Just this Once

Here it goes

7:00 pm read my clock. Shoot! Late again.
My cell vibrates Rebby.
“Hey,” I answered.
“Are you coming soon?”
“Yeah, I’m leaving my house like right now,” I tell her.
“Okay, hurry, I’m already up here. I’ll wait for you inside.”
“kay, bye,” I hang up the phone.
I grab my Bible and bag and holler to my mom that I’m ready to go. We drive up the long hill to get to church and I get out of the car telling my mom I’d call her when its over and make my way into the clamshell.
“Hey, Rebs,” I greet Rebby.
“Come on lets go find seats,” she says.
I follow her as we pick the best spot to boy watch from. Come on, church is not only for the sermons.
The worship band is playing our favorite song: ‘What the World Will Never Take’. We sing loudly and proudly and get into the song. Raising our hands, clapping to the beat, doing whatever it takes to praise the Lord. In my case, I start to dance in place and am pretty sure that I am making a fool of myself, but the funny thing is I don't care.
When I’m worshipping nothing can intimidate me. I'm taken out of this world into this world filled of happiness and brightness. A place I long to stay forever.
Once worship is over we sit down and take out our notes and start to draw.
“Reb, 9 o’clock,” I whisper.
Right away her head turns toward the 9 o’clock area. I see her start to smile.
“He’s so hot!” she whispers back.
“I know right!” we laugh together quietly.
Carl started to preach already. This week’s topic was on having the qualities of the best boy/girlfriend. Rebby and I get into our own little discussion about boys- still listening to the sermon though!
“So are you going to talk to him tonight?” Rebby writes on a piece of paper and slides it over to me. I quickly read it and reply.
“I want to, I don't know if I’m going to be able to…” I write back.
“Haha, I’ll help you.”
We look at each other and smile. I nod my head toward the area where her hottie was sitting. Her smile grows even bigger.
“Remember boys, girls like it when you remember things and when you are comforting. Even though they say they don't mind something they really do! And girls, boys really do try when you tell them to do something and they get it wrong. Trust me I’ve been there and done that. Give us a break! Our wallets can’t tell the difference between carnations and roses for Valentine’s Day. Be happy with what you have. If you remember these things and take these things into consideration you’ll have a healthy, thriving, Godly based relationship,” Carol finished preaching. “Take it away Trevor.”
We finish church with one last song: ‘One Way’. Another classic - not to mention another favorite. I watch the drummer during that last song while singing; memorizing every move, every detail, watching the ways his sticks move up and down hitting the drums on that perfect beat.
Reb sees me staring and starts to laugh. “Go talk to him after, trust me he’ll be happy when we go home!”
I roll my eyes. Talking to boys was never my strong point; I just get nervous.
After the song finishes we go out to the courtyard and talk for a little more. Mingle some and wait for the band to finish cleaning up and to come out.
“So you’re going to talk tonight, right?” Reb asked me.
I shrug, “I guess. I don't know. He probably doesn't even like me.”
“Whatever, just go talk, trust me,” she tells me.
“Alright, alright, if the opportunity presents itself I will.”
“Good. Look here they come.”
And of course, right on cue here comes Trescot, Micheal, Sean and Andy. I sigh at the sight. I really don't want to go talk tonight, especially if they were all in a group like that.
After a few moments of watching the group Trescot and Sean start to talk amongst themselves. Reb starts to make her way towards the group Andy and Micheal.
“You coming, or what?” she asks me almost there. I follow her slowly behind.
“Hey Mike,” Reb says congenially.
“Hola,” he replies. I smile back.
Reb and Mike talk to each other leaving me and Andy just off on the side not talking to anyone. I look at him to see what he’s doing, he’s staring at his feet, looking pretty bored. Reb nudges me in the side, nods her head and glares at me with a look that says ‘talk to him’. I barely nod, take a deep breath.
“Hey Andy,” I tell him smiling.
He smiled back.
Least to say, it all went uphill from there.
♠ ♠ ♠
First story here.
=/