Running From Lions

037

That night things were awkward to say the least, we both wanted to talk about things but neither wanted to know the answers in case they were bad.

I snuggled up to him in bed and he pulled me against his body kissing my nose before sighing and I knew he was going to bring it up.

“Rory we need to talk don’t we?” he asked and I nodded slowly.

“I don’t want to though,” I admitted and he smiled.

“Me neither but I guess we have no choice, babe your mom wants to leave,” he said and I nodded.

I was nervous about it all, what would he say or do?

“She told mom she’s been looking at houses in Florida,” he admitted and I stayed quiet.

“I hate this but we need to talk about it, what if she buys one? Where does that leave all this?” he asked and I shrugged.

I loved Jack, I’d got best friends in Alex and Xavier and I had a job here; this place was my home and Florida was miles away.

“I don’t know, it’s miles away Jack we might never…”

“Don’t say that,” he cut in and I chewed at my lip.

“I’ve thought about this since you mentioned she wanted to leave and I can’t see how all this works out Rory. If you move it’s miles away, we can promise to stay together but look at me and my old friends, I barely see or talk to them. I know what moving is like, you make new friends and forget the old ones while your old friends carry on as normal. I don’t want that for us, I don’t want to be some boy miles away. Staying together would be hard on us both, I don’t want to risk it,” he explained.

“Risk it?” I asked as I felt myself close to tears.

“Yeah. You hear about it all the time, one person moves the other stays, they try to make it work but it doesn’t. One person turns to someone for comfort; to talk to about things and the other person tries to make new friends while remembering the other one. In the end they both make a stupid decision and they cheat and I don’t want that Rory. I don’t want to hurt you or for you to hurt me but if you leave then that means maybe we can’t be together,” he said and I started to cry.

“I don’t want to go,” I said and he shook his head running his fingers through my hair, was this him breaking up with me right now?

“Yes you do Rory, she’s your mom,” he stated and I shook my head.

“I don’t, I hate Florida! We used to go for vacation sometimes when we were younger and Jonah and I used to sit in the hotel all day complaining. I have no friends there and the people we know don’t like me,” I cried and he kissed my cheek.

“But…”

“No Jack I don’t want to go, the only reason she wants to move is because she moved here for dad. She went to college here and dad persuaded her to live here then she had us 2 and she just stayed here with dad. Now he’s gone she has no reason to stay, I finally make real friends and mom decides she wants to move well I won’t move,” I stated and he smiled.

“What if you have to?” he asked and I shook my head.

”It won’t happen,” I stated and he laughed.

“Rory Zanda you’re the most stubborn girl I know,” he said and I smiled.

“I don’t want to leave but I know she will, what if she’s already bought a house and she’s sold our house without telling me and one day I get home and it’s all ‘Rory come on we’re leaving say bye to your friends’?” I asked and he shrugged.

“I don’t want you to go but we need to work out what we’ll do if you have to move,” he said and I shook my head.

“Rory I’m serious, I’m not leaving all this until the last minute and making a stupid decision I’ll live to regret. I don’t want that, it difficult enough trying to stay friends when your miles away but dating is even harder,” he said and I just nodded.

“Look babe I really don’t want to sound like a jerk but I don’t think I could do it, I really don’t think I could deal with you being miles away and trying to still be your boyfriend. I tried with friends and I failed at it and I’d rather not fail at being with you and create arguments when we could leave all this happy,” he said and I just nodded. So he wanted to break up.

He put his hand on my neck.

“Rory don’t think this isn’t hard to say because it is, I love you and you know that and all this of late has proved that to me. When my parents told me we were moving I hated the idea but I had no choice, I thought I’d end up a loner who got picked on and it turned out to be the best thing ever. I’ve gotten closer to Xavier and Alex is a better friend than any I had before and I met you. But I honestly don’t think I’d be a good long distance boyfriend and I don’t want to try and fail because I know I will,” he said.

“So what?” I asked and he squeezed me against him and I felt the warmth from his body on my own.

“I think if you move then we have to break up and say bye,” he said and I cried.

“I’m sorry Rory but I don’t think I can do it, I love you but I really don’t want to end up hurting one another,” he said and I nodded slowly.

He was right you heard it all the time how long distance relationships don’t work, he never spoke to his old friends anymore and he didn’t move all that far away.

We both stayed quiet and I rolled over away from him so he wouldn’t see the fact I was till crying, I felt his arm around my waist pulling me against him.

“I love you,” he whispered before kissing my neck and falling silent again and when I heard his slow breathing I knew he’d fallen asleep.

I laid there listening to him thinking over and over what had been said and I realized that this (if mom got her way) could be one of the last times I ever went to sleep with Jack there.