Status: Second Main Story; Very slowly Active

Now It's My Time to Strike Back

Chapter 32

-Morning of first day of school-

A week. A whole damn week had passed since I’d been distancing myself more and more from Rose. With each day, that jackass, Jake came and spent a few hours with Rose trying to keep her entertained, but I’d barely noticed.

I’d made sure I spent everyday out of the dorm, but each time I did so, I ended up at our tree or the lounge. I’d become accustomed to bringing a spiral notebook and pen with me since I’d become inspired to finish the song I never finished over the summer; the same song Rose helped me write.

Little did she know, though the song was about her, but I couldn’t finish it until now. I even wrote another song, but I didn’t know when I was going to perform that one. Currently, however, I was in the bathroom getting ready for our first day of class feeling guilt overcome me as I thought about how I was acting.

I’d been having relapses like this daily but forced myself not to feel or even show how I felt around anyone. The only person who knew everything was Joe, but I knew I couldn’t rely on him forever. I needed a friend here at school to talk to, but who?

My mind raced as it landed on one person: Melanie. Though she was Rose’s best friend, she was my friend, too, I hope. I just hope she’d listen to me. I exited the bathroom seeing Rose picking out her uniform by our closet.

I had to move my brick-like feet to my bed pretending to recheck my backpack for materials while I watched her out of the corner of my eye even catching a few glances.

Her hair was loose and messy and she was still in her pajamas. My eyes trailed her figure for a few seconds, feeling a blush creep to my cheeks before I grabbed my bag, unable to take the silence between us.

“Have a good first day,” I said before exiting out of the room without a backward glance.

Have a good first day? Who was I supposed to be? Her father? That was stupid of me to say.

Humiliation washed over me as I took the four stair cases down to the first floor, only to see Jake standing there.

He looked up the same time I made it to the top of the steps of the lowest case and our eyes locked.

I continued my momentarily stopped pace as though I hadn’t seen him, but once I reached him, he spoke, catching me off guard.

“What’s going on between you and Rose? Are you guys having problems?” he asked.

I gave him a hard look, clenching my jaw as anger filled me. Did he seriously just ask that when he knows I don’t want to talk to him? He was my enemy for crying out loud!

“What?” I asked incredulously.

“Are you and Rose having problems? She won’t tell me if you two are, but I’m not stupid,” he answered coolly, folding his arms across his chest.

A smirk formed on my lips at how proud I was at Rose. She didn’t tell Jake what happened that night after their date while she was awake. Good.

“You know what, don’t worry about that. It’s nothing, alright?” I said being vague. Again, I began my walk towards the Dorm building when he stopped me, holding an outstretched arm, blocking my path.

“Don’t talk to me like that. I said I’m not dumb, Nick. Tell me what’s going on,” he said in a threatening tone, but it didn’t bother me.

“Like I said, Jake, it’s nothing,” I said coldly, moving his arm out of the way with enough force.

I continued my path, Jake deciding not to cross me again. A deep sigh escaped me as I passed the co-ed building, reaching the normal ones in minutes. Once I reached the staircase, I saw Mel already walking down them making my job easier.

“Mel,” I said, gaining her attention.

“Nick, hey!” she said in an excited tone.

“Hey, Mel. Can I talk to you?” I asked.

She rolled her eyes causing me to get nervous. Could she read me already?

“Jeez, Nick. You and Rose need therapists,” she said folding her arms across her chest.

I rolled my own eyes this time, ignoring the smirk that formed on her lips before she spoke again.

“But go ahead. I’m listening,” she said sighing lightly afterwards.

I explained everything that I’d held back since December of last year, not holding back on details or true feelings as to how I felt or feel now.

When I was finished, she stood open-mouthed at me before she burst out laughing. Yes, I said laughing.

“W-what’s so funny?” I asked nervously.

“You are! You’re such an idiot!” she exclaimed, changing her humor to anger.

“How am I an idiot?” I asked defensively.

“OK, you can’t say you love or are in love with Rose after everything you’ve done to her. That’s not love. Why don’t you try taking my advice, OK?” she asked, gaining my full attention. I nodded my head feverishly in return.

“Try letting Rose move on. If things don’t work out between she and Jake on their own without any outside forces, and if she wants to be with you even then, then go after her. You can’t keep chasing after Rose because you’re not doing anything but making things harder for her,” she said, causing my heart to shatter a little.

“I’m not saying this just to you. I’ve told Rose this as well. The two of you can’t be in a relationship in which you’re madly in love with one another until you’ve been apart with other people and then get together. We as humans don’t realize what we have until we’ve lost it. Rose realized this when you broke up with her for Vic and now you’re experiencing it since Rose and Jake are testing the waters,” she began, her words making sense in my mind.

“I’m not saying don’t love Rose or to even give up entirely, but just wait, OK? Only when Rose tells you things between you two will never work and she doesn’t want to be with you is when it’ll all be over. Trust me. It’s not an easy thing to do or even say,” she said, causing me to laugh, but I stopped as a horrible thought crossed my mind.

“But what if Rose chooses Jake? And what about the songs I wrote?” I asked frantically.

“Nick, Nick. If Rose chooses Jake, then worry about that when it comes, until then just relax. Don’t date anyone if you don’t want to, but don’t monitor Rose, either. And about your songs, perform them if you want. Just like Rose, music is you guys personal escape. It can’t be avoided,” she concluded.

“Alright, well, I’m gonna head to the advisory building. See you later. Oh! And thanks for the advice, Mel!” I said in a slightly cheerful tone.

“Glad I could help! See you later, Nick!” she called.

That was a lot to swallow. Once I reached the advisory building, a sigh escaped me as I got in line to get my schedule, Mel’s words going through me once more.

”If Rose chooses Jake, then worry about that when it comes, until then just relax.”

The real question was could I actually do that?



A few minutes later, after rereading my schedule numerous time and praying repeatedly, Mel, Rose, and Jake appeared, but what I saw before they entered pissed me off.

Jake’s arm was on Rose’s shoulder as though they were dating. What the hell?

My eyes met the trio’s and I saw the different emotions in them. Mel’s held sympathy, while Jake’s held slight fear, but more pride than anything. Lastly, my eyes landed on Rose; my beautiful Rose. Her eyes were full of different emotions, but I could tell it was awkward for her.

She walked to her corresponding line as did Jake and Mel. I froze. I didn’t know what to do. Grudgingly after I saw Mel beckon to me to join them after she got her schedule, I walked over just to see Jake doing the same.

We glared at one another, but didn’t say a word. Mel, however, did speak.

“Jeez, guys. At least pretend you’re not going to bite each other’s heads off!” she scolded quietly.

I rolled my eyes at her just as a shocked Rose joined us. I decided to speak to her for the second time that morning.

“I’m only here to compare schedules just like we did last year,” I got out trying not to choke at her outfit.

She was beautiful to say the least.

“You didn’t have to-,” she began, but I cut across her.

“I know I didn’t. I just had to know if we as a group have any classes together so I can make the proper arrangements,” I said in a slightly cold tone.

I scolded myself mentally at doing so.

“Alright. Ready?” Mel asked, my heartbeat increasing dramatically due to the tension between the four of us.

I glanced at the people around me hoping fate wouldn’t screw me over this time. I needed to be with Rose, but I was trying my hardest to stay away from her. Unfortunately, just as I thought things couldn’t get any worse, they did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry the update is really late. :(

What do you guys think of Nick's thoughts? Are they justified or not?

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.