Status: Second Main Story; Very slowly Active

Now It's My Time to Strike Back

Chapter 29

The following Monday approached marking it the first week of August, school starting earlier than usual for the year.

Nick and I still hadn’t spoken to each other since we argued the night of my date with Jake causing me to have mixed feelings altogether.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted Nick or if I wanted to let him go. As for Jake, he came to see me every day, but he knew something had happened between Nick and me, but I still didn’t tell him.

I was beginning to think I was going to stay stupid for the rest of the year as I packed my backpack for the third time that morning.

It was currently 7 am and I was wide awake. Nick was awake as well, but he was currently occupying the bathroom.

My phone beeped, signaling I’d received a text more than likely from Mel. I smiled in satisfaction seeing I was right.

Having fun? T_T

A light laugh escaped me before I replied quickly back to her.

It’s never fun not being on good terms with someone and you have to see them every day. T_T

I hit the send button just as another text came through.

Rose, what’s going on between you and Nick? He’s been walking around campus over the past couple of days by himself. I even saw him in the Lounge writing.

I sighed before answering Jake.

We had a disagreement on Friday and he’s upset about it.

Mel’s text came back shortly after I sent my response to Jake.

Well, he IS your roommate. Do you think you should ask for a room change from Ms. T?

My fingers went typing as fast as lightning as I responded feverishly to her.

No. Changing rooms would be the immature thing to do. If he’s not going to talk to me over something petty like this, then so be it.

Again, Jake’s text came through.

And just what was this disagreement about? He was upset that I kissed you?

I knew it was a guess, but he was partially accurate. I typed quickly as I responded to him as well.

Yes, but there’s more to that. I don’t think I should tell you. I don’t want either of you to know what’s been said about the other.

I’d decided that just the previous Friday after Nick walked out. There was no point telling Nick’s business to Jake and vice versa especially since they both have huge egos.

Mel’s final text for the morning came through after I sent my response to Jake.

I guess you’re right, but if you have classes with him again what are you gonna do?

I hesitated for a long minute or two before responding to her. I hadn’t thought about that at all.

Idk. Either way I’ll have to deal with being around him.

I tossed my phone into my messenger bag before I grabbed my uniform.

Just as I picked it out, Nick walked out of the bathroom, walking straight to his side of the room as he rechecked his materials.

I walked to my side, not bothering to speak to him expecting him to do the same, but his voice caught me off guard.

“Have a good first day,” he mumbled before grabbing his things, then exited out of the dorm.

I blinked several times before I remembered I still had to get ready. I didn’t bother going into the bathroom this time, deciding to change out in the open next to my bed. With each article of clothing I put on, my mind raced even more.

What if Mel was right? What if Nick and I do end up having classes together again this year? A sigh escaped me at the very thought of it.

Once I finished putting on my shoes, I went in the bathroom to brush my teeth as well as fix my hair. I styled it into a tight, messy bun before I grabbed my things, following Nick’s footsteps once more.



Once I reached the bottom of the staircase, I was surprised to see Jake standing there waiting for me. It took my mind a few seconds to register he must have been there since he started texting me.

He looked up and saw me as I started to approach him, a small smile on his lips. I couldn’t help but smile back at him, a sigh escaping me.

“What’s wrong?” he asked in a concerned tone.

“Nothing. It’s just everything,” I admitted.

“Like what?” he asked.

“Jake, there are some things I can’t tell you because I have to figure this out on my own. I’m going to be 18 in a few months so I have to start taking responsibility for my actions,” I said in a firm tone.

“I understand that, Rose,” he began, wrapping an arm around my shoulder, “but until that time which is a few months away, you should enjoy yourself.”

His response surprised me. Mel had told me the same thing just a week previously for my date with him. I stared at him, my head slightly tilting to the side as I thought of the coincidence and how care-free Jake was compared to Nick.

His smile made me smile as I continued to wonder how in the world a guy like this ever liked me and never found a decent girlfriend of his own causing my cheeks to burn as my smile became full. I laughed the matter away, finding myself surprisingly comfortable in his arms all of a sudden.

Maybe I should forget about Nick. Maybe I should give Jake a chance. If I had to have any time to spend my senior year, I suppose it would have to be with Jake.

But just as I began thinking anything of the sort, Mel’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Hey, Rosie! Jake!” she exclaimed in a happy tone, shooting me a secret look as her eyes trailed to Jake’s arm on my shoulder.

I hadn’t realized it, but we’d reached the dorm building Mel and I were in the previous school year and were on the first floor where Mel stood just as Jake did for me.

“Hey, Melanie. How’d you sleep?” Jake asked politely.

“I slept fantastic! Joe, Kevin, and the gang are going to come this Friday for Nick’s first baseball game!” she said excitedly, but I knew she hated mentioning Nick.

“That’s great! At least you’ll be able to see him,” Jake replied in an honest tone as we began our walk to the Dorm Advisory building.

“H-his first game?” I asked nervously, not knowing about the matter.

“Yeah. I thought Nick would have told you that at least,” Jake said in confusion, removing his arm from my shoulder as we reached the building seeing the very person we talked about.

His eyes met Mel’s first, then Jake’s, and finally mine. I could see the emotions swimming in his dark brown pools, but I walked towards the line, ignoring his questioning eyes.

I couldn’t keep worrying about him. I just couldn’t.

But somehow, even after I received my schedule and walked back to the others to compare, I couldn’t get him out of my head, especially not when I was shocked to see him standing with Mel and Jake.

I guess old habits die hard, huh? Once I reached them, he spoke.

“I’m only here to compare schedules just like we did last year,” he said, surprising me altogether.

“You didn’t have to-,” I began, but he cut across me.

“I know I didn’t. I just had to know if we as a group have any classes together so I can make the proper arrangements,” he replied in a slightly cold tone.

Somehow, though, his words didn’t bother me.

“Alright. Ready?” Mel asked as my heartbeat increased dramatically.

I glanced at the people around me hoping against hope that I wouldn’t get screwed over this year, but at the exact moment we placed our papers down for the four of us to see, I knew then that more drama was to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
New update!

The next update will be next week so stay tuned!

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe!