Brave the Storm and Embrace the Rain

Motherhood.

The twins were sitting on the couch when I entered, pretending that they hadn't been watching me through the huge front window.

"Hey guys," I laughed as I walked in.

"Indy!"

"Indy!" The boys mimicked as I greeted them. They both jumped up off of the couch and threw themselves at me. They wrapped their little arms around my waist and held on tight. I hugged each of them back with a smile and looked up when I noticed Karli wander into the room from the kitchen.

"Where've you been?" She questioned with a tone that could not be considered angry but that still wasn't very happy.

"With a couple friends, why?" I replied as she stepped further into the room.

She shrugged but spoke, "Because when I came to pick you up Nathaniel said you had run off with a few boys. What was I to think?" She came and rested her hands on the boys' shoulders. "Go to your room," She told them, ignoring the complaints that came from them.

After a moment they clambered up the stairs and disappeared around the corner. I looked to Karli with a confused expression, wondering why she had sent the twins away.

"What are you doing?" I questioned her, watching as she rung her hands a few times as she stood in front of me. She shuffled back and forth on her feet and licked over her lips before speaking.

"I don't like it that you took off with men you knew nothing about. What if they were to harm you? Or... Well, Indiana, what if something terrible were to happen to you? What would we do then?" Karli ranted nervously as she waved her hands around in the air quickly, trying to get her point across.

"Karli, I know them. I spent the whole night with them at Dad's shop. I know them. Hell, I'm dating one of them now. I have plenty of time to get to know them all even better. Just relax." I told her in a firm tone knowing that she and I would get angry if we kept talking about this. I knew that this would end up in a cliche fight about rules.

"Indiana!" Karli screeched in a worried tone, "That's not the point!"

I just shrugged and turned to head up the stairs, "It doesn't matter anymore, Karli. I'm home. Eadon brought me home safe. Relax."

"Indiana, I'm not your mother and you cannot talk to your father or I that way!"

I shook my head and cut her off. I wasn't sure if she knew what happened to my mother but I was intending on telling her now. "Be glad you're not my mother," I told her coldly, "She's locked up in a psyc-ward and that's no place for a woman who has two young boys. It's not fun growing up without either of your parents... I would know."

There was a stony silence in the air as I stared her down, waiting for to dare say something else. After a moment she spoke in a much quieter tone.

"Indy, I just don't want you hurt by that Eadon boy," She murmured lightly, reaching out towards me.

"That's none of your concern. Eadon is good to me," I murmured as I shook my head at her and turned to go.

I went up the stairs and threw myself down onto my bed in my room with a sigh. Eadon was all I could think about now that I had said his name once more. It was like I could feel him in my bones. It was a ache that was deep under my skin that just longed for him and the way he could make me feel. My mind kept wandering to why he had to go home so suddenly but I tried to push all assumptions away and keep an open mind.

It was 3:30 and I was scrolling through my phone when I ran over Brooklyn's name. I opened up a new text and sent her a message.

'Hey Brooklyn. This is Indy, from the train. What's up?'

It was a few minutes later that I got a reply from her. Even in text she seemed bubbly and excited.

Indy! I'm so glad you finally got in touch with me! I'm not doing a whole lot, just hanging out with my God-son and his dad. You?

I smiled, I'm just hanging around the house. Had a hectic night. It's nice to relax.

I know what you mean! I'm always busy doing something. Brooklyn texted back a few minutes later.

We talked for a long time, texting back and forth until I became sleepy and couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I sent her one last text before my eyes shut tight.

I'll text you later. Heading to bed.

She replied with a Goodnight and mentioned something about putting the baby to bed.

I fell asleep right after I changed out of my clothes and into a pair of silky basketball shorts and a white wife-beater. My room was warm so I slept on top of my covers with my head buried in my pillows. I listened for noises through out the house and then reveled in the quietness. My mind was drifting away as I laid there and fought against the heat in the air. Eventually my mind went blank and my breathing slowed as I slept.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. :(
But I'm working on another chapter right now.

So comment? Please.