Letters to No One

Letter #4

To Whoever May Be Reading:

What do you fear?

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, “There is nothing to fear but fear itself.”

I don’t know if I agree with his statement.

No matter who you are, you have a fear. Whether it is spiders, bugs, dead animals, or something much bigger.

No one is fearless. People may act like that, but the truth is, they might have more fears than you do, and are just trying to hide them.

Those people are usually really quiet, or really loud.

I am one of those people. Are you?

I fear.
I’m scared.
I’m afraid.
I don’t want to admit it.
I will.

I’m afraid, not of dying, like most kids are, but of not growing up to love someone like you never have before, not ever having a family apart from the one you were born into.

I’m afraid I’ll never grow to be what I’ve always wanted to be.
I’m afraid of not knowing what to do with my life.
I’m afraid that I’ll never love.

I’m afraid that there’s something inside me that’s preventing me from reaching out.

Well there. I’ve said it.
I am afraid.

But that shouldn’t keep me from living, right? I should move on, like I tell myself everyday. I’m going to live my life with all my soul, and I won’t let my fears control the person who has been longing to be free. I won’t let my fears become me. I will overcome my fears.

Because that’s who I am.
It’s who I choose to be.

Now the question is, what do you fear?
More importantly, do you have the courage to overcome it?