Letters to No One

Letter #3

To Whoever Gets this Letter,

Where did our happiness go?

It used to be so close and dear, whispering messages in our ear.

That wasn’t supposed to rhyme, you know.

Whenever I feel down, I try to remember what it used to be like. How those days of summer blessed us with laughter and life. When I sing, I feel the energy arise in me once again, where it has been buried for so long.

I sing the songs we used to sing together, that are nothing but memories now. And when I hear them, my stomach twists into a knot. I don’t exactly know why.

Maybe it’s because we lost that happiness in the years that we changed into something so “grown up” that the silly things that a five year old would laugh at, now just makes us uncomfortable.

Maybe it’s because you changed more than I did. Maybe it’s the opposite.

Maybe it’s because the jokes you make now are that of sex and drugs because you can’t think of anything else to make you laugh.

Why? Why make sick jokes like that?

I’m not sure I want to “grow up” just yet.

I feel safe in the comfort of laughter that was brought by the sunlight in the meadows of summer.

And for all those skeptics out there, all the emos and punks who think that this world can never be like that, I say that your imagination lost it’s light long ago.

How are you gunna make it that way, if you just sit around moping about it, while I try to do little things everyday like smiling, even if I’m tired.

Maybe I was like that once too. I once thought that I was so deep within myself, and I thought that I had figured out everything about life, and how cruel it is. And I thought I was right.

But in the deepness of my winter, I suddenly found and incredible summer.

Everything I once thought I knew was true, was wrong in my mind. Why moan when you can laugh? Why laugh when you can cry? Why cry when you can frown? Why frown when you can smile? Why smile when you can sing?