Wherever the Road Leads Us To

Chapter 2

“Look at the stars.”

Gerard quietly obeyed Frank and looked out the window and let out a gasp. The stars were glistening across the black skies, creating such a vivid contrast. It was like a sign to the two lost boys who were running away from their problems.

Or maybe it was a warning.

Frank’s repetitive coughing caught Gerard’s attention. He kept his eyes on the road but let one hand stray to Frank’s forehead. He moved the shaggy bangs and let his fingers rest their for a few seconds before extracting them. “Oh Frank.”

“What?” Frank asked warily. “I know I’m sick. You don’t have to remind me of that.”

“You’re burning it baby. I knew it wasn’t great, but I didn’t think it was that bad.”

Frank didn’t say anything. Instead, he threw the thick blanket over his head and let the seat back. Stretching out his limbs, he took the blanket off his head and tossed it over his short legs. “You shouldn’t be looking at me, Gerard. You’re driving. It’s not safe.”

Gerard sighed. “I just want to make sure you’re okay. You’ve been sick these last couple of days and I’m worried about you.”

“Not to worried to take a fucking road trip to nowhere,” Frank grumbled.

Gerard chose not to answer. He could see why Frank was getting a little irritated. They had been on the road for over four hours without stopping. Being cooped up in a car was not comfortable, especially if you were pretty much coughing up your lungs. Gerard shook his head and gripped the steering wheel tightly with both hands. “Don’t start saying stuff you’ll regret later on.”

“Then maybe I shouldn’t say anything at all,” Frank snapped back coldly.

“I think that would be best.”
----

Gerard pulled into an empty parking lot and let the engine stalled. He pulled the keys out and unbuckled his seat belt. He turned around in seat and looked at Frank.

Frank was curled up in the backseat. Somewhere between the last two hours, he raised his seat back up and left it for the backseat. He had took the blanket back there with him and he was tucked underneath it. Being so small, the blanket covered his whole body and there was even extra space to move around freely.

Gerard couldn’t bring himself to wake Frank up. It was like watching an angel sleep.

Gerard opened up his door and walked out. He locked the door, even though there was nobody around in view, and walked into the shabby motel. The lights were dimmed and the sign was flickering on and off. Frowning, Gerard opened the door and walked in. Lucky for him, there was a manager standing there in an ungodly time in the night.

“Can I help you?” the man asked in a monotone voice.

“Urm, yeah. I need a room for two.”

“For how long?”

Gerard bit his bottom lip and thought for a second. “For a week.”

The man simply nodded his head and told Gerard the price. Gerard took out his wallet and paid the man. In return, he got keys to the room that him and Frank were going to stay in. He told the man thank you before walking back out to the car. Gerard got back into the car and started talking. “Frankie, baby, you need to wake up.”

Frank rolled around but didn’t wake up.

“Come on,” Gerard urged on. He softly touched Frank’s face and ran his thumb along the younger man’s jawbone.

Frank began stirring more. He opened his eyes and looked around. “Where are we?”

Gerard smiled. “We’re at the motel now.”

Frank didn’t say anything. He simply sat up and wrapped his arms around Gerard. “Carry me?”

“Of course baby.”

Gerard quickly scooped Frank into his arms and took him into the cheap motel. He found their room with ease and opened the door. “Welcome to your home for the next week,” he said softly.

Frank didn’t say anything. He had already passed out in Gerard’s arms.