Running From Lions

013

Luckily I’d got out the conversation so far but school was bound to ruin that.

“Hey Rory,” smiled Jack as we sat down in class, we got even a project to do and the teacher left.

“Hey is your brother okay?” Jack asked and I nodded.

“He looked pretty bad” he added.

“I’ve seen worse,” I said smiling and he laughed.

“Why are you smiling?”

“He deserves it sometimes, the things he does to people,” I replied.

“Like?”

“Well he’s a bully, he owes people money for stuff and lets just say he likes what he can’t have,” I replied.

“Meaning?”

“Meaning he often gets in fights for sleeping with other peoples girlfriends,” I said and he laughed.

“Really?” I nodded.

“Apparently people find him attractive,” I said laughing.

“Do you want to come round for a bit after school? Alex has to help his dad but I thought we could do something?” I nodded.

“Sure,” I replied as we got on with our work.

I walked in my house to drop my stuff off and walked downstairs, as I opened the door I saw Jack walking over.

“Hey mom’s got people round so let’s go to the park,” he said and we set off, we were sat talking when I saw Marcus walk in and he had a girl with him.

“What’s up?” asked Jack.

“See that boy over there? He’s Jonahs best friend,” I said as the boy waved.

“Hey Rory! How are you?” he asked and I smiled.

“I’m good Marcus, you?”

“I’m great thanks,” he replied.

“Marcus, you dated him right?” Jack whispered and I nodded as Marcus kissed the girl he was with looking over at me.

“I get the impression he’s trying to make you jealous,” Jack said and I laughed.

“It won’t work but yes he’s trying,” I replied as he kissed her again and I rolled my eyes.

“Come here,” Jack said putting his arm round me and Marcus smiled as he pulled the girl into his lap kissing her.

“Come on,” Jack said standing up holding my hand.

“Bye Rory!” Marcus shouted kissing the girl again as I waved, Jack hugged me and as he pulled away he kissed me linking his fingers through mine as we walked off.

“There was no need to try and make him jealous but thanks,” I said.

“Who said I was trying to make him jealous?” Jack replied as he kissed me again.

We walked home and he kissed me again as he went to his house, I walked in my own house and saw Alex out in his yard.

“Hey!” I shouted as I walked outside and he nodded, I heard his dad shout and he looked worried.

“Jump over,” I said pointing to the fence and he did and we both ran inside.

He sat quietly in my room.

“What’s up?” I asked and he pulled his hood down to reveal a cut eyebrow, I grabbed some stuff and cleaned it.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Xavier was round and dad walked in,” he admitted.

“On what?” I asked.

“Making out that’s all. He kicked him out then shouted at me, he said I was disgusting and hit me,” he said quietly.

“Your not disgusting,” I reassured as he hugged me.

“He hates it. He thinks it’s gross; he thinks I’m disgusting. He hates me, just because I like guys, if I had a boyfriend he’d disown me,” he explained.

“You can stay here overnight,” I offered and he nodded.

“Is it wrong I like guys? I mean I told myself I didn’t, that it was a phase but I had a boyfriend. Mom doesn’t mind but dad does, he makes me feel ashamed,” he said as he laid down.

“It’s not wrong and you shouldn’t feel like that, you like guys so what. Not everyone feels the way your dad does,” I reassured.

“But some do,” he replied.

“No they don’t, there’s 3 gay guys at school, 2 lesbians and 3 bisexual people,” I replied and his eyes widened.

“When your brother is Jonah Zanda you know everyone’s secrets,” I said smiling.

“Who?” he asked and I rolled my eyes.

“You can’t tell anyone okay?”

“I promise, I’m not about to out anyone, I’d hate that to happen to me,” he replied.

“Spencer and Graham in the year below us and Steve in our year are all gay. Kat and Daisy in the year below have been dating for 2 years and Shaun in our year, Maisy in the year below and Kelly 2 years below are bisexual,” I said and he smiled.

“Steve’s always giving me the eye,” he joked.

“Your popular though how do you not tell people?”

“I’m popular because people are scared of Jonah even though he’s long left, they worry I might start asking him things and he’ll tell me their secrets but it’s too late I already know,” I replied.

“Why did you never tell him about me?”

“Because everyone has secrets, I wouldn’t want people knowing mine,” I admitted.

“Why does he never tell people?”

“Because then he can’t blackmail you and he’s not a bad person,” I explained.

“What’s your secret then,” he asked.

“That my brother hurts me sometimes but I still love him,” I admitted.

“But surely you can only take so much?” he asked and I shrugged.

“He’s my family,” I said and he smiled.

My phone rang and I answered to hear Jack, I told him Alex was round.

“I should tell him,” Alex said.

“Jack come round mine,” I said and he agreed hanging up.

I heard the door and shouted him to come up seeing as nobody was in apart from us 2.

“Hey whoa what happened to you?”

“Got punched,” Alex admitted.

“Who by?”

“Dad,” Alex replied quietly.

“What? Why?” Jack asked shocked.

“He caught me making out with someone,” Alex explained.

“He’s mad you make out with girls?” Jack asked.

“No but he is that I do it with guys, I’m bisexual,” Alex said and Jack smiled.

“It was Xavier wasn’t it? Finally he can talk to you about stuff and not me,” Jack said smiling.

“Your not bothered?”

“No I think it’s cool, I mean Xavier is always talking to me about guys but now you 2 can chat,” he said and Alex smiled.

“Your really not bothered? It doesn’t affect us being best friends right?” he asked worried.

“No were still best mates, how long have you known?”

“2 years, Rory’s known 2 years too she overheard the night I told my parents,” admitted Alex.

“So what are you and Xavier then?” Jack asked sitting next to me.

“Oh nothing, we’re just…”

“Making out?” offered Jack laughing and Alex smiled.

“I think it’s great and all but just watch yourself with Xavier he’s a prick,” Jack said and I burst out laughing.

“You don’t say that about your family,” I said and he nodded.

“You do when it’s Xavier, his last boyfriend was bisexual and they broke up and his ex got a girlfriend, so Xavier slept with her making sure his ex caught them,” Jack said and Alex laughed.

“So just watch yourself, he likes to get what he wants and he doesn’t care what he has to do to get it,” Jack warned.

“I like the sound of that.”

“Alex!” we both said as he laughed. Jack left and Alex stayed over night.