New To The Feeling

Green Light

My family returned home at about 7:30. Felicity rushed passed me without saying a word and headed straight to the shower. I was curious if she had asked Adam to come with us, but Felicity was so hard to read sometimes. It wasn’t long before she emerged from the bathroom with her hair dried and a girlish outfit put on.

“Sky, can you come here?” She hollered at me from upstairs.

I followed her voice into the bathroom where she stood in front of the mirror with an endless sea of make-up strewn across the counter. She looked so helpless standing there.

“Adam’s coming, isn’t he?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Help…” she wimpered. I merely laughed and got to work.

***

There was a knock on the door. I fluffed myself up and answered.
I was surprised to see a a fairly tall young teenager standing at the door. He had brown hair and blue eyes that were to die for. He gave an unsure look and I smiled.

“Don’t worry, you’ve got the right house. Adam, right?” I thrust out my hand as an offer. He took it carefully.

“Yeah, I’m Adam.” His voice was deeper than I had expected. Man, this is an old 13 year old.

“Come on in. We’ll be leaving in a few.” I showed him inside, “Felici—Felix!” I corrected myself.

I heard footsteps come from upstairs. She hopped down the steps and stood on the landing. I got a good look at her before Adam could see her. We put her long blonde hair in soft curls and outlined her eyes with a light layer of eye liner, a hint of blush on her cheeks, and some peachy lip gloss. It was simple and natural so that she doesn’t look too grown up too fast. Adam caught a look at her and smile, but kind of laughed.

“What are you laughing at?” Felicity huffed.

“I’ve just never seen you this way. Usually its hockey pads, helmet and a stick. You are much less threatening this way.” He laughed more, causing her to blush.

I winked at her and headed towards Wylie’s room.

“Hey.” I entered slowly.

“Hi. Going out?” He said, staring at the television.

“Yeah. Ok, my mom and dad are home, so you won’t be alone. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask them ok? How’s that bandage looking?” I looked at his head closely, checking for any unwanted oozing fluids. It’s gross, but it needs to be done.

Wylie looked up at me. We were much closer than I had realized. I pulled away. I didn’t want to get caught in this again. He is far too charming to resist.

“You look fine.” I said, patting his arm.

“Yeah.” He managed, “Uh, are you going out with Jake?”

“And some others.” I said matter-of-factly.

“Ok, well--,” a sudden doorbell interrupted, “have fun.”

“Ok. See ya.” I left the room without looking back. I could feel his eyes on me and I didn’t want to make contact with them.

I opened the door to see Jake standing there grandly, looking just as good as ever.

“Let’s party.” He said happily.

***

The go karts were noisy; noisier than I had expected. We all wondered around goofing off and cracking jokes. Felicity and Adam kept to themselves a majority of time, while Jake played silly boy games, leaving me mostly to myself. I didn’t mind. It was nice to be out doing something. I hadn’t gone out with people other than Wylie in a while. I’ve been so trapped in this phase of change that I haven’t really changed my scenery much. It was nice to see someone different for once.

“You should have brought Beth.” Jake turned his attention to me.

“Oh, yeah, I didn’t even think of that.” I said blankly.

“So, are you ready to get creamed?” Jake threatened me.

“Oh right. I can race a mean go kart.” I gave him my competitive face.

“Don’t worry guys,” Felicity said suddenly, “you’ll all be trailing behind me.”

There was an uproar of laughter among the group.

We entered into the karts all lined up behind each other. I sat tight in my seat, preparing myself. My adrenaline began to boil and my heart beat faster as they let us out of the pits.

Instantly I was on the gas. I had a tendency of never touching the brake, but Jake didn’t know this because he’s never been go karting with me. I weaved my way around Jake’s friends; the drawback to being started in the back. I came up on Adam, who gracefully pulled to the side, letting me pass. He knew it was on. Felicity was battling Jake for first and it was slowing the down. They couldn’t take the turns together because they both wanted to inside line. I pulled up behind them, waiting for one of them to faulter; it was Jake. On a right hand turn he was on the outside, Felicity took the tightest line and Jake, for an unknown reason took the outer edge, leaving me with a major breakthrough. I jammed on the gas pedal as my rear tires of this tiny go kart slid around the outside. They caught the track again and I took off, speeding quickly away from Felicity with Jake now trailing her. I held that place for a couple laps before the race ended. We all pulled into the pits and got out of our karts. My hand were shaking with excitement.

“OH MY GOD!!” My sister screamed, “Are you serious?”

I laughed hard, “Jake left an opening, I would have never gotten by you guys otherwise.”

“Your car was faster.” Jake pouted.

“Excuses, excuses. Suck it up, baby!” I hollered back at him. I could hear Adam laugh from behind me.

“You lost and your bummed. Sucks for you!” I jumped up and jogged away. Jake came running after me. He snagged me around the waist and pulled me to him.

“Oh no you don’t. I’ve got one thing that will settle this.” He smiled devilishly.

We approached the drag course slowly. I watched the lights; yellow, yellow, yellow, green. The car screamed into action, filling the air with the thunder of the engines.

“Drag racing?” I said.

“Oh, yeah. This is simple, first one to the finish line, best two out of three.” He smirked.

“Fine. Let’s go.” I challenged him.

The entire group lined up. There were six dragsters total and six of us. We sat in our cars side by side. From first car to last it was Felicity, Adam, me, Jake, and his two friends Kyle and Jeff. We were given instructions. We only hit the break to stage, then we hold it until the green light. At that point you pressed the gas and off of the break. We were to press the button on the stearing wheel when we passed the yellow barrels to shift. We only do that once. At the end of the track, the dragsters stop and reset on their own. First one to the finish line wins, best two out of three, just like Jake said.

We staged out dragsters for the first time. I helded the brake hard with my other foot hovering over the gas. I glanced at Jake and back at the lights. Yellow, yellow, yellow… Jake’s car revs loudly and pulls away. Green and I follow. I screamed at the excitement. The cars braked abruptly and began to roll back again.

“What was that?” I screamed over at Jake, “you left on yellow!”

“The lights are late, leave on the last yellow and you’ll leave soon enough.” He smirked again at me.

“Oh, you’re going down!” I pouted.

Again, the lights staged, our left foot on the brake and our right foot eager to pound the gas. Yellow, yellow, ye… I thrust down on the gas pedal, then shifted passed the barrels. First place! I raised my arms and glanced over at Jake, he had been right behind me.

“Next one decides.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Let’s make a bet.” He said nonchalantly.

I furrowed my brows, “What kind of bet?”

“I win, you have to kiss me.” Jake smiled as the cars reset.

“Fine, I win and you buy me ice cream.” I opened my eyes wide and made a face.

The lights staged again, foot on the brake, ready to pounce. Yellow, yellow, y… Jake’s car roars away from the starting line. I instinctively hit the gas, but shift too early out of nervousness. Damn…

The cars reset and we exit. The group walks to the parking lot, ready to leave. Everyone was laughing and cracking jokes. None of them knew about the bet. Jake didn’t say anything. Neither would I.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated.