Status: Active.

Chasing Forever

oo3.

“Greyson!” I managed. I hoped it didn’t sound too desperate.

“Hey!” he said, reaching his arms out to hug me. I quickly got up and accepted his embrace. This was not happening. Could this really be happening?!

“I haven’t seen you since….” he paused. Since we broke up? I thought to myself. “Since high school,”

I breathed out a slight sigh of relief. Even when he was awkward he was cute. Dear God, please, oh please, do not let me pass out right now. But it was nearly impossible with those deep, dark brown eyes looking at me in that exact same way they used to….

Oh, crap, he’s staring at you! Why’s he staring at you?! Oh. Yeah. He’s talking to me. He’s real. This is really happening….

Say something!

“I know. It’s been too long. Uh, how’ve you been?”

Good. Subtle, calm.

He smiled. Oh, God, now I really was going to pass out. Did he know what that smile did to me? What his very presence did to me?

“Good, good. You?”

“Good,” I squeaked a little too quickly. He laughed and put his hand behind his neck. Soon, my own giggles joined in with his.

Just then, the music stopped.

“Alright,” a deep voice boomed into a microphone. “Here’s a song that comes special from the bride’s brother, Topher. Made just for the bride and groom on their wonderful day.”

I looked up to see Topher standing by the DJ, guitar in tow.

“Congratulations, Margie and Paul,” he said into the microphone. His eyes made their way through the crowd slowly, until they found mine. He smiled slightly, his eyes softening. Then, he began to play. Soft and sweet, his fingers gracefully plucked the most beautiful sound I’d ever heard.

“And I always knew we’d end up together,
Just you and me, chasing forever,”
Topher sang.

Just then, I felt someone take hold of my hand.

“Do you want to dance?” Greyson asked. I’d almost forgotten he was there.

I smiled.

“Sure,”

The atmosphere was intoxicating. It was getting late now, and the lights in the tent were dimmed. Topher’s song filled through the tent, weaving in and out of the dancing guests. And I was back in the arms of someone I never thought would even look at me twice ever again.

“What are you thinking?” he asked, awaking me from my reverie.

What was I supposed to tell him? That this moment, seeing him again, was now everything I had dreamed it would be and more? That I’d always pictured us dancing, just like this, surrounded by beauty, at our own wedding?

“Nothing,” I said.

He laughed.

“What?”

“Nothing,” he said in the exact tone of voice as I had.

I raised my eyebrows at him.

“It’s just, you haven’t stopped smiling once since I came over to talk to you,”

Now, the edges of his lips were practically touching his ears as he raised his own eyebrows at me.

I hit the back of his shoulder where my hand rested while we danced. He laughed in response.

“Well, I guess you just have that effect on people,”

“I’m kind of a big deal,” he joked.

I rolled my eyes before his stare caught mine. Now his face was serious, staring down at me just like he always used to do.

“I missed you.” he said. “It’s been too long.”

I thought about telling him that it was his own fault it’d been so long. That we could’ve kept in touch. That all I’ve wanted, for two years now, was just to talk to him again. But I couldn't.

“I missed you too.” was all I could say. I don't think I'd meant it more in my entire life.

Just then, Topher’s song ended. Greyson and I separated while applause filled the room. In my bra, I could feel my cell phone going off. Topher had thought I was crazy for putting it there but there was no other place to put it given my ensemble and I kept my phone on me at all times.

New Txt Msg
From: Mom
Sent at: Saturday, May 18, 9:16pm
Curfew is 9:30. Dnt 4get.


“Damn it.” I cursed under my breath. I would be grounded the night I see Greyson again.

“Who was that?” he asked.

I quickly put my phone behind my back.

“No one,” I lied. His face fell, ever so slightly. “It’s just my mom. I got grounded last week and she wants me home soon. Coming here was the only exception to leaving the house. This and school.”

“Oh,” he said, face brightening a bit. “Maybe I could give you a ride home then?”

For the first time tonight, he sounded nervous.

“Yeah,” I answered after a quick moment of ‘Oh my God!’ “That’d be nice.”

I started to walk to towards the exit before Greyson stopped me.

“Don’t you have to say goodbye to Toph?” he asked.

I looked back to see Topher talking to Margie and Paul. All three were laughing.

“I’ll text him. I’m going to see him tomorrow anyway.”

And, just like that, we walked out of the tent, virtually unnoticed.
♠ ♠ ♠
So two days ago, I saw my inspiration for Greyson for the first time in two years. I am still through the roof. Just thought I'd tell y'all about that. :]

Comments?