Status: Done

Locks and Curls

The Poem

The phone rang, I picked it up and laid belly-first on my bed (releasing my infernal lock of hair once more), my feet curled together in a girly fashion.
“Hey Eric, How are you?” I asked, tucking my lock behind my ear.
“Great, I was working on a poem, actually.” He replied. I could hear his blush, even through the phone.
“Well, I’d prefer it to be in person. Can we meet somewhere?” he asked.
I wondered what could be so special about a poem. “Alright then, Where?”
“I was thinking the garden. It is close to you and I can take my bike up there nice and quick!”
“Ok, meet you there.” I hung up the phone to see Tam looking at me with a snicker. I gave her a frigid look, she couldn’t help but laugh when I told her me and Eric could be just friends.
“That’s not what he wants.” She told me.
“Well that is what is going to happen and he is just going to have to deal with it.” I said dismissingly.

~}i{~

The walk to the garden was fast, it was close by. I sat at our ‘meeting bench’ as Eric liked to call it. I heard him come and he smiled, I liked it when he smiled.
“Hello.” He said.
“Hello.” I echoed in reply, much more quiet them him.
He sat beside me, our arms were touching and it gave me Goosebumps.
He held my hand and looked at me in the eyes as he read me a poem.
“Like an angel, like a dove,
Listen to a call of love.
I never heard a song so sweet,
That echoed through walls so deep.
I’ll never let you pass me by,
If I can hold you if you cry,
If I can be there in times of hard
If you let me hear you heart.
If you let me fill you with great glee,
Carrie please be with me.”
I was taken with surprise when he said the last sentence and I removed my hand from his and cried. This took him by surprise.
“What is wrong?” he asked.
“Eric, I... I can’t be with you.” I cried, sobbing loudly.
“Why, You know how you feel, how we feel.” He asked with his face full of hurt.
“Eric, don’t! I... It is not that simple!” I bawled, getting up and running away. I couldn’t do it, I just couldn’t!

~}i{~

If my phone would have rang I wouldn’t have answered it, but it didn’t. I guess he hated me too much. Luckily, Tam is such a good friend when I told her what happened she looked genuinely sorry and gave me a much needed hug.
I spent days in bed, not getting dressed except for meals. Tam encouraged me to go out but I refused. I didn’t want to see him.
I forgot about writing my mom a letter and she called me, furious with me. I told her I was fine, just busy. A complete lie but it seemed to satisfy her.

~}i{~

It has been nearly a week, Miss. Coure announced today that the last house was arriving tomorrow and class would begin next week. I should be glad, but I am not.

~}i{~

A day before the first day of class I decided to sneak out to the garden after curfew. I snuck past Miss. Coure and headed out to the garden.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next few chapters will go back a few weeks into Eric's point of view. ;) should be fun!