Letters to No One

Letter #2

Dear Reader,

Pain is an interesting phenomenon.

For me, there are three different levels of pain, which have levels within themselves.

Emotional, Physical, and Mental.

Emotional pain is so complex and frightening that the human race seems to not want to deal with it at all. We go to psychiatrists, take pills and do drugs to get rid of it all. But the truth is, if you can deal with the kind of emotional pain that is so heart wrenching, you have made you heart just a little bit bigger. And as we deal with it, we learn the nature of acceptance. Every time a person can cope with horrible emotional pain on their own, a part of them inside dies, and is replaced with something even better.

Physical pain. What a wonder to behold.

Have you ever felt a kind of pain that leaves you wanting more? Like when you stare directly into the sun, feel your eyes swell, look away, and wait for it to die down. Then you’re left with a little bit of that pain that makes you want more so that it will go away.

Or when you have the hiccups for a long time, and then finally they go away at the most random time. You get a weird feeling in the middle of your throat that makes you want the hiccups again.

Is that what people feel when they self harm? Do they get left with a little tingle of pain that makes them want to cut again? Or do they feel that their emotions are so out of control, that any physical pain they feel has to be better? Is that true?

Mental pain.
Brain damage.
Disorders.
Insanity.
The worst of it all is to have mental pain.

Or maybe not.

When people are put into a mental hospital, it is because there is something in their mind that is wrong, or something inside them isn’t right. They might be living in their own fantasy world of fairies and happily ever afters, no wars and peace. A world that won’t come true.

Where as everyone who isn’t considered mental is living in a world of depression, skepticism, violence and war.

So I ask you, who is living the better life?