Running From Lions

024

My phone rang and I answered to hear Alex/

“Okay so they’ve got them coming over in 10 minutes, they’ve sent me out to get something from the shop. Can I come over now?” he asked and I smiled agreeing.

“I have to go Alex is coming over now, I’ll talk to you later okay?” I said and he nodded kissing me.

As I walked out Jack’s house I saw Alex and he grabbed me dragging me down the street.

“He knows what I’m doing, I need to go somewhere where they won’t even think to look for me and somewhere your parents won’t think of.” he said and I chewed at my lip as I thought and then sighed as I knew where we could go.

I took him to the other park near where we lived; nobody really ever went there unless they were looking for trouble, it was well known as the place where bad things happened around town.

If you wanted drugs, alcohol or a place to fight someone you went there and neither my parents nor his would ever think to look for us there.

“Are you crazy?” he asked as I dragged him through the gate.

“You wanted somewhere nobody would think of, so I’m giving you it,” I stated.

“How do you even know how to get in here? I thought it was like one of them things that only people who’d been before knew where the gate in was?” he asked and I nodded.

“This isn’t my first time,” I stated and he smiled.

“That’s what she said,” he replied and I started to laugh.

“But isn’t it dangerous here?” he asked and I shrugged.

"Yeah pretty much so don’t go looking at anyone if they’re in here, but by the looks of things it’s empty,” I said looking around and walking over to the bench I knew so well.

When I was dating Marcus we’d always come down here, I hated it but Marcus insisted it wasn’t as bad as people made out but it was. I knew Jonah came here but I’d never actually seen him here.

We’d been sat talking for about 20 minutes when there was a noise and I jumped, I felt Alex freeze next to me as the noise got closer and I stood up.

Alex got up standing in front of me and I grabbed his hand and he squeezed it.

“It’s okay,” he whispered and I felt nervous.

“It’s probably nothing,” he whispered but I knew he was wrong when I saw 2 guys walk into the streetlight.

“What the fuck are you 2 doing in here?” I heard a voice ask and I didn’t recognize it.

“Are you selling or buying?” the person next to him asked as the got closer to us and Alex looked at me.

“Neither,” I stated and they both laughed.

“So why are you in here then?” the first boy asked.

He was shorter than Alex but stronger and he had that look about him that I recognized from my own brother, he had most definitely taken drugs sometime recently.

“We were looking for someone, but they’re not here so we’ll go,” Alex said going to move pulling me with him but the other guy who looked pretty much the same as the first stopped him by placing his hand on his chest.

“Your not going anywhere so fast,” he said and I felt Alex squeeze my hand so hard I thought he’d break it.

“Hang on I recognize you,” the other guy said stepping towards me and Alex pulled me into his side.

“I don’t think you do,” I said quietly and they both nodded.

“Your that Zanda’s younger sister aren’t you?” he asked and I felt a wave of relief flood over me.

If they recognized me then they’d know Jonah and they’d stay well away.

“Yeah,” I said and they both smiled.

“Well Rory, how is your brother?” the first asked and I looked at them.

“Fine thanks,” I said looking confused and they both smiled.

“Don’t remember us although I doubt you really ever knew us, your brother did. He used to beat us up for money back at school sometimes if we didn’t do what he said,” the other one said.

I sighed.

“Sorry,” I offered and they both smiled.

“Yeah you were never like him though were you? I remember you were quite nice; you’d try and look out for some people. You stopped him hitting me once,” the first guy said and I nodded.

“We never disliked you just that jackass of a brother that you have,” he said and I nodded.

“I don’t think many people were exactly keen on him but anyway we really have to go,” I said moving to walk around them and the first one grabbed Alex pushing him in one direction as the other grabbed me pushing me in the opposite direction.

“What the fuck are you doing?” shouted Alex as he was pinned against a wall.

I felt the guy tighten his grip on my wrist and he pushed me against a fence and I panicked.

“I’m sorry Rory, we don’t have a problem with you but your brother needs to learn and it looks like you’re the only way to get to him,” he said and I shook my head.

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Alex shouted trying to force his way away from the guy who had hold of him.

I wished my brother was there, part of me thought I’d be safer here because I honestly thought he’d be here, but it turns out I was wrong.

“Please don’t,” I begged.

“You’re the only way to hurt him,” he snarled and I shook my head.

“If you hurt me he’ll only get you back. Please,” I begged as he raised his hand.

I felt his fist hit my stomach and pain spread through me.

“You bastard!” I heard Alex shout as tears formed in my eyes.

I tried to force him off me but he only hit me harder.

“Alex,” I shouted.

“I’m trying Rory, stop it!” Alex shouted but it made no difference.

I felt his fist hit my stomach again.

“Hey help!” I heard Alex shout.

“Rory,” Alex shouted.

Just as the guy went to punch me again I felt someone push him over and thought Alex had gotten away from the guy who’d got him.

I grabbed my stomach as the 2 people on the floor carried on fighting and I was shocked that Alex had that sort of power in him when I felt someone grab me and I screamed.