Temptation

Mark Twain

I sat next to the waterfall for what must have been ages with my arms wrapped around my legs hugging them to my chest. Alyssa. The name repeated in my head over and over again. Why did I know the name? Why couldn't I place it? I knew without a doubt that I had never heard it in the garden, but that didn't change facts. The name Alyssa was one that I knew. It was something that...it felt right in a way that I couldn't explain.

"Well, well," a voice whispered around me. "This was a pleasure I never thought to be allowed."

Turning I saw a man that I had only seen once or twice since I had been in the garden. "You're Satan." The name fit him and yet it didn't. Of all of us, I would have said that his name fit him most though. Why, I wouldn't have been able to say. And so I didn't try to think about it. It simply wasn't worth it.

A smile curled his lips upward as he continued watching me. "So they tell me," he agreed with a soft chuckle. "Then again, they tell me that your name is Eve," he pointed out.

I felt an odd twang run through me. The name sounded even worse coming from his lips than it did from either "God" or "Adam". There was something mocking and challenging in his tone. Something that I couldn't quite place so close and yet out of reach.

I hated being so clueless.

"Yes, they tell me that too," I finally agreed clenching my jaw.

The smile that had towed at his lips faded a little at my response. We stared at each other. It was as if he was trying to say something to me and I didn't know what it was. Finally he sighed. "Well than little Angel," Satan finally said shaking his head. "I suppose that for now they must be right."

I could feel apprehension building inside of me. There was something more to all of this. I didn't know what it was, but I knew that there was more to it. I just wished that I knew what that more was. "And after that?" I pressed crossing my arms under my bare breasts.

The smile that had faded began to grow again accompanied by a soft chuckle. "After that is when the real fun begins now isn't it?" he asked turning on his heel. Loose black leggings and the long jacket that he wore spun around his form. I would have killed just for the jacket along. Something that I knew the name of even though I wasn't sure how.

"What kind of answer is that!" I demanded.

He laughed at me without turning back. "You'll get it when the time comes Angel," he said with a smile. "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"