wade didn't look too angry at the moment.

“Bullshit." He said. "It’s crap. It’s better than your place, though.” Carolyn looked at him in shock and anger, was he some sort of stalker?

“Did you stalk me?” She asked, unable to resist the question that had been burning on her tongue. Wade let out a laugh before shaking his head.

“Not really. I only wanted to know where you lived and if you lived with someone or not. Chances are that no one will know that you’re gone until a fair deal of time. It’ll just make things quieter and easier.”

Carolyn's eyes began to tickle with fresh tears, but she refused to let them fall in front of him. He shouldn't have the luxury to see her cry. But the truth hit her hard, all that he said was true, and was only echoing what she had been thinking all day.

"But, why?" She asked, deciding that he seemed in a fairly good mood and that this would be a good time to ask questions.

"Why?" He let out a sort of animal-like laugh. "Why because I was bored and lonely. Plus, you hated it there, I'm practically doing you a favor."

"A favor?!" She cried out, outraged. "I didn't hate it there! You don't know me!" That's when Wade turned around with a bizarre look in his eyes.

"No? I think I know you better than you do yourself. You didn't like it there. You thought you did, but even you were starting to have doubts about it. Am I wrong?" Carolyn glared at him, mad that he was right, yet again. She had been thinking of moving back to Canada, but it's not like she would ever admit it.

"I'm right, I can see it in your eyes. You thought London was going to be a great new adventure and that everything would go just swell. That you would make a dozen of friends, you'd get a boyfriend, a perfect job. That it would change your personality completely."

"You have no idea who I am! Don't pretend like you do!"

Carolyn, loath seething through her veins slammed her fist against the table, making it wobble shakily. Wade stared at her for a moment, and a small smirk growing on his lips once more. Carolyn's eyes grew wide as she realized her fatal mistake.

And with that, she ran away from him, not knowing if he was following her or not. She climbed up the stairs, but before she could make it to the top, a hand wrapped around her ankle, making her miss her step and fall.

A loud crack resonated as her arm collided with the wood and she cried out, but Wade didn't seem to care. He picked her up like she weighted a feather and made his way to the room that she had been locked in all day.

Carolyn thrashed and screamed but nothing seemed to make the man falter or flinch. He carried her to her room and threw her against the wall. She sunk to the floor, stunned by his harsh actions. She looked at him through tear filled eyes.

"I don't want to hear a sound out of you tonight, or I'll come." And with that, the scene from the morning almost reenacted as Wade walked out, locking the door behind him and leaving the poor girl all alone in the dark.
♠ ♠ ♠
<333