No Soul

13

“Oh no, walk faster.” Sidney groaned to Max as they walked in downtown Pittsburgh.

“Why? What’s the – “

“Puppies!” Noah squealed, running to the front window of the pet show and pressing his face against it, causing several chocolate labs to run to the glass as well in excitement.

“Look, Daddy.” Emma pointed with her free hand as Sidney held on tightly to her other little hand. “Baby puppies.” She mumbled. She had since gotten over her fear of Brianna and Kris’ dog and now did not mind them in the least.

“Daddy, puppies!” Noah wailed, throwing his head back as he ran to the door of the shop.

“Noah, buddy, we’re not going in there! We’re going to the park, remember?” Sidney asked, knowing the battle had already been lost after Noah darted into the store behind a man carrying a birdcage. Sidney was enjoying one of his last few days of the fall with his children before their first home game and eventually his first away game the week after their home opener against the Red Wings.

“Daddy, I want a baby puppy.” Emma said softly as they followed Noah into the shop, causing Max to laugh and shake his head, knowing his teammate was done for.

“Emma we can’t get a puppy right now. Puppies are a lot of work and need lots of attention.” Sidney tried to rationalize with the three year old.

“I want a baby puppy.” She repeated just as softly as he swept her up into his arms, settling her on his hip. She was appropriately dressed for the beautiful fall day in a white and yellow checkered sundress and a pair of little brown cowboy boots that Jordan and his girlfriend Phoebe had gotten for her. Sidney had a hard time getting Noah to wear anything but his plethora of miniature sherseys.

Daddy! Doggies!” Noah wailed, gaining the attention of the only other person in the shop who was carefully scanning the fish tanks along the back wall.

“Noah, inside voice.” Sidney insisted, putting a finger up to his lips.

“Daddy, lookit the squidgy one.” Noah pointed down into one of the kennels to reveal a small english bulldog who could only have been a few weeks old. Max laughed at Noah’s word choice but Sidney frowned upon seeing the dog. It was a pretty cute puppy if he had to say so himself. Max noticed the look on his best friend’s face right away.

Mon ami, how would you take care of it? You can’t expect Brianna to take care of all three kids and a dog.” He insisted. “It’s not good to kennel dogs that little.” He added.

“He is pretty cute, huh?” Sidney asked as Emma squealed, reaching for the wrinkly little thing whose curly-cue tail was wagging excitedly at the two little children who were having the time of their lives petting his soft, pudgy rolls.

“Sid.” Max shook his head, silencing up when Emma threw him a tiny frown.

“You know... Vero really wants a dog.” Sidney mused, petting the roly-poly puppy who was thrilled to be garnering all the attention.

“So you’re going to buy her this one?” Max asked. Sidney was an adult, hell, he was a father, if he wanted to get his kids a dog, and he could do whatever he damn pleased.

“No, I’m going to get this one and then she can watch it for me.” Sidney insisted. Max shook his head as Emma and Noah erupted into squeals.

“Daddy!” Emma gasped, hugging him tightly. “He’s mine!” She giggled.

“No, no, no, he is yours and Noah’s.” He straightened them out. “Now tell Uncle Max some names while I go find someone who works here.” He sighed, running a hand through her hair and planting a kiss on her nose before standing up and walking off further into the store.

Ma petite fille, I think your father has jumped off the deep end.” Max sighed with a final shake of his head as the little bulldog began to assault Noah’s face with an onslaught of kisses.

It wasn’t long until the Crosby family plus Uncle Max were leaving the pet shop with a nameless, chubby puppy on a hot pink leash connected to a black collar. The two adults noticed the photographers in the distance, capturing the exciting moment, but thankfully, the twins were unaffected.

“Daddy, his name is Wrinkles.” Noah insisted.

“No, his name is Cutie Pie!” Emma added, making Noah frown.

“We can pick a good name when we get home and then get a good name tag for his collar.” Sidney said, holding the leash while Noah ‘helped’, laughing when the little bulldog would trip over his own stubby legs.

“Thank you, Daddy.” Emma smiled up at Sidney who blushed and gave her another kiss for safe measure.

“And that, mon ami is why you can’t say no.” Max grinned as he toted the carrier and one of the bags including all of the puppy’s needs. “I can’t believe you just bought a dog. It’s like I don’t even know you.” He teased.

“You and I both.” Sidney laughed.

“Have you talked to them much about the away schedule yet?” Max asked as they neared his SUV.

“A little, I think they know that Brianna is going to be around a lot more but I don’t think they understand the tradeoff.” Sidney shrugged. “We’ll have to have a sit-down and try to talk it out, still.” He added. Max nodded, grateful that he wouldn’t have to be there when Sidney explained to his children that he was going to be gone a lot from now on for years and years to come. “For the most part, I’m gonna try to make it through the home opener and take it from there.” He finished as they loaded the children into the car first, followed by the latest addition to the Crosby family.

•••

“You look so cute.” Sidney smiled as Emma bounced into his room after Brianna could do her hair up in pigtails with black and gold ribbons around them. She wore her tiny Crosby jersey and little jean capris as well as a tiny pair of white and pink Zigs. He especially liked the tiny Penguins logo temporary tattoo on her cheek – she was definitely going for the full look, or at least, Brianna was.

“Thanks Daddy.” Emma twisted her body from side to side as he finished up his peanut butter and jelly sandwich. “Bite.” She opened up her mouth for a little nibble. Sidney laughed, letting her have a taste before he finished up his pregame routine at home.

“Now let’s see where your evil twin ran off to.” Sid sighed, fixing up his tie and ready to hit the arena. They would be leaving within the next few minutes to get ready for the first preseason game against the Red Wings.

“Dah-dee.” Noah called from downstairs, “hockey time!” He added. Sid nodded, scooping Emma up onto his hips before heading down to the main floor.

“You’re right about that, bud, it is hockey time.” He nodded as Brianna and Kris rose from their seats on the couch as they played with the puppy who was most recently named Tank. “Go put Tank in his kennel, huh?” He asked, reminding Noah of one of his duties.

“TAY-NK.” Noah called, running to the corner of the family room as the bumbly little dog followed him. “Good boy.” He said, closing the door to his kennel behind the puppy who flopped down into his bed.

Noah was all ready to go in his identical Crosby jersey and khaki cargo shorts as well his as his black and blue Zigs that he declared made his steps “bouncy”.

Kris and Brianna took off first, leaving Arianna with his mother tonight seeing as she was being fussy and probably was still a little too small for her first hockey game. Brianna would be keeping an eye on the twins in the suite for their first home game.

There were what seemed like hundreds of photographers at the arena and Sid kept a tight grip on both Emma and Noah. He opted to carry Emma while Noah walked alongside of him – seeing as he was a little less weary of the public than Emma was who hid her face in Sidney’s neck as he tried to calm her down with sweet words. He knew that a lot of the other guys would bring their kids in with them to the player’s concourse and took no issue with doing the same. Emma quietly mussed with Sidney’s tie as the finally made it into the arena and perked up considerably upon seeing one of her favorite people.

“Grandpa!” She squealed, reaching for Mario as he stood by with Nathalie, both of them having a drink of water in the family lounge. Mario’s position in the twins lives had become solidified as he told Sidney that he had no objection to being a grandfather-figure to them since Troy took no interest in it. That, and he loved the twins to pieces.

“Hello there.” Mario smiled, hugging Emma tightly and brushing a hand over her temporary tattoo. “Are you excited to cheer for the Penguins tonight?” He asked with a grin. Emma nodded excitedly as she stole a sip of water from his cup – letting him wipe away the drops on the corners of her mouth. “Are you going to cheer loud with me?” He asked, making her nodd again.

“Go in there.” Noah tugged on Sidney’s hand to the locker room door where Evgeni had just disappeared.

“Want to go check out the locker room?” Sidney asked, nodding his head in the direction of the door. Noah nodded and Emma reached for Sidney as well. Could he bring a little girl into the men’s locker room? Mario sensed his apprehension and handed Emma off to Nathalie.

“Emma, how about you go with Nathalie up to the special room to watch the game in and Noah will meet you up there?” Mario suggested, making Emma frown for a moment but nod her head nonetheless. “Tell your Daddy ‘good luck’ and give him a big kiss, huh?” He added.

Emma leaned over from Nathalie’s arms and kissed Sidney loudly on the lips.

“Luck, Daddy!” She smiled with a small giggle as he kissed her once more.

“Thank you, baby girl.” He grinned. “I will see you after the game.” He said, cupping one of her soft, baby cheeks in his hands. She smiled before he took off with Noah into the lockerroom. Emma smiled upon seeing Brianna again up in the suite along with a few other familiar faces and instantly sat between Brianna and Kody Dupuis in the seats as Nathalie passed out child-safe cups of apple juice for the kids to tide them over until the game started.

Soon, Noah joined them as well, holding his own hockey puck and one for his sister as well as he sat down on the other side of Kody. Emma had a wonderful time talking to the other children while Noah liked to yell at the people in the neighboring suite with a big, toothy smile.

Soon the game was underway and the twins were both enthralled with what was happening down on the ice.

“Daddy!” Emma squealed, finding Sidney’s jersey and pointing down to him with her tiny finger.

“You’re right, that is Daddy.” Brianna smiled, fixing one of her bows on her pigtails and snapping a few photos of the two as they watched the game with great interest.

Mike Comrie was the first to score a goal in the preseason game, sending the arena into a frenzy, Emma cheered and screamed and waved her hands while Noah huddled into his seat during all the noise, opting to sit in Brianna’s lap instead as she calmly rubbed his back.

“It’s okay, babe, everyone’s just excited!” Brianna smiled as he frowned at all of the loud audience members. It didn’t take much longer until Sidney scored the second Penguins goal at the first game in the CEC, this time.

“Daddy!” Emma screamed excitedly as they showed him up on the big screen, celebrating his goal with this line mates. Noah wasn’t quite as upset this time as he smiled and cheered for his Dad.

During the first intermission, the children in the suite shared a snack of veggies and dip and a fruit tray and Nathalie refilled their drinks with more juice. Max, who was sitting out for the night and spent the first period of the game in a different box offered to take Noah to the bathroom during the first few moments of the second period.

However, the mood of the fun, family box changed as someone new entered the room unbeknownst to Mario who was sitting in the first row of the seats quietly chatting with Phoebe, Jordan’s girlfriend who held Noah on her lap.

Troy Crosby’s eyes zeroed in on the little boy sitting beside Mario, his eyes going wide as he had a flashback to when his son was that small. There was no doubt that it was Noah – he was Sidney’s identical twin.

A few of the wives took notice of Troy’s presence, but when Brianna saw the balding, portly man out of the corner of her eye, she quickly tucked Emma into her side, hiding her away from him if she could. Emma wiggled out of Brianna’s grasp in just the slightest as she saw Mario hand Noah a Hershey’s kiss from the candy bowl up on the counters.

“Grandpa! I want one!” She yelled out happily, creating a thick silence as Troy thought the veins in his neck were going to explode. Mario stood up to grab another little chocolate for Emma and that’s when he finally saw Troy.

Not having much to say to Sidney’s father or anything polite for that manner, Mario simply nodded at the man he had known for the better part of the last ten years before moving past him to the countertops in the back of the box. Troy had seen enough with his own eyes and left the suite immediately.

Sidney registered an assist later in the game and sat out during the third period due to soreness in his hip flexor but he was ecstatic to see his twins after the game had finished. The Penguins trainer winced as Sidney hoisted both twins up into his arms upon meeting them in the player lounge and carried them quickly out to his car, not really wanting to do much with the press that night but get them home, get a little dinner in their bellies and then heading off to bed.

“Sid,” Mario stopped him as he neared the back entrance to the player’s cars. “I think you should know, Troy was here tonight.” He sighed, making Sidney stop in his tracks.

“Troy? As in my Dad?” He asked with narrowed eyes and a small tint of confusion.

“He was in the suite, he for sure saw Noah but I don’t think he saw Emma.” He added. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s at your place now.”

Sidney nodded but made his way to his car just as quickly, wanting to get the twins home so they could talk about their exciting night.

Thankfully when he pulled up to the country home, there was no site of a rental car and he could spend the night with the twins unhindered.

But he knew that he couldn’t avoid his father forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm sorry this took me so long! those of you that follow me on tumblr/twitter know that this past week has been super brutal and busy for me! however, this week is much more relaxed and i will have more time for writing, seguin will be updated next and then toews!
what did you think of his chapter? a little cute and a little drama!
i'd love to hear from you all! welcome to my newest subscribers and thanks so much for investing your time with me! :)
thanks again and don't forget to comment!
<3 kara

ps. this is tank!
i'm living vicariously through them because i've always wanted an english bulldog :)