Brave the Storm and Embrace the Rain

Houses.

"The movies," Eadon told me as we pulled into the theatre parking lot, "Lets go see a scary movie."

I grinned and shivered as we parked with the guys coming in next to us. It was a big building that had "Showplace 16" written on it. There were movie pictures lining the outside and people walking to and from the building. Eadon and I got out of the red car with excited and nervous smiles on our faces. Excited for him, nervous for me.

When we got into the movie theatre there was a short line and then a candy counter on the far north of the room. Eadon bought my ticket, claiming this as a date, as he led me in. Trent, Kalib, and Reid followed behind us as they laughed and shoved each other around while making jokes about Eadon and I, and how we would barely see the movie.

But Eadon and I weren't one of those public affection type of couples. At least not the type that makes out with their counter part right in front of you just to almost say, "I have a boyfriend/girldfriend and you don't," When in reality it just wants to make you barf up everything you ate for lunch and then some. No, Eadon and I weren't like that. At least, not on purpose. We held hands during the movie and buried my eyes in his shoulder a couple of times as people got their heads chopped off among other important limps. A few times Eadon and I got distracted and would try throwing popcorn into one another's mouths. But that never worked in the dark and the other guys would just laugh. We kissed a couple of times. However it never went farther than a peck here or there, seeing as his friends were on either side of us.

The movie was long, almost two and a half hours. When we emerged the clock on the dashboard in the car said 4:28 PM in red letters. I sucked on my mixed slushy happily as we waited for the guys to stop goofing around and get into the car. Kalib said that he had to go home and check up on someone. Eadon nodded right away, not asking any questions as Reid and Trenton got into Eadon's mustang with us. Kalib waved out the window as he drove past, seemingly in a hurry to get to where he needed to be. I didn't ask any questions.

"Lets go to your place," I murmured at Eadon as we drove around aimlessly, hoping that we'd crash-land at an entertaining place.

"Nah," Eadon shrugged, "My place is a dump."

I was confused as I spoke, "But you have such a nice car. How could your house be any different?" I watched as the muscles in Eadon's face tightened a tiny bit as did his hands on the steering wheel.

Trenton laughed from the backseat, "Maybe he ran out of cash!" He joked as Eadon glared in the rearview mirror.
I looked to Eadon for an explanation instead of taking Trenton's as a viable answer. Eadon only shrugged and continued to drive us into downtown Newark once more.

We stopped at a park right down town and hung out there for a little while. Eadon and I sat on the swings while the boys chased each other around like they did when they were younger, as children. Eadon seemed to relax when we didn't mention his place anymore and the two of us talked about a lot of things. We watched at the sun disappeared and the moon shone bright in it's place. We laid in the grass with our arms around each other as the stars appeared in the sky.

Eadon dropped me home around nine PM so that I would be home to put the boys to bed with my Dad. They were surprised to see me home before they fell sleep so I laid with Maddox on the bottom bunk for a while and watched Shark Tale with them until they were both sound asleep. Maddox's head was resting in my shoulders and his little arm was draped across my waist as we laid under his blankets. Wyler was silent as well and I sighed as I closed my eyes. I drifted on and off for the next few hours, content in the company of my brothers and their innocence. Their light snores were a reminder of my childhood, when my father and I would lay on the couch together and watch Viva La Bam or any skateboard exposition on t.v.