Status: Active! Comments, please! :)

Finders Keepers

Let's Get Dirty

I heard the giggling before I heard my roommate, but it was all the same.

“Baby!” she squealed.

Un-freaking-believable, I thought to myself. I rolled my eyes as I peeked over my shoulder, catching just a glimpse of her before she went back to dry humping her boyfriend in the hall of our apartment. I had almost forgotten what it sounded like to hear her trying to swallow him whole—almost.

Teagan had been my roommate for a little over a year, and in that time we had become pretty good friends. She was a little crazy, craving a good time almost anywhere she went, but that was okay with me. I could enjoy her party hard ways, especially being a junior in college. It was like that fact alone embedded the partying gene into my DNA, so having Teagan around was okay. Having love-sick Teagan around wasn’t so fantastic, though.

I wasn’t a cynic, but Teagan had been dating her boyfriend for several years, since before I had met her, and I was getting sick of dealing with the two of them doing it on every available surface of our apartment.

I guess I couldn't really complain. Teagan was a perfect roommate, aside from being so wrapped up in her boyfriend. She was hardly at the apartment; whether she was visiting Trey or doing other things with Trey, she didn't take up actual space in our apartment. When she was here, she was always extremely friendly and that was why I had never brought up the boyfriend situation.

I heard the two of them stumbling through the hall, so I cleared my throat and coughed to make my presence known. "Oh!" Teagan exclaimed, her hands twirling Trey's hair and a blush creeping up her neck. "I didn't even realize you were here, Kenna."

I rolled my eyes and kept my gaze focused on the TV. "Hi Trey," I said absentmindedly as I took another bite of my morning cereal, despite the fact that it was approaching noon. What can I say? I liked to sleep.

"Hi Kendall," he answered, dragging Teagan behind him as they took a seat on the loveseat. "How's school going?"

I shrugged and peaked at the worn out ASU sweatshirt I was wearing. "Its going." I didn't put much thought into my answer, because what else could I say? I hate school and I'm so glad I'm graduating next year? That wasn't just cliche for a college junior, but I hated saying that. It made me sound like just another lazy teenager, even though I was quickly approaching twenty-one. I didn't like to play into stereotypes. That's not saying I ran around with rainbow colored hair, yelling, "I'M DIFFERENT! I'M DIFFERENT!" I just hated being a typical almost twenty-one year old.

"So what are your plans for the day my dear?" Teagan asked me.

I shrugged again. "I honestly have none. I'll probably stay home this year."

"But it's New Years Eve! You have to go out and celebrate!" she exclaimed.

"Why? New Year's Eve is so overrated. It's basically just an excuse to get drunk and say you're going to do all these things in the New Year that you never do."

Teagan rolled her pretty green eyes at me and groaned. "Oh come on, Kenna. Today's not the day to spew your feminist bullshit."

I quirked an eyebrow and smirked. "Feminist? I don't think that's what you mean--"

"Whatever! I just don't want to hear it. I demand you come out with me."

Now Trey was chiming in. "Yeah Kendall, come down to the block party in Tempe with us. It'll be fun!"

I was wary of the idea. I didn't particularly want to go out tonight, seeing as I had been out partying since winter break had started a little over a week ago. It was rough work being a college student, I tell you. But in the end, I was shrugging and saying, "Alright, I'll come."

That was my first mistake.

***

“I can’t believe I’m wearing this,” I uttered again, for what felt like the millionth time, in disbelief as I stared down at my outfit. The dark wash skinny jeans were okay, and the black flats with gold bows were even semi-normal. But the gold sequined tank top paired with the cropped black blazer just screamed, “This isn’t me! These aren’t my clothes! I’m faking this all!” Teagan insisted I dress up though, because it was New Year’s Eve and that’s what it was all about.

I had retorted with a smart remark about it being about the New Year, which she did not find funny, and then was ordered to change into the outfit I was wearing now.

The outfit itself wasn’t that bad, I suppose. I just didn’t feel like being at this block party. New Year’s Even exhausted me, and as I had pointed out to Teagan earlier, I just didn’t see what was so special about it.

The block party was certainly interesting. We spent a lot of our time in the carnival area, because it was the most fun out of everything. I was even having a good time with both Teagan and Trey, which was pretty unusual. It wasn’t that Trey wasn’t a nice guy, it was just when the two of them were together they tended to ignore everyone else. But they seemed to be genuinely trying to interact with me, so I genuinely tried to have a good time.

It didn’t last though. After a run on the Ferris wheel due to satisfy Teagan’s pleads, we got separated. I wasn’t too concerned; we had made a plan to meet at the Insight Main Stage at around seven because Trey’s brother’s band was going to be performing around that time. After checking my phone and realizing it was only six thirty, I decided to explore the party a little more.

I took my camera out of my purse and decided to get some shots; the carnival lights always fascinated me and I loved getting pictures of people with such genuine looks of happiness on their faces. I wasn’t a professional photographer by any means, but after a few years of photography classes in college, I had discovered that I actually enjoyed capturing people on camera. I only liked candid shots though—poses seemed too stiff and unnatural for me, and so I only did those when absolutely necessary or when I was forced.

I guess I wasn’t paying attention; a little girl trying to stuff way too much sugary cotton candy in her mouth had caught my eye, and as her mother was helping her clean up, I snapped a few pictures. It was too good of a moment not to capture. I guess I was immersed in the moment and I was busy trying to get just the right angle, because when I finally started walking again, reviewing the pictures on my camera’s screen, I ran right into someone.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if the force of the collision and my overall clumsiness didn’t have me falling to the ground in a heap, intertwined with the mystery person I had just practically killed. But alas, there I was, on the ground in a heap. My luck was amazing sometimes, it really was.

“I’m so sorry!” I apologized as I scrambled to pick my SLR off the ground. It had been my father’s at one time, and I valued it with my life. I was a little worried about the stranger I had just taken out, but I was extremely worried about my camera.

Which I couldn’t find.

Oh shit.

I finally looked up at the stranger who was now standing, a smirk on his face as he held my camera and stuck his hand out, presumably to help me off the ground. I got up and then quickly took my camera from him, inspecting it for damage.

“It should be fine, considering my face acted as a pillow for it,” he informed me.

Well, now didn’t I feel like a big fat jerk?

I nodded shortly. “Sorry about that. First day walking and all that,” I joked.

He laughed in return, which made me feel better. “Just be careful. Wouldn’t want you smashing that camera of yours.”

“Thanks for catching it, even if it was with your face,” I called after him as he was walking away.

I thought I heard him laugh. And then he was stopping and turning to face me. “You thirsty?”

That’s how I found myself at one of the beer vendors with the guy I had come to recognize as John while he bought me a drink. My camera was secure in my purse while I held the beer and John and I talked. I found out he was in a band that was playing tonight, but he wouldn’t tell me what band and he wouldn’t tell me when they were playing or if they had played already. “That’s kind of sketchy of you,” I commented as we walked along, sipping my beer slowly. “How do I know you aren’t lying?”

He shrugged, a lazy smile gracing his face. “Trust me.” And I did. I found him attractive, but he wasn’t my type. I wasn’t planning on trying to hook up with him later--I wasn’t like that. I just trusted him for some reason. I guess when you sacrifice the sake of your own face for my measly camera, I can’t help but trust you.

“What time is it?” he asked suddenly as we were walking. I noticed we had gotten closer to the stage area.

“Quarter after seven.”

He smiled again as we stopped. “Well, I have to go soundcheck.”

I smiled broadly as I pointed an accusing finger at him. “You haven’t played yet! So I can watch you perform.”

He nodded as he laughed. “Guess you can. I didn’t catch your name though.”

“Kendall Summers,” I informed him as I stuck my hand out to shake his own. “Maybe I’ll see you around?”

“Hope so,” he said. Then he was heading off, leaving me alone. I checked the time on my phone again and realized I had to go find Teagan and Trey.

I called Teag’s cell phone as I tried to find a semi-quiet area in the vicinity, but it was to no avail. She wasn’t answering anyways. I called a few more times, but she never answered, so then I tried Trey’s number. Luckily he answered after the third ring.

“Trey?” I yelled, trying to hear him over the crowd.

“Kendall! Where are you? We were looking for you.”

I looked around to see if there were any distinct things I could mention so they could find me, but to no avail. “I’m at the stage now actually, so can you just come find me?”

He agreed and said they were on their way and would be there in mere minutes.

I watched as the band on stage set up and sound checked. I tried to get closer and I snapped some pictures. The crowd was full of teenage girls and they actually seemed kind of friendly, so I asked around to see who would be performing.

“The Maine,” one girl with bottle blonde hair gushed. “They’re, like, so hot. And their music is just so good.”

“Is that them?” I questioned, motioning to the guys setting up.

She laughed and shook her head. “That’s the crew.”

I thanked her and proceeded to take a few practice shots before I heard my name being called. I turned around only to find Teagan and Trey waving their arms to get my attention. I headed their way, stuffing my camera in my bag again. “We’ve been looking all over for you!” Teagan scolded me.

I laughed at her motherly tone and rolled my eyes. “Chill, Teag. I was fine. I met this guy, and he’s actually in one of the bands playing tonight, so I want to stick around until I figure out what band he was in.

“Oh, a guy huh?” she said, wiggling her eyes brows. “What’s his name?”

“John, and before you interrogate me, I have no interest in him. He was just a nice guy who bought me a drink, and now I’m sticking around to hopefully find his band.”

“Wait, you said John?” Trey said, suddenly interested in our conversation.

I nodded as I heard girls screaming. Apparently, The Maine was on now. “Why?” I asked before I got drowned out by the sound.

“This is my brother’s band, and if I know his friends, I’m guessing the John you met is on stage right now,” he yelled back as I turned to face the stage. Sure enough, there was John, standing front and center with a smile on his face.

“Tempe!” he called to the crowd, who yelled back. “Let’s get dirty tonight, alright?”

I shook my head and laughed to myself. Of course John was in Trey’s brother’s band. Of course he would be the one I take out. I tried to enjoy the music and get some more pictures, but I was too preoccupied.

“Come on,” Trey said to Teagan and I suddenly. He grabbed Teag’s hand and the two hurried towards the stage, but off to the side where the crowd was thinner. I hurried up and followed so I wouldn’t get lost again.

Because of Trey's relationship with the band, he flashed his pass and got Teagan and I backstage with him. We walked over to sidestage and watched the rest of the set from there, me snapping pictures every chance I got and Teagan and Trey making out every chance they got.

It was a fun set; the band certainly had talent, and that couldn't be denied. When the guys got off-stage, they motioned towards an area that was even further back, which I found out was their dressing room. It was better, and definitely more quiet so now we could actually hear ourselves think. "Great show, guys," Teagan commented as she and Trey took a seat on the couch. "Really."

John smirked as he came over to stand next to me. "You sure about that, Teag? Because I glanced in you and Trey's direction more than once during the night and you were too busy sucking each other's face off."

Teagan blushed and buried her face in her boyfrend's chest. I just laughed. "Good one," I commented, nudging John gently in the ribs.

He chuckled. "I've had some practice. I've known Trey for a long time."

I shook my head. "How have I never met any of you?"

He looked confused. "Wait, how do you--"

"I'm Teagan's roommate."

"Ah, makes sense."

"John-o! Who's your friend?" one of the boys interrupted us then. And then, four pairs of eyes were on John and I.

"Guys, this is Kendall. She's Teagan's roommate, and my new friend!" He slung his arm over my shoulder and pulled me into his side.

One of the guys scoffed at this. I noticed he was sitting on the couch with Teagan and Trey, his arms crossed over his chest while his posture was slumped. His whole body radiated an aura of pissed off.

John sighed. "Problem, Garrett?"

He gave John a look that I couldn't decipher, which had John shaking his head. He leaned down to me and whispered loudly, "That's Garrett, and he hates everyone and everything right now. So please don't take it personally."

I just laughed. I wasn't planning on taking it personally. Garrett could hate me all he wanted, even if he didn't know me. I didn't care.

John introduced me to the rest of the boys quickly, and aside from Garrett they all seemed relatively nice and like I could get along with them.

"Let's toast!" Trey exclaimed then, getting up and noticing a bottle of champagne that was chilling, presumably for the band. He popped the cork and poured glasses for everyone. We all gathered in a circle and raised our glasses in the air.

"To new friends!" Kennedy cheered, smiling at me.

"Here, here!"

"To a new start!" Pat exclaimed, smacking Garrett on the back, obviously meaning that toast for the broody boy. He grunted as a response.

Ah, a boy of many words! I thought to myself with a mental eye roll.

"Yeah, to better love lives this year! No more crazy bitches," Jared said, also smacking Garrett on the back.

"Fuck you guys," he grumbled, but lifted his glass in the air.

"Cheers!" we all exclaimed, clinking glasses and then drinking our champagne.
♠ ♠ ♠
New storyyyyyy!

I love Garrett. But you know what I love more than Garrett? I love MOODY Garrett. He's the best.

Feedback? What are you guys' thoughts on this so far? Any ~predictions?

<333