Brave the Storm and Embrace the Rain

Meeting The Family.

When the boys woke up we did play with them for a little while. I realized that I had lost tract of time when I heard my Dad come through the front door. My eyes widened and I looked over to Eadon, who sat on the top bunk in the twins' room. Maddox had been up there with him, the two of them trying to invade the fort of blankets that Wyler and I had hung from between the wooden bars of the beds.

Eadon looked back at me and I could see nervousness in his pale green eyes. My father was a big kid at times but I knew that he had it in him to be tough. The twins raced out of their room and towards the sound of our fathers voice. As they threw the door open the smell of dinner wafted in, reminding me that if Eadon didn't leave now he would have to sit through our "family dinner time."

Eadon climbed off of the top bunk. He hit the floor with a "thump" and walked over to stand next to me, watching as I tried to make a decision about what to do, in my head.

I looked up at Eadon and slipped my fingers through his. I tugged him down into the hallway. I froze at the top of the stairs and peaked over the railing. I watched as Dad and Karli walked into the kitchen with one of the twins in their arms. I glanced at Eadon and pulled him down the stairs. As soon as I was about to open the front door so that Eadon could make his escape, I heard my Dad call out to me.

"Hold on there, Indiana!"

I groaned and Eadon tightened his grip on my hand reassuringly. I glared at my Dad as he walked over to the two of us. He was wearing a flannel button up shirt that had the sleeves rolled up past his elbows. He wore tight-fitting black jeans that suggested that he was still trying to hold into his teenage years and he was shoeless but I knew that his ratty converse had been forgotten somewhere near the door.

"Where you running off to Indy?" Dad questioned as he sauntered over, looking Eadon up and down, sizing him up.

I shrugged and looked up to my Dad. "I'm just walking Eadon out," I told him, taking a slight step closer to the front door.

Dad nodded and wrung his hands out in front of him. He met Eadon's eyes and offered a handshake. "I'm Nathaniel Peyton. I've seen you around my skate park... You're pretty good."

Eadon smiled and shook his hand with the one that wasn't connected to mine. "Thanks. It's cool to actually meet you for real. Not just as I'm paying to get in," Eadon said in a more relaxed voice. I tightened my grip on his hand as a warning for him not to get too friendly with my father. Eadon sent me a look, understanding.

"Dad," I cut him off before he was about to speak again, "Can he go now? It's kind of a long ride home."

Dad brushed me off and reached out to put one hand on Eadon's shoulder. He motioned for Eadon to follow him into the actual living room side of the room. Eadon looked towards me, asking if it would be okay instead of for help. I let go of his hand, letting him know that it was cool.

He smiled at me, his lip ring shining under the ceiling light, as he followed my Dad into the kitchen. I watched from my perch as the twins ran over and hugged Eadon around the waist. Eadon laughed, throwing his head back slightly, his hair flying away from his face for a moment and then landing back in perfect disarray. Karli stood at the stove, watching them as I had. She had a wooden ladle in one hand and an oven mitt on the other. She stood with a sense of cautiousness as she gazed at them. We both watched as my Dad went and pulled the boys from Eadon, although Maddox didn't want to let go. Eadon waved his hand at my Dad and told him that it was fine. Eadon picked Maddox up of the ground and held him in his arms. Maddox cheered.

"Indy!" Dad called out to me, making my gaze slid over to him, "Come and join the family!"

I laughed and nodded. I walked into the kitchen, leaving my shoes by the door, next to Eadon's. I walked over to Eadon and stood next to him. He looked down at me and I looked up at him. We smiled simultaneously. He leaned down slightly and pushed his lips against mine. I stood on my tip-toes, one hand's fingers already tangled in his hair. Maddox leaned away from me as he sat in Eadon's arms. Both of the five year old shouted "Yuck!" as our lips touched, causing Dad and Karli to both look over.

When I pulled away from Eadon, Dad was watching me. I smiled at him slightly and shrugged. Dad licked over his lips, thinking, and then after a moment he smiled back. I stole a look at Karli and she didn't look appalled like I assumed, just slightly uneasy with our exchange. I offered her a smile, one that she didn't return as easily.

"Eadon," Dad called from the counter, "Why don't you stay for dinner?"

Eadon looked surprised and shocked at my father's question. It took a second but Eadon replied, his shakiness gone. "Actually, I can't Mr. Peyton. My parents want me to come over for dinner tonight. I'm probably going to be running late if I don't get going soon."

Dad spoke next, ignoring the surprised look that Karli had sent him. "You don't live with your parents?" Dad asked, realizing that Eadon is farther in life than me.

Eadon shook his head, "I moved out when I was 17."

"Can I ask why?" Dad murmured, turning to face Eadon and I completely.

Eadon set Maddox down on the ground finally, ignoring the little boy as he whined and then raced over to the table, where his brother was sitting.

Eadon thought about his answer to my father for a moment and then he nodded. He didn't say anything for a moment and it seemed that he was still unsure of the words that he was going to say.

"Uh," he murmured, still trying to think, "My parents and I were going through a rough patch. They didn't like a decision that I made for my life and I was tired of them trying to control my every move, so I moved out to live with a friend of mine right after my 17th birthday."

Dad smiled at him, knowing what it was like to have to leave home at a young age. Both of my father's parents had been slightly abusive when he and my uncle Oliver were growing up. Oliver was older by three years and when he turned 18 he fought for custody of his 15 year old brother, Nathaniel. He won in court and the two of them moved out of New York and to Jersey.

"How are you doing on your own?" Karli questioned, surprising me and Eadon both. I stared Karli down, trying to figure out her motives. This was the first thing that she ever said to Eadon.

Eadon shrugged and offered a smile to my step-mom. "I'm doing okay," He told her earnestly, "I've got my own place and I can pay the bills."

"What do you do for a job?" Dad questioned as he carried plates over to the dinner table. Karli continued to stir whatever it was that she was making as the twins started to bang their silverware on their plates.

Dad chastised the boys as Eadon replied. "I don't work right now," he said, watching for Karli's and Dad's reactions.

Karli glanced at Dad, confused. But Dad just held a confused look on his face as he glanced back between Eadon and I.

"Then how do you support yourself?" Karli questioned, folding her arms over her chest after she turned the stove over, signaling that dinner was done.

Eadon shrugged again with a thoughtful look on his face. "I just do."

Karli was about to rebut but Dad spoke, cutting her off.
"Didn't you say that you had to be getting to your parents for dinner? You better get going in that case."

Eadon nodded thankfully and said his goodbyes to the boys. The twins ran over and threw themselves on him, their arms wrapping around his waist.

"Bye kids," Eadon laughed while he kneeled down in front of them, their little arms sliding up to be around his neck.

"Bye Eadon!" they said simultaneously as they took steps back and started to wave to him. He waved back and took my hand. I led him out of the kitchen and towards the front door. He slid his feet into his high tops and stood up tall. He smiled at me and leaned down. I stood on my tippy-toes, his shoes making him about 7 inches taller than me all together, including the already obvious difference.

I kissed Eadon, aware that my Dad and Karli could probably see us. Obviously, Eadon didn't mind. He let his fingers slip under my t'shirt at my hips and his thumbs rub circles against my skin. I cupped my hands over his cheeks and kissed him back, forgetting about everyone around us.

When we pull away I can't help but smile. He leaned down and pressed his lips against my cheek, freezing slightly before he turned, opened the door and disappeared into his car. I watched from the stoop of the door as he drove off, his hand hanging out the window.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long! My internet was out for about a day and a half.

Spring Break is almost over so updates might not be as frequent, but I'll try. I promise. :D
Hope you enjoy!
This is for worldclass since she comments on every chapter. So thank you!