Status: Second Main Story; Very slowly Active

Now It's My Time to Strike Back

Chapter 9

It was finally the next morning, the same day Nick, Vic, and I were heading back to New Preston and even though it’d only been a few hours, I was already sick of them more than I already was. Vic kept trying to make out with Nick every so often and if there wasn’t kissing involved, they’d just cuddle. Ugh. It made me sick. I sighed as I laid my head on my chair on the plane, thinking of the events from the day before as I turned up the music, trying desperately to ignore the happy couple next to me.

Mel followed me up the stairs after I darted up them, shutting the door behind the both of us, ready to interrogate me.

“OK, what happened? You are a horrible liar, by the way”, she said, following me as I sat on my bed.

I explained to her everything that happened, but didn’t tell her what went through my mind in the car.

“You miss Nick, don’t you?” she asked, staring into my eyes, them practically demanding that I answer her truthfully.

“I don’t miss him. I miss what we had”, I answered truthfully.

“Is it because he’s happy with Vic?” she asked reluctantly.

I nodded, then shook my head.

“It doesn’t matter about who it is. I just-had a relapse is all”, I said, being cryptic.

Mel sighed before speaking.

“Rosie, do you honestly believe you’ll be able to handle being around them until I get there?" she asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, unable to give her an honest answer.


I knew I had no choice but to deal with them, but Mel’s question clouded my thoughts more than anything.

“Do you honestly believe you’ll be able to handle being around them until I get there?”

I didn’t know. I hoped more than anything that I’d be able to keep my sanity, but even as I sat on the plane, I knew that was a fleeting hope.



When we arrived at the campus, a sigh of contentment escaped my mouth. I was happy to be back. I carried my two suitcases and bags on my own as Nick carried his and Vic’s. We headed to the Dorm Advisory Building together. Once again, I took in our appearances. I was in this while Nick was in this. And Vic was in this.

I held the door open for the other two, getting a “thanks” from Vic while Nick said “thank you” before entering, myself.

The shining, tile floors were the same as they always were as were the blue chairs that were around the room, neatly organized into rows starting from the door and ending at the desk on the right side of the room to the short hallway on the left.

Once again, the room was empty, as expected. I didn’t bother grabbing a clipboard or form and neither did Vic or Nick. I had faith that Mrs. Thorne, our principal and cheerleading coach had everything straightened out for me.

Instead, I placed my things down, then walked to the desk, ringing the small bell that always rested there. A light ding echoed throughout the room and soon enough, the sound of heels filled the room.

Mrs. Thorne entered the room in jean shorts, a white t-shirt, and low sandal heels. Her hair was in a high ponytail compared to her usual serious, business-like attire. Vic stood open-mouth as did Nick, but I smiled at her.

It was pretty funny watching her reaction as she stared with a brow raised at the other two, but she straightened her composure, smiling brightly before speaking.

“Hey, guys. Victoria, Nick, Rose, how have you been?” she asked gently.

“Fantastic!” Vic answered enthusiastically.

“Good”, Nick answered. I didn’t want to answer, but did anyway.

“I’ve been OK”, I answered truthfully.

“Well, that’s good. I’m assuming the three of you are here to find out where your dorms will be and what your schedules are going to look like, correct?” Mrs. Thorne asked with a smirk.

We nodded in agreement. She sighed, before speaking again.

“Well, right this way. I’ll start off with Vic first. Will that be alright?” she asked.

Nick and I nodded in agreement, but I felt my stomach begin tying itself in knots.

“Well, I’ll be back in a bit, Nicky”, she said sweetly, making me sick to my stomach.

“Alright, Vic”, he answered, expecting her to leave, but she didn’t. She grabbed him, embraced him quickly, and then kissed him briefly.

I turned from them, walking back to my suitcases. A few moments later, Nick sat down next to me as well, sighing deeply.

I grabbed my MP3 player out of one of my bags, getting ready to drown everything and everyone out with music when he spoke.

“I’m sorry”, he said solemnly, but I didn’t respond to him.

I waited for it to turn on, wanting desperately for my music to start, but it didn’t. I tried clicking buttons knowing that it wouldn’t help.

“About Vic, I know she can be a bit affectionate”, he began.

The “MUSIC” option appeared on my MP3 player, and I stared at the folders of music I had on it, trying to decide which genre of music I wanted to listen to. The usual “Rock” crossed my mind, so I selected it, deciding to choose the right song. Unfortunately, that meant that I could still hear Nick talking.

“I mean, it doesn’t bother you that she and I do that sometimes, does it?” he asked in a concerned tone, getting my attention.

I sighed deeply before responding.

“No, it doesn’t”, I said in a monotone, but my heart said otherwise.

“OK. I just wanted to make sure. I could ask Vic to tone it down a bit, though-”, he said, but I cut across him.

“Don’t worry about it. You guys are a couple. You should be able to kiss whenever you’d like”, I said, kicking myself mentally for saying something so stupid.

“That’s true, but I’m not that affectionate, as you already know”, he replied with a small laugh.

I didn’t smile. His response had ticked me off.

“W-was that supposed to be a joke?” I asked incredulously, but in a low tone. I wasn’t in the mood to yell today.

“I thought it would be-”, he began, but I cut across him again.

“Y-you’re such an idiot!” I exclaimed heatedly, finally finding the song I was looking for before blasting it in my ears as I inserted my blue earphones. The song was Attack by 30 Seconds to Mars.

It was soothing the anger that was brooding in my mind. I didn’t even want to hear his voice right now.

I guess Nick got the picture for about five seconds. That’s how long he waited before he pulled my earphones out of my ears, giving me a hard look.

“Rose, please talk to me”, he pleaded slightly.

I wrinkled my brows in anger and confusion, scoffing once more to mask my shock.

“Why should I? We’re just-”, I began, but he cut across me.

“-Friends, I know. I see what I said before wasn’t very smart of me to say, so, I’ll start over. My, what hot weather we’re having today”, he said playfully, saying the last statement in a British accent.

And just like that, my anger melted away and was replaced with laughter instead.

“It’s pretty damn hot, I would say”, I answered, laughing as I failed with my accent.

“Hm, I believe you’re right, Rosalina. Good, gosh! Did you pack enough sunblock with you?!” he exclaimed playfully, still in his awful accent, causing me to laugh harder.

“Your accent is awful!” I got out through my laughter. He smiled, then chuckled a little before he, too burst with laughter.

We were having a fit of laughter before we eventually stopped, the humor depleting slowly between us as Nick’s face was replaced slowly with a serious one.

“I’ve missed that”, he mumbled, causing me to stare at him. I’d heard him clearly, but I didn’t think he knew I did.

“Why?” I asked in a low tone. “My laughter is nothing special. I sound like Elmo”, I added, dumping on myself.

“Sort of. It’s cute, though”, he replied just as low as I did. I was slightly stunned for a moment.

My laughter was cute to him? When did this happen?

I raised a brow at him as he quickly laughed, shaking his head.

“Ah, forget I said that, OK? That had to have been awkward to hear, wasn’t it?” he asked, but I knew he meant what he said.

Nick wasn’t the type of person to say things just to make someone feel better or at least, he wasn’t like that to me.

“That was awkward, but it’s fine, I guess”, I admitted.

It was no harm, right? Nick only complimented on my laugh. It’s no big deal.

“Are you sure?” he asked, suddenly looking at me.

I nodded in return, running a hand through my hair. He opened his mouth to speak, but Vic’s voice cut across him.

“Nick, Ms. Thorne wants to see you next and then, Rose”, she said.

There was no smile on her face now and she looked like she wanted to blow up. Nick’s face snapped up at her as he looked from me to Vic and back again.

“I’ll be back, then”, he said to me, flashing a smile.

“Mkay”, I answered nonchalantly pretending like I was more interested in my MP3 player now, but I watched him slowly walk to Vic.

They hugged, her wrapping her arms around his neck as she went to kiss him, but he only pecked her lips lightly, surprising me altogether.

He went down the usual hall before Vic’s heels echoed towards me, a frown on her face.

“So, what did you and Nick talk about?” she asked blatantly.

Why the hell is she so interested in whatever Nick and I talk about?

“Nothing, really”, I answered casually, lying through my teeth.

“Oh, it was something, so, tell me, Rose. What did you and Nick talk about?” she asked in a threatening tone.

“Nothing”, I repeated, staring at her as though she lost her mind.

“I know it was something, so just tell me!” she exclaimed in an upset tone.

I sighed deeply before responding.

“Sounds like someone’s jealous”, I said in a cold tone. She quickly got the hint before she grabbed me, yanking me up by my arm.

“You’re damn right I’m jealous! I have every right to be! Did you not hear me when I told you that if you and Nick even seem like you’re possibly giving off I-miss-you signals, that I’ll make your life a living hell?” she asked, tightening her grip with the last question.

I did something I never expected I’d do; I pushed Vic as hard as I could off of me. She was not going to boss me around like a helpless child or like when we were younger. I was not afraid of her. I checked my now red arm, huffing quietly and angrily before I spoke.

“Don’t you ever grab me like that again or I’ll whoop your ass. I’m not trying to get Nick back. Like I said before, I’m not you, so take your jealous ass and go somewhere because I’m not putting up with your shit this year. I’m not the same girl I was 3 months ago. I’ve changed and I damn sure am not going to deal with any bullshit that you try to throw at me”, I said confidently, giving her a hard look.

“Whatever. Just-you know what I said”, she said before storming out of the building, leaving her things behind.

I sat back down in my seat, closing my eyes as I sighed, thinking everything over. What the hell got into me? Whatever it was, I liked it.

Suddenly, I thought of more words for my new song that’d fit perfect run through my mind. I thought of Vic and how everything was going between us so far. She was not going to push me around, not this time.

I found the memo pad I’d written the other pieces I had to my song from before and instead, wrote on the back the words I’d just thought of, a smile on my lips the entire time.

This was going to be a good one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Early update dedicated to blacktshirtndjeans!

Hey, guys. It's Lon3lyangel here. :)

I've decided since I'll be swamped over the next few weeks with my classes in college, I'll just post the next few chapters all in a few days. I hope that's alright with you guys.

I honestly enjoy writing this story so please don't be a silent reader. I'm writing Chapter 22 as we speak.

Currently, however, I don't know if I'll have time to write anything past that due to personal issues with school as well as other things that are going on in my life right now. I am however more dedicated to my readers, you guys more than anything so I will find a way to update this story regularly.

With that said, I cannot say the same about my other stories which are currently in a very slow progression. I'm having writer's block with those as well. Since this story is my main focus story, though, I'll have this one completed before the others, so don't lose hope if I don't update for a bit or something.

Anywho, with my rambling coming to an end, please don't forget to comment and subscribe.