Status: Completed. Comments?

The Passenger's Seat

Five

They drove off in the nick of time, just when the policed arrived at the street Garrett found Roxie in. The Cobra Starship CD was still playing, and in the midst of everything, Garrett still managed to turn the volume up a notch.

The police were far, but they were definitely on their tail. Garrett drove faster than he ever drove before, taking left and right turns in different streets and avenues, almost running over a group of younger looking drunk kids.

On top of the song that was playing were Roxie’s earsplitting screams and the sound of her kicking all over with her bare feet. Her heels were off because she threw both of them angrily at Garrett when he put her in the car. He was positive he had a bruise in his cheek and his lips were bleeding, but he decided to worry about that and Roxie later on.

He centered his mind on all the TV shows and movies he watched that involved frenzied car chases, which more than half ended in one of the cars extremely damaged, or worse, one of the people dead. Think, Garrett. Think, he instructed himself frantically.

“I told you to leave me there and you didn’t listen! I can’t believe you!” Garrett heard Roxie cry, along with the increasing sound of the police siren. They were coming closer, fast.

“Shit,” he said. What now? And once again he heard Mark’s omniscient voice inside his head. If you can’t run, hide, said his brother plainly.

An alley, thought Garrett. Just as he was about to turn the steering wheel right toward another street, Roxie put both her hand on the wheel, veering it left, towards the lamp post.

“What the hell are you doing!” he exclaimed, and just as he said it, they hit the post.

Garrett’s heart was thumping as he opened his eyes. He felt all around his body to check if he was still alive and whole. There wasn’t a scratch on his body except the ones he got from Roxie’s shoes. He turned toward Roxie. She was leaning on the passenger door, unconscious, with blood flowing from her head. Garrett put her hair behind her ears, away from the blood.

The post had dented deeply into his car’s left headlight and white smoke was rising from the hood. He could hear the police car closer than ever. Garrett feared the car would be too damaged to run. But he had to try. Only one more turn for them and the police would see them.

And Garrett knew he wouldn’t last a minute in juvenile hall, with their little cells, terrible food and cold showers. He was only seventeen. He had his whole life ahead of him.

Then there was Roxie. Her, he had no idea about. Garrett couldn’t seem to figure her out one bit. Sometimes she seemed like this strong, fearless girl who could face absolutely anything, then seconds later would shrivel up and cry.

For the sake of his life and Roxie’s, Garrett put his car in reverse placed his feet on the pedal, and, miraculously – swerved toward the other street as the threatening sound of the siren was approached.

“Oh yes!” he yelled, feeling exhilarated, and veered towards the first alley way he saw.