New To The Feeling

Carpool

For the rest of the day I walked with my head down and dragging my feet. I felt awful. I knew that I hurt Wylie's feelings and I had sworn I'd never let anyone down or alone. I couldn't believe what I had done. It’s not worth worrying about. He'll get over it I thought to myself. I knew he'd get over it.

The school day had finally come to an end. I was free for the rest of the afternoon. I could go home and relax. I had nothing to worry about anymore. Tomorrow was a new day.

"Hey you!" I heard a familiar voice yell.

"Hi Beth. How was your day?" I hollered back across the parking lot.

"Typical I guess... nothing special. Wanna go out to lunch?" she said inquisitively.

"No not today. I really wanna just go home and lay around." I gave a tired face.

"Not a problem, girlie! I'll see you later then!" Beth walked towards her car.

I had finally made it to my car. I wasn't parked very far away but it seemed like the longest walk I had taken in a long time. I fumbled through my purse trying to find my keys and ID card. I pulled my keys out and inserted the car key into the lock of my blue and white banged up 1955 Bel Air. I had gotten it a couple years ago. My dad promised we were going to fix it up and get it working right. We got it working, but never quite fixed it up. I jumped into my car, started the engine and reached over to roll down the passenger window. When I looked back to the driver window I was startled by the man standing at my window. I rolled it down and with a snide tone said, "What could you possibly need now?"

"Nothing really. I just wanted to say hi..." Wylie smiled. "Ya know... and maybe..."

"You need a ride?" I asked but I hoped he didn't answer or didn't hear me or just by miracle his hearing became disabled just for the moment I asked.

"Yes..." He smiled that charming smile again and batted his eyelashes. "Pah-leeez?"

"OK, get in." I said hesitantly. He jumped into the passenger side placing his binder on the floor and his arm on the windowsill.

"Alright Wylie. I have rules when you ride in my car. These rules you must abide by or you will never be able to ride in my car again. You will also be thrown from the car while it is in motion. You understand?"

Wylie looked at me curiously.

I giggled and continued. "One, you do not, I repeat, do not touch my radio and/or CD player. Two, there will be not screaming or loud noises while I drive. Three, I do not tolerate backseat drivers. Four, give me directions before it's too late. Got that?" Wylie nodded and laughed. He had such a cute laugh.

I pulled away from the parking spot only to see my very own prince charming crossing in front of me. Jake walked to my window, kissed me on the cheek and glanced at Wylie.

"Have I met you?" Jake asked. He squinted at Wylie like he was a complicated math problem or something.

"No we haven't. I'm Wylie. Its nice to meet you." Wylie outstretched his hand and Jake shook it.

"Nice to meet you, too." Jake spoke slowly as if he didn't understand. "I'll call you later sweetie."

"Ok, hun! Byeee!" I held the "e" at the end and then smiled a big smile before driving off.

"How is it that people go to the same school and have never met each other?" Wylie asked without looking away from his window.

"I don't know. I mean, we are a big school. But still, you're kinda hard to miss" I smiled at Wylie. He smirked, cocked his head and turned away. I wonder what that meant...

"So why are you dating that guy anyway? What's so special about him anyway?" Wylie looked at me with his stone cold eyes.

"Because... he's sweet. He likes me for me... where exactly am I going?" I said hastily.

"Oh, right at the light. Left at the second driveway. You can drop me off on the corner." Wylie paused. "Have you ever thought that maybe someone else out there might like you for you? I mean, not everyone is out there to just date you or sleep with you or... I don't know."

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. He seemed uncomfortable with the topic of conversation. He brought it up though. It's not my fault. "Well, what are you getting at?"

"Nothing. Just... nothing." Wylie squirmed again. "Just drop me off at this corner."

"Ok." I pulled over that hunk of junk I was driving. "See ya later. We gotta get working on that project."

"Yeah... I know. Maybe I should get your number so I can call you and figure out when we're gonna do this ish." He looked down at the ground. I had never seen him at a loss for words.

"Yeah sure... here." I picked up a pen and a receipt that was lying on the floor. I wrote my number on it and handed it to him. "There... that's my cell. If I don't answer you have to leave a message or I won't call you back."

"Is that another one of your 'rules'?" he smiled. It was the first time he smiled since he got in the car.

"Ok, I gotta get home. Later, kiddo!" I smiled, waved and drove off. In my mirror I could see him standing on the corner watching me leave.

On the ride home I felt... empty. Like something had been taken. Like someone had just broken into my life, my home, my thoughts and disrupted the whole process. I don't know what it was about Wylie that got me so tied up, but it did.

Ring... Riiiinnnngg...

"Hello?" I hadn't looked at the front to see who it was. The phone went to static, then hung up. "Must have been a blind spot or something..."