Wherever the Road Leads Us To

Chapter 1

Gerard paced nervously around the couch in the living room. He could hear the horrible hacking coughs coming from the bedroom that him and Frank shared. Hundreds of ideas were floating in his mind, each outweighing the other. He finally got frustrated and threw his hands in the air. “Fuck this,” he muttered to himself. He sprinted toward the bedroom and slammed the door behind him.

Frank jumped from his spot on the bed. He was shaking head to toe, despite wearing a hoodie and being under numerous thick blankets. He had a sad look on his face and his eyes were blank. “What the hell Gerard?” He asked.

Gerard gave a shaky laugh and sat next to Frank on the bed. He took the blankets off of his boyfriend and Gerard ran his hand down Frank’s short legs. “Do you trust me Frankie?”

“With my life.”

“Good.”

Frank raised an eyebrow and sniffled. “What is this leading up to Gerard?”

Gerard made an odd lunge toward Frank. He wrapped his arms around Frank’s small frame and held on to him tightly. “Let’s run away together Frankie,” he whispered in Frank’s ear. “Just me and you. Nobody else to bother us ever again.”

Frank looked deep into Gerard’s hazel eyes and let out a hollow laugh. He ran his hand through Gerard’s recently cut black hair and began softly stroking it. “Do you really want to do that?”

Gerard nodded his head. “More than anything. I just want it to be you and me.”

The younger man let out a cough. “The things I do for you Gerard.”

“I take that as a yes?”

“Yeah, yeah. If you want to pack my stuff for me, feel free too,” Frank said as Gerard climbed off of him and did some sort of awkward victory dance. “And grab all the shit in the medication cabinet.”

“Got it Frankie!” Gerard yelled as he ran into the bathroom to pack up all the necessities.

------

After about twenty minutes of Gerard frantically running around the small apartment grabbing and throwing random objects in the duffel bags, he was finally done. He walked back into the bedroom with Frank and knelt down next to the bed. “How are you feeling?” He asked sympathetically while moving Frank’s stray hair from his eyes.

Frank mumbled a few incoherent words. He clutched his stomach and squinted his eyes in pain. “Ugh. I feel like shit.”

“You look like it too,” Gerard replied with a devilish grin.

“If I wasn’t sick,” Frank said, “I think that little comment would deserve a smack on the head.”

“Which head?”

“Eww!”

Gerard laughed. “But seriously, Frank. You’re going to have to get up now. You’ve been lying on the bed for the past week. It’s time to get up baby. I’ve already put all our stuff in the car. I also turned in our key to the landlord. If we’re going to be leave then there will be no turning back.”

“Always the romantic,” Frank whispered into the pillow. He flipped onto his back and stretched his arms out. “Carry me to the car?” He pouted with his puppy dog eyes. He had one lip poked out and his hair innocently flipped back over his eyes.

Gerard couldn’t suppress the warm feeling that bubbled in his stomach and that was escaping to explode. “Sure thing baby.” He grabbed the blanket around Frank and wrapped him in it before scooping him bridal style into his arms.

“Can you do it?” Frank mumbled into Gerard’s shoulder.

“Yeah Frankie. Don’t you worry. Just go back to sleep.” Gerard softly cooed.

Frank fidgeted around. “I’ll go back to sleep when we’re in the car and on the road.”
------

After Gerard had made it safely down the stairs and into the parking lot, he opened up the passenger’s seat and delicately placed Frank into the seat. He gave him a quick kiss on the forehead before slamming the door shut. Gerard then walked over to the driver’s side and climbed in. He put the key in and waited for the car to ignite. After a minute or so, all the lights came on and the engine revved. Gerard smiled as he put his left hand on the steering wheel. He ruffled Frank’s hair with his free hand and laughed.

“Are you ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Frank replied back unenthusiastically. “Wait a sec. You never did tell me where we were going.”

Gerard shrugged. “Wherever the road leads us too.”

And with those last six words, Gerard pulled the driving stick and off they went.