Status: complete

A Rock Prince with a Vengeance

The Funeral

It has been exactly one week since Brian's death, and it's still hitting me hard. Sure, everyone was grieving over the loss of their best friends, but he was more than that to me, he was my daughter's father.

Ever since I came home, I haven't felt normal. I wanted to climb into a ditch and live in isolation for the rest of my live. I wasn't even stable enough to take care of Annie. Her facial features are almost identical to Brian's, and it hurts.

Today was his funeral. While everyone was getting ready downstairs, I was sulking in my room. I didn't want to go.

"Briony, you need to come, for the sake of Annie," Zacky said, trying to comfort me.

"I can't," I mumbled into my pillow.

"Trust me, I don't want to either, but we need to pay our respects. Why won't you come?" He asked.

"Because this is all my fault! If you retrace the steps, his death leads directly to me! If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't of gotten drunk, drive to the hospital, and steer off the side of the road! It's all my fault!" I went into a crying fit.

"No, it's not. I don't want to say it, but it's true: it was his fault. He decided to get behind the wheel intoxicated. Now I need you to listen. You need to come to the funeral, for the sake of Annie. This is the only chance she'll ever get to see her father."

"Fine."

I got up and got ready. If I never had Annie, I would be in a much worse state of mind. Even though I couldn't stand being around her, she was the only reason I was here, and that was good enough for me.

On the way to the funeral home, everyone was too depressed to talk. No one wants to plan a funeral for their unexpectedly deceased friend, and then have to host it for hours.

When we arrived to Mary's Funeral Home, we were an empty room with chairs and Brian's casket. We had him cremated and had his ashes stored. Val went to talk with the manager on how everything's going to play out while everyone sat down in the front row of the chairs. We were here to watch people say their final goodbyes.

*** 4 hours later***

Four hours have passed. I was reluctantly surprised on how many people showed up. Hundred of his friends and fans came. I shocked to see how many fans came. I met fans from all over the world. They told us stories on how their band was inspired by Avenged Sevenfold or how some were inspired to play guitar just because of Brian. It was touching.

After all the fans left, only us and his friends stayed for the funeral.

"We gather here today to celebrate the short life of Brian Elwin Haner Jr., who tragically died in a car crash last Saturday evening. We'll now take a few volunteers to talk about the memories they shared with Brian." The pastor began the ceremony.

Being the brave man he is, Jimmy went up first.

"Hello, my name is Jimmy. Brian has been one of my best friends for God knows how long. Do I ever regret meeting him? Hell no. He was one of the greatest guys I have ever met. Sure, he did somethings that none of us liked, but that didn't stop us from starting a band, Avenged Sevenfold. Like the men in front of me, I love having him in the band. I'm glad I could be apart of his life and do incredible things like tour the country, make incredible music, inspiring people, and most importantly, just having fun. Brian, if you're listening, I want to thank you for some of the best years of my life. Goodbye, Brian," Jimmy cried at the last sentence, as well as everyone else.

After Jimmy's eulogy, one by one people began pouring their memories. There were laughs, there was some crying.

Once seven o'clock rolled around, the funeral was over. We were the last ones to say goodbye to Brian. I told everyone to wait for Annie and I into the car. I wanted to say my intimate goodbye alone.

"Hey Brian, it's me, Bri. Funny thing, you were the first to give me that nickname. I miss you dearly, and so does Annie." I looked down at Annie. She was all laughs and smiles. I wish she was older so she could fully understand the situation.

"This is our daughter, Annabelle Marie, but I call her Annie. I wish you were there to see her. She's a real cutie pie, and looks exactly like you. Even though you may not be with us anymore, I know you're watching over her in heaven and you'll be one of the best fathers up there."

I leaned over the casket and kissed his forehead. As I walked out, I somehow felt completely better, and had a feeling that things were going to change for the better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow! 2 updates in about two hours. New personal record for me.

Guys, I'm really sad. Today when I logged into facebook, I found out that The Academy Is broke up :'( They were one of my favorite bands.

Anywho, there are about 2 chapters left in this story, and if I stop procrastinating and write this week, I will finish this story by next Saturday. No worries though, I will have a new story posted immediately once I finish this. Hope you enjoyed!